• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How would i go about doing this...

Driftingrz

Lurker
Jan 25, 2010
since i cant seem to find any apps (let me know if there is any) pertaining to this type of thing let me know...

id like to make a app/program/folder it doesnt really matter for my hero. so i could go to it and help me identify trees,plants, or wild edibles.. any would be helpful. i love the outdoors and spend time camping ect. and it would be nice to know these things. it doesnt necicarily have to identify it for me but it would be nice to be able to go to the program or app and have diff pages for diff style leaves shapes, colors, cones ect so it could aid in identifying. even having pictures of the trees,bark, leaves, needles ect... would there be an easy way in making something like this? or is there one made already?

I honestly don't know if there's an app out there. It sounds to me like you simply need a reference book. This may sound dumb ... and I don't know how practical or time consuming it is ... but go to a book store and buy a reference book and literally scan each page which you think would be pertinent and store it on your SD card as JPEG files or PDF files. How you would index them is beyond me. A table of contents referring to a file name maybe. Quite frankly, if you do something like this, you may ultimately come up with an idea that can be used as a reference source for others. Maybe YOU can develop an app after much trial and tribulation. It's a good idea ... it's something that other people might be interested in ... and you may stumble onto something that can make you a few bucks in the long run.

That's the nice thing about the Android platform. You can identify a need and ultimately come up with a solution.

Upvote 0
In the marketplace there is the following that may be helpful somewhat...

Botany
Botany is a fully featured flash card app that helps you learn about the structures and functions of various parts of plants.

Survival manual
Downloads the entire US Army Survival manual and extra photo database to sdcard before a trip. with survivor plants, edible, poisonous, etc.

TS out

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones