• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to stop txts from synching between phones

ashtray

Lurker
Aug 20, 2020
So I tend to switch between my Galaxy Note 9 and my BBKey2. Everytime I switch my sim card, all the texts I ever got on the "old" phone, will continuously come to the "new" phone and back and forth. It'll go on for days re-synching txts when it's in the hundreds if not thousands. How do I prevent this as it is a feature I do not need. I appreciate your help. Hopefuly it is something I can fix and not a provider issue.

Best,
Carlos

I considered that, but won't another sim card cost my monthly bill more? I dont mind switching sim between phone

Why would it cost anything?

They give them out as needed, as far as I know.

Of course, they might be nice to me, because I have had service since 2001 with them.

But I don't see why it would cost anything if you still only have one phone number.

Plus, the cards are not meant to be switched around like that.

You risk wearing the card, and even worse wearing the contacts on both devices.

Seriously, just tell your provider what your deal is, and ask if an additional card is available.

Then ask them about the sync issue.

Why are you switching back and forth anyway?

You could use one device on Wi-Fi only, by using a free VoIP app (Dingtone, TextNow, etc.) and that would give a separate calling number (along with messages), and it would still be accessible with both devices.

I use Dingtone, and can have 5 devices on one number.
It hasn't cost me a cent in over 3 years.

Only one of my 4 Android devices even has a SIM card in it, lol, as I use 3 of them exclusively on Wi-Fi.

Funny enough, I can even have my Dingtone number forwarded to my cell number.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Thats all great info.

I switch between the 2 because I prefer typing on my BBKey2, but prefer the camera of my Galaxy Note 9.

I've been with the same carrier since about 2005 so I'll give them a check and see what they tell me. I was always under the assumption that an extra sim card would be like having an extra phone and would cost more.

Thank you for the help.

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
But I don't see why it would cost anything if you still only have one phone number.

Plus, the cards are not meant to be switched around like that.
Do you have a provider who will assign the same number to more than one SIM card? That is very unusual (and definitely non-standard).

Actually as a point of history the SIM card was proposed in the original GSM spec precisely to be swapped. Admittedly not everything worked as envisioned: the designers had foreseen people having one handset but more than one SIM, and swapping cards as needed. And the original SIM cards were quite literally credit card sized, so easier to swap, though phones using the "mini SIM" format soon dominated the market (these days the "nano SIM" is the common format).

But on the other hand, I've no idea what this "syncing" of SMS between phones is about. Swapping a SIM does not automatically result in SMS being downloaded from somewhere-or-other to the new device, at least on most devices and services. I'm assuming these are SMS messages, not some other message app?

Of course some US networks use different technologies from most of the world ("CDMA" networks like Verizon and Sprint), and I'm not familiar with their SMS implementations. So this might be something a particular provider does. It can only be your phone software doing it if you have some special app installed on both phones and syncing via a common account: how else would the phone you removed the SIM from know anything about the phone you put it in?

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
Thats all great info.

I switch between the 2 because I prefer typing on my BBKey2, but prefer the camera of my Galaxy Note 9.

I've been with the same carrier since about 2005 so I'll give them a check and see what they tell me. I was always under the assumption that an extra sim card would be like having an extra phone and would cost more.

Thank you for the help.

So, in reality, all you need is a camera.
Or, a better keyboard app on the device with the better camera.

You could leave the SIM card in the one phone, and use the one with the camera without a SIM via Wi-Fi.

Not perfect, but very doable.

On the other hand, you could just put a great keyboard app (or more than one even- I use four.) on the device with the better camera.

This option is best, and still you have the capability of running the other device without a SIM on Wi-Fi.

Tell us what you desire in a keyboard, and see what we come up with.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones