• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to stop Google Maps from showing the Media Playback Controls if the setting to turn it off is not where the help documents say it is

jeff99

Jan 2, 2018
How do I stop Google Maps from showing the Media Playback Controls if the setting to turn it off is not where the help documents say it is?

According to this page, I can turn off the media controls in Maps by going to Settings -- Navigation Settings -- Show media play back controls. However, on my phone, from in Maps (and not in a trip), I touch my picture in top right -- Settings -- Navigation Settings -- (and there's no "Show media play back controls"). I can't find that setting anywhere else, either. Makes me wonder how the controls were turned on but, more important, how do I turn it off?

I'm using Android version 13 on a moto g stylus 5g.

Thanks

I have Android 14 and i don't see media play back controls either when I looked.

I don't now where you are seeing Media Playback Controls on Maps? Can you take a screenshot and post it? I don't see Media Playback Controls when I open Maps.

Thanks!
You have to be in in a trip, following directions and listening to something. In my case, I'm listening to a podcast.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231117-191202.png
    Screenshot_20231117-191202.png
    577.2 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
You have to be in in a trip, following directions and listening to something. In my case, I'm listening to a podcast.

Okay, I get that if I'm driving using Maps and have a Podcast playing. I don't know of anyway to change that. Maybe somebody else here will know.

If I'm driving and have my phone plugged into my cars media screen I can have the cars media screen display only the map when playing a podcast or I can split the car media screen to display 3 parts, the map, phone notifications and the podcast media.

Maybe someone else here knows some way of changing that. I hope that helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: jeff99
Upvote 0
Here's a screenshot of my cars media screen displaying only the Map. If you look just above the Media button on the bottom and to the left of the microphoine you will see a small box with vertical long dash and two smaller squares. If I press that it splits my cars media screen into the 3 parts I described above

screen.jpg

Upvote 0
If the problem is not solved still, you can try this. Disable Media Playback Controls on Google Maps for Android version 13 on your phone.
  1. Open Google Maps.
  2. Tap your profile picture in the top right.
  3. Go to "Settings."
  4. Navigate to "Navigation settings."
  5. Look for "Media Playback Controls" or a similar option.
If the setting isn't there, it's possible that the feature is not available on your specific Android version or device model. You may want to check for app updates or contact Google Support for device-specific assistance.
Right, the problem is it's not there. But the feature is enabled, because I have the media controls. The problem is I can't turn it off!

Reactions: AugieTN

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones