1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General How to root, Lg specturm vs920 verizon

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rafaykhurram, Jan 9, 2014.

1. rafaykhurram

rafaykhurram Lurker
    None

Jan 2, 2012
    Hey
    Am new user here, So anyone can teach me. ?
    How to root, Lg specturm vs920 verizon ???????????

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    1) You ARE aware that rooting voids the warranty, right?

2) I don't know what you think you'll gain by rooting, but the only change is that you can run apps that need root - nothing else. Weigh that against the warranty.

3) Use Kingo Download it, press the Root button, plug your phone in and wait.

3. phreakerg

phreakerg Lurker
    None

Dec 5, 2013
    Male
    Telecommunications/Broadcast Engineer
    Oregon
    Hi.

Reference http://androidforums.com/spectrum-a...20-bootloader-pwnage-tool-lg-spectrum-4g.html and download & extract SpectrumPwnageTool

Noting you only want to root your vs920, ignore everything but the "PG_ICS_ROOT" folder. You will still maintain complete bluetooth abilities.

On your phone under Settings -> Developer, enable usb debugging & under connectivity -> usb connection select Internet Connection suboption Ethernet.

Now, connect phone directly to computer's usb port. let windows do its thing and the phone may prompt for connect options, just select internet, ethernet.

Now run windows-install.bat from the "PG_ICS_ROOT" folder. Read the disclaimer & note what it states. (drivers, etc)

the phone will restart a kabillion times (less than 5) and then you're all set and rooted w/ bluetooth operational & working =)

Rayc_7 and Nokoko like this.
  4. Nokoko

Nokoko Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 31, 2012
    Completely inaccurate and wrong information, please don't answer people's questions unless you know what you're talking about.

klembo1957 and bones420la like this.
  5. ereman

ereman Lurker
    None

Oct 22, 2011
    not quite true, I really like the spectrum, however it has the most, bloatware I've had on a phone did I say most ever.

6. bones420la

bones420la Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 29, 2012
    leland NC
    #1 not many people are still under warranty with a spectrum

#2 this phone is garbage without root. Its stuffed with bloatware...

#3 ONLY use the root/boot loader tool from death2all110 or playfulgod.

7. RobC0313

RobC0313 Lurker
    None

Mar 16, 2014
    I did this, and the great news is- it worked where Super One Click and Kingo didn't. My SD card was removed- everything was fine. I then proceeded to use Gemini App Manager to get rid of various and sundry bloatware- Hot Pursuit, Lets Golf, ESPN, Netflix and others. The app worked fine with no errors, and the phone seemed happy, other than I lost my wallpaper, and the 'water' wallpaper stopped. Feeling pleased with myself- and appreciative for the posts here, I decided to power off and restart. Only one of those tasks worked- guess which?

I'm now treated to LG security error as the only thing it will display.
    Any guesses what got messed up... was there a particular app that works like 'Aliens' and kills the host when I remove it?
    And most importantly how can I recover the device?

8. zenomrsparkles

None

Mar 16, 2014
    Before I root, I want to check any apparent contrary directions.
    The Bootloader_Pwange Tool Readmefirst.txt file directs me to: " (PLEASE KEEP THE BOOTLOADER NAMED AS IT IS! DO NOT JUST PULL THE CONTENTS OUT OF IT!)"

That seems contrary to your directions.
    Were you able to successfully root your LG by following your directions starting the root by only using the PG_ICS_ROOT Windows-install.bat with the Bootloader_Pwange Tool?

Big Thanks.

9. Neph81

Neph81 Android Expert
    None

Mar 3, 2012
    Male
    Wisconsin
    You most likely removed the media player, which causes the system to give you a security error. You're only fix at this point is to restore your phone using the LG Recovery Tool.

This thread will cover pretty much any question you may have:
    http://androidforums.com/spectrum-a...pdate-trust-me-your-answer-probably-here.html

RobC0313 likes this.
  10. Neph81

Neph81 Android Expert
    None

Mar 3, 2012
    Male
    Wisconsin
    IIRC, that warning is more so that you don't rename files that are crucial to be in the right order and the correct files. You need to extract the entire zip, not just grab the .bat/.sh file and hope it works. It really is fool proof, but warnings are there, because not everyone has common sense.

11. RobC0313

RobC0313 Lurker
    None

Mar 16, 2014
    I think it may have been the cityscapes or nightscapes wallpaper, or it was one of the Google media apps that I never used, so I decided to uninstall them.
    I went with cause 2, on the first scenario, since I obviously dorked something up. I tried the factory reload but no luck- I get the graphic like its reinstalling but it loads back to the security error. I'll read further in that thread to see if there's a similar issue and fix.

12. Neph81

Neph81 Android Expert
    None

Mar 3, 2012
    Male
    Wisconsin
    You shouldn't need to go further into the thread. If you factory reset the phone and still have issues, it says to then use the LG Recovery Tool.

"The solution (2) : Factory reset your phone by powering it off then rebooting it by pressing and holding down the vol down and power button until the factory reset menu comes up. Press power twice. Watch your phone reset and hopefully boot into ICS. If it does, then you froze something you shouldn't have. Don't do that again. If you still get a security error, then follow the instructions in this thread to reflash V7.
    Flashing LG signed Firmware - LG Spectrum - RootzWiki"

Because you're stuck with the security error, you'll be manually placing the phone into download mode. Pull the battery and the USB Cable. Replace the batter. Hold down Vol+ and Vol- and while holding them, reinsert the USB cable. The phone will boot into download mode, and then you can use the LG tool.

13. RobC0313

RobC0313 Lurker
    None

Mar 16, 2014
    Neph- Thanks for the info and links- that worked, I now have a functioning phone.
    Unfortunately it's back to bloatware central. Do you (or anyone) know what it is safe to freeze or remove from the Verizon package for the Spectrum?
    Also any recommendations on how to optimize my phone? I'd like to get a bit more usage, but it seems like a conspiracy between VZ, Google and LG to force me to upgrade.
    I'm one of the holdouts from VZ's former unlimited data plan- I have to switch over on my next phone 'upgrade'.

14. Neph81

Neph81 Android Expert
    None

Mar 3, 2012
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I'm still on the unlimited plan as well. Your best bet is really to upgrade to Cyanogenmod. CM10.1.2 was the last completely stable release. CM11 is the current release, but it has a minor bug with after market camera apps. The speed in CM11 vs stock ICS is night and day. So is battery usage.

15. aaronp121

aaronp121 Well-Known Member
    None

May 7, 2012
    Tennessee USA
  16. jeresh

jeresh Member
    None

Apr 6, 2012
    Don't uninstall anything that is part of Google's "Play" suite. It's documented somewhere here that doing so will cause the security error. Actually, I wouldn't delete/uninstall anything once rooted, just freeze 'em. SD Maid or something similar.

I made the mistake of freezing one of the plays and had the same issue. The link that someone provided in this thread that guides you through various scenarios was what I used. Unfortunately, I was using a laptop that wouldn't get through the .cab flash of stock -- still don't know why -- but when I went to my wife's machine, worked like a charm.

Good Luck.

Tags: