• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Again the One to Beat?

SiempreTuna

Android Expert
Jan 11, 2013
Just read this review of the new HTC One and I have to say it sounds totally awesome.

For me, it's not quite as flat out gorgeous as last year's model but it's certainly cute and the review suggests it's even better built than the current iPhone. Which is praise indeed - whatever you think of Apple, their kit is exceptionally well put together.

Again, the camera's the thing and again, the main camera sensor is bigger than regular sensors and has much bigger pixels (HTC calls them ultrapixels :eek:). HTC claim these capture 3x as much light (up on last year's model) making the camera great for low light (i.e. most) situations. But that's not the interesting thing: it also has a second 2MP sensor that allows it to achieve a number of things like 3D (yawn) and the ability to adjust the depth of field in editing (really cool).

In a very zietgeist-y move, the 'selfie' camera is 5MP. Sure, that's right up with many main cameras on cheaper / older phones but again, not the interesting thing. What's way more fascinating is that it's actually a higher MP count than the main camera (4MP). That should allow very easy testing of HTC's claim (accepted by the vast marjority of camera aficienados) that it ain't all in the MP count.

It also has a 5" screen, a newer, faster processor .. and frankly, WGAF? Phone have had big enough screens and fast enough processors for like, 2 or 3 years now. No-one cares about this stuff anymore.

Sense 6.0 also has a few new '6th sense' (yes, they went there) features that are .. actually, pretty meh. For me.

So, just like last year, the reviews seem to be saying that, of this year's releases, this is the phone to beat.

Unlike last year, HTC claim they'll actually have some supply.

Could this finally mean: look out Samsung? :eek:

It's a great looking phone and most of the features are spot on.

But then there is the camera, it's the same Sensor as used in the first HTC One and not only that, they removed optical image stabilization on the M8. So what could have been great phone is reduced to what could have been if they put decent camera on on the back.

They barely got away with it last year but it's going to be even more difficult this year as Samsung and others are making progress where HTC is not.

M8 4MP "Ultrapixel" + 2MP vs S5 16MP with "ISOCELL" technology.

Unless your overly fixated with shiny metal or don't care about cameras the Galaxy S5 is the phone to buy. :D

I won't be buying either, Samsung won't get my money again until they remove knox which will likely never happen.

Reactions: davoid
Upvote 0
It's a great looking phone and most of the features are spot on.

But then there is the camera, it's the same Sensor as used in the first HTC One and not only that, they removed optical image stabilization on the M8. So what could have been great phone is reduced to what could have been if they put decent camera on on the back.

They barely got away with it last year but it's going to be even more difficult this year as Samsung and others are making progress where HTC is not.

M8 4MP "Ultrapixel" + 2MP vs S5 16MP with "ISOCELL" technology.

Unless your overly fixated with shiny metal or don't care about cameras the Galaxy S5 is the phone to buy. :D

I won't be buying either, Samsung won't get my money again until they remove knox which will likely never happen.

It comes down to way more than "shiny metal" and caring about cameras. Both phones have similar specs in most areas. Then you have to consider Touchwiz, Sense, Knox, Blinkfeed, etc., and that's just the software.

Upvote 0
It comes down to way more than "shiny metal" and caring about cameras. Both phones have similar specs in most areas. Then you have to consider Touchwiz, Sense, Knox, Blinkfeed, etc., and that's just the software.

These are a little different and come down to personal preference and how you use your phone.

A bad camera is always a bad camera, the specs between the devices in that area are not similar at all. :D

HTC choose to add camera gimmicks, rather than improving the camera, by removing optical image stabilization they've actually made it a little worse.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones