• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to get unlimited data for new customers...must be 4g phone

Could you guys share your experience with me. Here is my situation:

12/15 - bought smartphone (gnex ;) ), signed up for $50/10GB double data package
12/16 - billing cycle ended
12/17 - got the $30 dollar hotspot, and $30 unlimited data showed up on account instead of $50/10gb
today - looking at the online bill due in January for 11/17 - 12/16. There are 3 charges for data:
1. Email & Web Unlimited 12/17 - 01/16 $29.99
2. Data Package 10GB 11/17 - 12/16 $50.00
50.00/mo / full month on new plan
3. 4G SMARTPHONE Hotspot 12/17 - 01/16 $30.00
total: $110

So is this normal? I was only on the 50gb, for 2 days, why are they charging me the full months $50?
Also, what is email and web unlimited for 29.99? On my account it says unlimited data 29.99. Same thing?

I don't know if I should call csr to look at my account right now, as I don't want to draw attention to the unlimited hotspot that they probably shouldn't have sold me since i wasn't grandfathered for unlimited. At the same time I feel like I shouldn't be charged for a months worth of data when I only signed the contract for data the day before the month ended.

It should be prorated since you were only on it for 2 days but its showing you being charged from Nov 17-Dec 16, unless you had another smartphone prior to your GNex. And yes, that is the unlimited data-it says the same thing on my bill.

Upvote 0
Hi all....

I'm going to receive my Rezound today and it will be my very first smartphone. I am super excited to stumble upon these forums and this thread especially. Because this is my first smartphone, I was hoping someone could offer me the best steps to take to better my chances of getting this deal to work. I'm already on a family contract that expires in a few days so we just got new phones (I'm only one with a smartphone). When I ordered the phones on the phone I tried to setup the 10GB for 50 dollar data deal and the woman said I would set up data when I actually got the phone. I wasn't sure what she meant and now that I'm reading this thread I want to know exactly what I should do when I get my phone. Activate it the normal way it instructs me to do and inquire about the plan code #76153 or should I call a certain number? Thank you VERY MUCH for any advice!

Upvote 0
Hi all....

I'm going to receive my Rezound today and it will be my very first smartphone. I am super excited to stumble upon these forums and this thread especially. Because this is my first smartphone, I was hoping someone could offer me the best steps to take to better my chances of getting this deal to work. I'm already on a family contract that expires in a few days so we just got new phones (I'm only one with a smartphone). When I ordered the phones on the phone I tried to setup the 10GB for 50 dollar data deal and the woman said I would set up data when I actually got the phone. I wasn't sure what she meant and now that I'm reading this thread I want to know exactly what I should do when I get my phone. Activate it the normal way it instructs me to do and inquire about the plan code #76153 or should I call a certain number? Thank you VERY MUCH for any advice!

Call Verizon and tell them you would like to take advantage of the unlimited hotspot feature and give them the plan code.

Upvote 0
I have a quick question about this. I was just curious if anyone has tried this and NOT received unlimited data, or canceled the hotspot after the first month and had their data plan returned to what it previously was as a result? Basically trying to see what the worse case scenario would be for me if I tried it and things didn't work out.

Upvote 0
I just called on this. It may be worth nothing I had the 4GB plan for $30, which used to be the 2GB plan before the recent promotion. I asked to add 4G hotspot, which she did, after several times of saying "Hmmm, let's see what's going on here". Once she was done, she said, "It looks like you will get unlimited data now." I had her add it to my second phone as well with the same result. My account now shows both phones having the $29.99 plan/unlimited data. Both phones are fairly new, less than 60 days old. Good luck guys!

Upvote 0
FYI- I saw today on CNN that Verizon considers this a "loop hole" and has taken steps to close it. They are also reviewing account changes made in the last several days, and at least one person reported being contacted by Verizon to "correct" this "error."
Hopefully this is just in the past several days because if they get rid of unlimited, I'm cancelling the HotSpot. It is useless with a tiered plan. I go through 2GB in one night, streaming Netflix through the Roku.

Upvote 0
oh crap, what to do???

should have read this earlier today...as u can tell by my user name I was with sprint as well...switched today without having to pay an etf...but thats another story lol

so anyways I am a heavy data user so I went all out and bought the 20 GB data for 80 dollars...now if I would add the hotspot for 30 dollars would that bring my bill up to an additional 110...or would it somehow change my entire price??? ...I am still somewhat confused, and it doesnt sound like this will work much longer...someone please explain to this tech illiterate fool what he would be paying, thanks.

Upvote 0
oh crap, what to do???

should have read this earlier today...as u can tell by my user name I was with sprint as well...switched today without having to pay an etf...but thats another story lol

so anyways I am a heavy data user so I went all out and bought the 20 GB data for 80 dollars...now if I would add the hotspot for 30 dollars would that bring my bill up to an additional 110...or would it somehow change my entire price??? ...I am still somewhat confused, and it doesnt sound like this will work much longer...someone please explain to this tech illiterate fool what he would be paying, thanks.

No you would be paying a total of $60 for unlimited internet($29.99) and unlimited hotspot($30). If you receive a discount with your job it will be a little cheaper.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones