• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to Turn Off Spell Correct In "Messages" Application Eludes Me!

PGB1213

May 20, 2016
Detroit
Hello All!
I have a phone with Android 5.1 (the highest it will take). It has a text message application called "Messages" version 3.2.042. I checked for updates, and that's the most current version for this phone. The messaging application is the one that came with the phone, a ZTE Maven Z812.

What I can not figure out, despite poking around Settings & using internet search, is how to turn off the automatic spell correcting feature. I use quite a few non-standard words and the application 'corrects' them to what it thinks is correct. (Examples- 'Contactor' becomes 'contacted'; 'Harmonics' becomes 'harmonica'; and so forth.) What it does to my last name is downright shameful!

The biggest problem is that I can't even un-correct their 'correct' spellings. The application just puts the word back the way the app wants it to be spelled. (And I always thought humans were the boss of computers, not the other way around...)

It there a way to turn off this pesky feature?
Thanks For Your Help!
Paul

Thank You both for helping out. Your advice is much appreciated. I apologize for my delayed reply.

I went to Settings - Language & Input. On the first page is "Spell Checker" and it was already off.

Next, I picked the keyboard I use (called "Big Keyboard"). At "input Mode Settings", the closest thing it had to Spell Correct was "Touch To Correct Words". It was already un-checked.

I tried typing some words in a text message and they still got corrected.
What do you guys think I did wrong?

Thanks Again!
Paul

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones