• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How to return to pure V4 or V6 Verizon stock with only CWM recovery

Why go back to V6 and take OTA? If you are going back to stock, just use the LG Mobile support tool and do "Recovery phone" or options -> "Upgrade Recovery" if you're on the newer version. It's the easiest way to be on pure stock with the latest update. I just can't see why anyone would want to go back to stock, sans thinking about getting their phone replaced for warranty work.

Well you hit it, they may wanna see the phone for warranty work.

Sure, I could use the support tool, if I was on windoze, I am on Ubuntu Linux. Got another way to take me back to stock?

Upvote 0
Nope, you're pretty much looking at this as your option. Hopefully it works for you, but if you were on ICS at any point, you may have issues taking the V7 or V8 OTA. Just a word of warning as nandroids don't replace all the partitions on the phone. For best results, flash the V6 radio files as well.

That's kinda what I figured. I have WINE installed but I can't be sure 100% that it would run correctly.

Upvote 0
That's kinda what I figured. I have WINE installed but I can't be sure 100% that it would run correctly.

I certainly wouldn't risk it. WINE can be finicky anyway. There's no sense in risking a brick. Like Neph said, if you use this method, make sure you flash the v6 baseband. I would add it in between flashing the v6 image and flashing the v6 stock recovery.

Upvote 0
Well you hit it, they may wanna see the phone for warranty work.

Sure, I could use the support tool, if I was on windoze, I am on Ubuntu Linux. Got another way to take me back to stock?

Saw this and thought I would add my 2 cents. Speaking from my experience, I've used the LG Support tool a couple of times now, and it worked perfectly. Returns your phone to stock (left me at V8 I believe).

You just really have to make sure all the drivers are installed, and the computer sees the phone, so when you go to connect the cable, the support tool takes over. Hopefully using this method, you won't have to worry about flashing any other files. It never seemed to matter what I had installed on my phone, it would return it to the state it was at when I took it out of the box.

The best way I found was to use the option where you enter your device ID, IMEI and S/N. It always links up and restores the phone in a relatively short period of time. I wish you the best of luck.

Upvote 0
Gotcha.... From there IF I get an OTA, will it brick?
It shouldn't brick, but it may not flash. Some times when you downgrade via nandroid, it still thinks you're on the higher version and won't always pull the update/flash the update. If this happens, you'll need to flash via the recovery tool. You'll know right away if you go back to V6 and your "about phone" still says v7 or v8.

Upvote 0
It shouldn't brick, but it may not flash. Some times when you downgrade via nandroid, it still thinks you're on the higher version and won't always pull the update/flash the update. If this happens, you'll need to flash via the recovery tool. You'll know right away if you go back to V6 and your "about phone" still says v7 or v8.

Gotcha

Upvote 0

Alrighty....I did the CWM flash and it worked. So I am on 2.3.6 V6

-----BUT-----

Whenever I go into settings/Update software, it goes through the motions, downloads behind the scenes, reboot, and get the little droid with arrow box...(orange progress bar). All goes ok, reboots, then it tells me the update failed.

FYI The download from D2 for the V6 doesn't flash. Found that out the hard way. In the middle of everything grabbed that download thinking it would work and no. You have to get the TDM V6. Little harried there because it was in the middle, figured that I can't connect to the computer while in CWM (LOL) so I removed the micro SD, put it in an adapter, download the TDM V6. There CWM doesn't see any files, you have to reboot ONLY recovery not system. Once there, you can flash the V6 again or do what I did and restart the process with clearing cache, Dalvik Cache, factory....etc....then doing the CWM recovery, then V6, then no root.

So it worked coming from cm 10.1 back to factory.

Upvote 0
Alrighty....I did the CWM flash and it worked. So I am on 2.3.6 V6

-----BUT-----

Whenever I go into settings/Update software, it goes through the motions, downloads behind the scenes, reboot, and get the little droid with arrow box...(orange progress bar). All goes ok, reboots, then it tells me the update failed.

FYI The download from D2 for the V6 doesn't flash. Found that out the hard way. In the middle of everything grabbed that download thinking it would work and no. You have to get the TDM V6. Little harried there because it was in the middle, figured that I can't connect to the computer while in CWM (LOL) so I removed the micro SD, put it in an adapter, download the TDM V6. There CWM doesn't see any files, you have to reboot ONLY recovery not system. Once there, you can flash the V6 again or do what I did and restart the process with clearing cache, Dalvik Cache, factory....etc....then doing the CWM recovery, then V6, then no root.

So it worked coming from cm 10.1 back to factory.
I read that three times and it still doesn't make sense. Are you trying to flash both of these files as update.zip? If so, that is where your issues are starting. The big archive is a nandroid backup that has to be restored like a normal nandroid. Then you flash the recovery restorer like an update.zip . Also, where is this TDMV6 that you are getting?

Upvote 0
I read that three times and it still doesn't make sense. Are you trying to flash both of these files as update.zip? If so, that is where your issues are starting. The big archive is a nandroid backup that has to be restored like a normal nandroid. Then you flash the recovery restorer like an update.zip . Also, where is this TDMV6 that you are getting?

Nope, The nandroid backup is the only thing restored per instructions.

Then I flashed the V6 Baseband from here
http://androidforums.com/spectrum-a...-baseband-flashable-basebands-lg-vs920-2.html

The issue with that was that on page one, D2 supplied the Baseband files for V6, but I think these were missing the Metadata.

Index of /baseband/ This is where TDM has his flashable Basebands

Then I flashed recovery restorer per instructions which has gotten us here

Upvote 0
OK, that looks good as well. The only thing I can think of is that the recovery didn't stick then. When you do "ADB REBOOT RECOVERY" does it take you to an android with a triangle, or into CWM. Don't use the button hold method or you'll most likely wipe your phone at this point.

Also, if you get the android with the triangle, are you able to connect to wifi and try to force the update in your phone? It's possible you're getting a corrupt package, but you'd need root to pull the update logs.

Upvote 0
OK, that looks good as well. The only thing I can think of is that the recovery didn't stick then. When you do "ADB REBOOT RECOVERY" does it take you to an android with a triangle, or into CWM. Don't use the button hold method or you'll most likely wipe your phone at this point.

Also, if you get the android with the triangle, are you able to connect to wifi and try to force the update in your phone? It's possible you're getting a corrupt package, but you'd need root to pull the update logs.

See this is what is odd...I am pretty sure.....although I need to reinstall ADB to double check (had it on a prior Linux install from a few years ago) that I am way past CWM. I am thinking it is gone. But it is worth looking into.

How can I force the update? Wasn't there a way to download the package to the phone manually and then it would find an update and start the update process? I thought I had done that once or twice before.....

The issue I get is that it does the download in the background, reboots the phone so I get the package box with the arrow next to the droid with the yellow progress bar, progress bar goes all the way across, phone reboots and boots up, and then I get the "update failed" box. I see where you are going though. Could be that it is not getting the full update from the cloud and therefore not able to apply it.

Upvote 0
It could be a multitude of things. Sadly, it sounds like you're going to need to break out the gingerbread root.

Without root:
Check /data/fota/ and see if you can find a log file there. If it is, it should say why the udpate failed.

With root:
Check /Cache/fota for the log files and the .bin file. If you find the .bin, pull it and try opening it as a .zip file. If it opens and you can see files, then it is pulling a good update. If it's corrupt, then you found part of your problem.

As for your other question, get on wifi then go into settings -> about phone -> check for update . It should find the update and start downloading it. You will get a download progress bar and everything. Once it's done downloading, it will prompt you to install. Let it and see what happens.

Upvote 0
It could be a multitude of things. Sadly, it sounds like you're going to need to break out the gingerbread root.

Without root:
Check /data/fota/ and see if you can find a log file there. If it is, it should say why the udpate failed.

With root:
Check /Cache/fota for the log files and the .bin file. If you find the .bin, pull it and try opening it as a .zip file. If it opens and you can see files, then it is pulling a good update. If it's corrupt, then you found part of your problem.

As for your other question, get on wifi then go into settings -> about phone -> check for update . It should find the update and start downloading it. You will get a download progress bar and everything. Once it's done downloading, it will prompt you to install. Let it and see what happens.

trying upate again to see if it will take.....downloaded.....said ok to prompt.....phone rebooted to box with arrow yellow progress bar and droid.....finished on progress bar.....blackscreen....rebooting......waiting.....lockscreen....unlock....Error Software Update Failed.

/data - empty
(no root grins and giggles) /cache - empty

Rich

Upvote 0
trying upate again to see if it will take.....downloaded.....said ok to prompt.....phone rebooted to box with arrow yellow progress bar and droid.....finished on progress bar.....blackscreen....rebooting......waiting.....lockscreen....unlock....Error Software Update Failed.

/data - empty
(no root grins and giggles) /cache - empty

Rich
That makes no sense what so ever. /cache/fota should at a bare minimum have a .bin file in it and should also have a log file for the update. Do these show up before clicking OK to the prompt to reboot? Also, when you did ADB REBOOT RECOVERY, what did you find out?

Upvote 0
That makes no sense what so ever. /cache/fota should at a bare minimum have a .bin file in it and should also have a log file for the update. Do these show up before clicking OK to the prompt to reboot? Also, when you did ADB REBOOT RECOVERY, what did you find out?

Yeah, I thought so too. Do you suppose Verizon gave up on updating 2.3.6 devices? Haven't tried the ADB yet will try tomorrow.

Upvote 0
I doubt it. The update files are still on the server and it'd be more hassle for them to remove it than to just leave them there as they would have to kill the V8 trigger as well. With that being said, if you are on stock V6 and no root, you could always take it to VZW and see if they can do a computer update with LGNPST.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I thought so too. Do you suppose Verizon gave up on updating 2.3.6 devices? Haven't tried the ADB yet will try tomorrow.

I've played around instyalling 2.3.6 roms and was always able to use the update tool to return my phone to stock. Have to argue with my phone sometimes as far as usb connection goes, but it always works. I use the method where you enter the IMEI, S/N, and model number, and never had a serious problem. Hope that helps. (Oh, I am using windows 7)

Upvote 0
I've played around instyalling 2.3.6 roms and was always able to use the update tool to return my phone to stock. Have to argue with my phone sometimes as far as usb connection goes, but it always works. I use the method where you enter the IMEI, S/N, and model number, and never had a serious problem. Hope that helps. (Oh, I am using windows 7)

HA!!! Good catch klembo! I am on Linux Mint aka Ubuntu.....I might be dangerous and try the update tool on Wine....but....I might not LOL

Upvote 0
Yeah, definitely avoid doing this with WINE. I don't even recommend a virtualbox install when doing a .cab flash. Taking this down to VZW and having them manually flash it is probably your safest option. That, or find someone with a WinXP or Win7 machine.

Yeah.....I will probably go to VZW Ann's have them flash....or I may just stay on 2.3.6 and just not even worry about it. Think I well probably do the latter.

Thanks guys
Rich

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones