• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to prevent incoming interruption when transfer data?

spman

Android Enthusiast
Feb 26, 2013
I am going to use Samsung SmartSwitch to transfer from old phone (Note8) to new phone (A32). During the transfer process I do not want incoming calls/messages/whatsapp/app notifications... anything to disturb during the transfer process. (Intention is not to interrupt the transfer process or stuck or incomplete message).

What quick settings panel icons should I disable and enable? What else to do to prevent interruption and smooth transfer? Thanks

screenshot of Note8 quick settings panel icons: https://i.imgur.com/sXeqI0g.png https://i.imgur.com/U4bE324.png

What is the difference between "do not disturb" vs "airplane mode"? Should I switch on airplane mode too?
Airplane mode won't work if you plan on using smart switch wirelessly. If you hook up the phones together via a USB cable, then airplane mode should work.

DND prevents the phone from notifying you of incoming calls or notifications. Airplane mode turns off all wireless confections like wifi, cellular, or Bluetooth.

Upvote 0
VoLTE is Voice over LTE: as the name implies, this is for handling voice calls via 4G. Nothing to do with SMS. Personally I'd not bother turning that off: unless you only have 4G it won't stop calls (the phone will just switch to a different band to take the call).

Do you need the SIM for this transfer? Removing that will stop calls and SMS. If you are using a wired transfer then airplane mode will stop everything except app notifications. If you use WiFi for the transfer then you can put the phone in airplane mode and then turn the WiFi on: that will stop calls and SMS, but won't stop email, WhatsApp/Signal/whatever.

None of this will stop app notifications, for that you need Do Not Disturb mode.

Of course by the time you've finished fiddling with all of these things you could probably have completed the transfer ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones