• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to move apps to sd card on an unrooted device: A noobs guide. **Updated 09/02/11**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upvote 0
Thanks, this is the best quick solution for low internal memory Android 2.2 phones! Google wasn't redirecting me to this!

I did this on a Linux machine. How:
. Instead of "HTC sync" (only for windows) use "USB share" with no need to turn on 3G or WiFi.
. The directory where to run the commands is android-sdk-linux_x86/platform-tools
. use "root ./"(...) before every command, so that you get permissions to run (do "sudo ./adb kill-server" if you've forgot to put "root").

Just a comment for HTC and Google:
This problem was a huge lack of future vision when making HTC Desire; OR was a despicable way to force consumers to buy new phones the next year! Shame on you!

My Noob's Guide to this Process. (The phone doesn't need to be rooted)

*Updated: Widget Info / Guide / Fix *

*Updated 2: Added some more info for windows 7 users and for new SDK*

Note:

• This requires Froyo 2.2
  • It doesn't void your warranty
  • It doesn't delete existing apps
  • It's perfectly safe
  • It doesn't require rooting.

I realise there are a few threads about this, but I thought I would make a new one for my easier guide, and hopefully people will find it more easily as they won't have to scroll through pages of other threads to find an answer.
I am now successfully running most apps from my SD Card now. I just thought I would make an easier guide as the others are fairly complex for noobs like me. So here is my guide - hope it helps :)

1. Download the SDK from here- Android SDK | Android Developers
  2. Extract using something like WinRar
  3. Copy the second folder into the sdk named "android-sdk-windows" to the desktop.
  4. Open the folder on the desktop and open the file, SDK Manager.exe (as no such file as setup.exe exists in the new version of the SDk)
  5. Close the command / windows command prompt window that opens
  6. Untick all options you are promted to download except ones like the manuals, and Essentially, ensure the USB driver option is selected / ticked.
  7. Let these files download
  8. Ensure on your phone, USB Debugging is on - Go to Settings/Applications/Development/USB Debugging and ensure its ticked / on.
  9. Download and install HTC Sync from HTC's website for your device.
  10. Connect your phone by USB and select the HTC sync option when it pops up with charge only, disk mode etc.
  11. Allow the sync to complete.
  12. Open windows command promt. Start / Run
  13. Type in (without quotations) "cmd"
  14. The following should appear. (with your user account instead of William - note its "users" in windows 7, not documents and settings
    2u7rrm0.jpg
15. Type in the following after the ">" at each step (without quotations,and including spaces and capital letters)

"cd desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools" (might be "cd desktop\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools" in windows 7)
"adb devices"
"adb shell"
A $ sign should pop up
"pm setInstallLocation 2"
Another $ should pop up

And your done. Close everything, disconnect phone, turn off phone and then turn it back on again.

16. Now the phone will be set to install all apps you install onto the SD card. However, current apps on phone will mostly still be stored on the internal memory. This process doesn't move these apps for you, it adds the ability. So you must now manually move those already installed on the phone.

To do this, go to settings / applications / manage applications
Then you just click on an app, and the move to SD card box should no longer be Grey. So you must now move all the apps you want onto the SD Card.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: I would not advise moving apps like widgets, or anything system related. Furthermore, for example, I have the 3g watchdog app constantly running, so it is advisable to keep apps like that on the internal memory.
See below for more information on widgets...

If you get an invalid path message, it suggests it cannot find the required folder you are asking it to. My method only works if you have saved it to the desktop. If you have saved it elsewhere it won't work. You would have to redirect the desktop part of the code ("cd desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools") to somewhere else.

For example if you saved it in my docs instead, it would be - "cd My Documents\android-sdk-windows\tools". That's why I used the desktop, it's far easier to code the cmd to find the file.

Finally, part of the problem is that when you extract the core sdk rar file, it is extracted to a folder wherever it was saved originally titled android-sdk-windows, but in that is another folder called android-sdk-windows, and then only once you open that second folder do you gain access to the tools, usb driver folders and so on. Therefore, you must either, remove the first folder so you are left with just a folder named android-sdk-windows which inside contains tools... or you must recode my above to say "cd Desktop\android-sdk-windows\android-sdk-windows\tools".

Likewise, beware as I can't remember for certain, but I think the sdk in its core form is called android-sdk_r07-windows or something (08/09 too), so rename this to android-sdk-windows.

One final note. Fairly irrelevant to this process but since this is being viewed a lot I'll say it anyway. Don't ever use a task killer. Wrecks the phone! Happened to me, happened to thousands. Ask below for more info.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Widget Fix / Guide

Just to clarify about widgets for anyone unclear. There seems to be a bit of confusion here. This may have been said earlier I don't know, but again hopefully this is simpler. Ill add this to the first post too.

With this process, you can still use widgets, but not if they are on the SD Card (which they automatically will be assuming you got my original guide process to work.) Ive tested this, and it works every time for me. I know some widgets are weird but I think it will work. So to get a working widget....

Note: Some irritating widgets may require you to uninstall the app before you proceed to step 1.

1. Download and install the widget from the android market
  2. Go to Settings/Applications/Manage applications/Downloaded (or All) and find/select your widget.
  3. Select move to phone.
  4. Turn off the phone
  5. Turn on the phone
  6. Voila. Widget should now work.
------------------------------------------------

Good luck. Any questions just ask. Ill check back regularly too. Hopefully, this guide is a little simpler for noobs :)

William

Upvote 0
I have a Samsung 2.2 Android phone and when I saw that you needed to download the HTC Sync and I don't was a HTC phone and I would like to use it since I'm running low on Internal memory and some apps can't be moved to the SD card
Thanks !!!

I have already answered this question just a few posts before yours.

Upvote 0
Hi, these directions worked perfectly for me. Thanks for taking the time to post them. One issue, when I restarted my phone all of the thumbnail icons for the apps I had moved to the SD card had changed to the default android thumbnail. Once I moved the apps back to the phone and restarted the phone again the icons were restored to their originals. Does anyone know why this is happening or how to properly move the icons along with the apps to the SD card?

Using an unrooted LG Optimus T with stock 2.2 Froyo.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the clarification and somewhat in depth information :)

Having said that, 3,809 views later and only 1 comment on the word n00b being offensive.... I think i'll stick with the guide title for now :p

no one seems to be offended about the "For Dummies" line of books, so i don't see why a "for n00bs" thread would be offensive either. As for the post itself, i can't seem to figure out what everyone is talking about in here. i stumbled onto this particular thread looking for an answer as to why, when i move an app from the phone to the SD card, it suddenly shows as much smaller than it did before. Example: GameApp1 is 34mb on the phone. I click the "move to SD Card" option, and a few moments later it shows that the move was successful but the 'size' of the app now shows as 415kb instead of 34mb. Now, i am guessing that this is because most of the app is now stored on the sd card and the 415kb is the amount of info that has to be stored on the phone ... kinda like the windows registry? can anyone elaborate on this for me, please and thank you.
:eek:

Upvote 0
Hi, these directions worked perfectly for me. Thanks for taking the time to post them. One issue, when I restarted my phone all of the thumbnail icons for the apps I had moved to the SD card had changed to the default android thumbnail. Once I moved the apps back to the phone and restarted the phone again the icons were restored to their originals. Does anyone know why this is happening or how to properly move the icons along with the apps to the SD card?

Using an unrooted LG Optimus T with stock 2.2 Froyo.

Bob,
this happens, as i understand it, because the 'thumbnail' or icon for an app is stored in the same place as the app itself. when you move the app to the sdcard, the icon (thumbnail) is now in a new location and the android OS needs to reboot to find it again. you're not doing anything wrong. After you move an app to the sdcard, just shut the phone off completely for like 10 - 30 seconds and then restart it and the icons should be back (always works for me, anyway, but i have a Sanyo ZIO, not an Optimus, although i AM using 2.2.1 froyo as far as i know). i hope this helps you.

Upvote 0
My Noob's Guide to this Process. (The phone doesn't need to be rooted)

*Updated: Widget Info / Guide / Fix *

*Updated 2: Added some more info for windows 7 users and for new SDK*

Note:

• This requires Froyo 2.2
  • It doesn't void your warranty
  • It doesn't delete existing apps
  • It's perfectly safe
  • It doesn't require rooting.

I realise there are a few threads about this, but I thought I would make a new one for my easier guide, and hopefully people will find it more easily as they won't have to scroll through pages of other threads to find an answer.
I am now successfully running most apps from my SD Card now. I just thought I would make an easier guide as the others are fairly complex for noobs like me. So here is my guide - hope it helps :)

1. Download the SDK from here- Android SDK | Android Developers
  2. Extract using something like WinRar
  3. Copy the second folder into the sdk named "android-sdk-windows" to the desktop.
  4. Open the folder on the desktop and open the file, SDK Manager.exe (as no such file as setup.exe exists in the new version of the SDk)
  5. Close the command / windows command prompt window that opens
  6. Untick all options you are promted to download except ones like the manuals, and Essentially, ensure the USB driver option is selected / ticked.
  7. Let these files download
  8. Ensure on your phone, USB Debugging is on - Go to Settings/Applications/Development/USB Debugging and ensure its ticked / on.
  9. Download and install HTC Sync from HTC's website for your device.
  10. Connect your phone by USB and select the HTC sync option when it pops up with charge only, disk mode etc.
  11. Allow the sync to complete.
  12. Open windows command promt. Start / Run
  13. Type in (without quotations) "cmd"
  14. The following should appear. (with your user account instead of William - note its "users" in windows 7, not documents and settings
    2u7rrm0.jpg
15. Type in the following after the ">" at each step (without quotations,and including spaces and capital letters)

"cd desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools" (might be "cd desktop\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools" in windows 7)
"adb devices"
"adb shell"
A $ sign should pop up
"pm setInstallLocation 2"
Another $ should pop up

And your done. Close everything, disconnect phone, turn off phone and then turn it back on again.

16. Now the phone will be set to install all apps you install onto the SD card. However, current apps on phone will mostly still be stored on the internal memory. This process doesn't move these apps for you, it adds the ability. So you must now manually move those already installed on the phone.

To do this, go to settings / applications / manage applications
Then you just click on an app, and the move to SD card box should no longer be Grey. So you must now move all the apps you want onto the SD Card.

Note: I would not advise moving apps like widgets, or anything system related. Furthermore, for example, I have the 3g watchdog app constantly running, so it is advisable to keep apps like that on the internal memory.
See below for more information on widgets...

If you get an invalid path message, it suggests it cannot find the required folder you are asking it to. My method only works if you have saved it to the desktop. If you have saved it elsewhere it won't work. You would have to redirect the desktop part of the code ("cd desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools") to somewhere else.

For example if you saved it in my docs instead, it would be - "cd My Documents\android-sdk-windows\tools". That's why I used the desktop, it's far easier to code the cmd to find the file.

Finally, part of the problem is that when you extract the core sdk rar file, it is extracted to a folder wherever it was saved originally titled android-sdk-windows, but in that is another folder called android-sdk-windows, and then only once you open that second folder do you gain access to the tools, usb driver folders and so on. Therefore, you must either, remove the first folder so you are left with just a folder named android-sdk-windows which inside contains tools... or you must recode my above to say "cd Desktop\android-sdk-windows\android-sdk-windows\tools".

Likewise, beware as I can't remember for certain, but I think the sdk in its core form is called android-sdk_r07-windows or something (08/09 too), so rename this to android-sdk-windows.

One final note. Fairly irrelevant to this process but since this is being viewed a lot I'll say it anyway. Don't ever use a task killer. Wrecks the phone! Happened to me, happened to thousands. Ask below for more info.....

Widget Fix / Guide

Just to clarify about widgets for anyone unclear. There seems to be a bit of confusion here. This may have been said earlier I don't know, but again hopefully this is simpler. Ill add this to the first post too.

With this process, you can still use widgets, but not if they are on the SD Card (which they automatically will be assuming you got my original guide process to work.) Ive tested this, and it works every time for me. I know some widgets are weird but I think it will work. So to get a working widget....

Note: Some irritating widgets may require you to uninstall the app before you proceed to step 1.

1. Download and install the widget from the android market
  2. Go to Settings/Applications/Manage applications/Downloaded (or All) and find/select your widget.
  3. Select move to phone.
  4. Turn off the phone
  5. Turn on the phone
  6. Voila. Widget should now work.
------------------------------------------------

Good luck. Any questions just ask. Ill check back regularly too. Hopefully, this guide is a little simpler for noobs :)

William

Hi, I m useing sony ericsson W8 mobile....
i want move apps to sd cards...
i try ur steps given...
In step 15 up to this command works prooerly "cd desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools"
But, "adb devices" command promt shows like this
'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Plz, help me to solve it.......

Upvote 0
Guide is out of date. But essentially its because you're doing it wrong. adb must be in the folder you are using in your command line.

eg if you are using c:\android-sdk\platform\adb then it adb must actually be there. If its not it may be in c:\android-sdk\platform-tools\adb. Amend your command accordingly.

Im sure this is mentioned in all these out of date guides somehwhere.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones