• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC announces which devices to get Ice Cream Sandwich

HTC has been terribly vague about which devices will get Ice Cream Sandwich, the next major version of Android, as they are with almost any Android release. However, today they have announced via a brief Facebook post which devices will get the update. Hint: it's not many.

According to the post, the HTC Sensation, HTC Sensation XL, HTC Sensation XE, HTC Rezound (US only), HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO Design 4G (US Only) and HTC Amaze (US Only) will get the updates. This means that only devices from 2011 will see the update right now, and many others will likely be left to their own methods.

The announcement follows typical behavior by Android vendors; only updating extremely recent devices to the latest version of Android, and leaving the rest of their user base to find their own way to upgrade. The practice can leave users open to all sorts of bad things, such as phishing attacks from 3rd party ROM's or bricking their phones.

They did at least say that they're "continuing to assess [their] product portfolio" for device upgrade timing, however this is usually corporate speak for "it's not likely that older devices will see the updates officially."

But hey, it's good to see HTC try, right? The updates won't begin until 2012.

Source

Looks like no official ICS for the Evo 4G, at least not anytime soon...

i pretty much saw this coming. i really doubt that ics will ever come to the evo. but, the good news is that the devs will be working hard to port over ics to the evo..... that i do no have any doubts about.....that is a sure thing. so once the code for ics is released i guarantee you that there will be plenty of roms for you guys to choose from.

Upvote 0
Oh so that's how it is? Now it's "you guys". Oh that hurts OCN.;)

Enjoy the new phone.:D

yeah i'm enjoying it very much thank you:D

but i must say that you guys who have evo's that are rooted are very spoiled. the evo has by far the best community of devs still supporting the device of any phone out there now. i really did not understand this until i got my 3vo rooted. if you can, i would say to you guys to hold out for as long as possible with your evo's. it is truly a one of a kind community that i doubt any phone will ever replicate unless the devs all get together and migrate to one phone.

and to stay on topic ICS will be amazing for the evo and the 3vo. if you want to follow the devs on ICS here you go:[DEV-ONLY] |WORKING TOUCHSCREEN| ICS on Evo 4g [WIP] - xda-developers

Upvote 0
Thats disappointing. I had read an article in which they stated they would try to put it on all devices that were able to run it. From what I understand any phone running gingerbread should not have problems with ICS so I'm still hopeful.

Occupy HTC!!!!!!!!!!

No need to "Occupy HTC" just ROOT HTC!!:D And wait a bit....

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
yeah i'm enjoying it very much thank you:D

but i must say that you guys who have evo's that are rooted are very spoiled. the evo has by far the best community of devs still supporting the device of any phone out there now. i really did not understand this until i got my 3vo rooted. if you can, i would say to you guys to hold out for as long as possible with your evo's. it is truly a one of a kind community that i doubt any phone will ever replicate unless the devs all get together and migrate to one phone.

and to stay on topic ICS will be amazing for the evo and the 3vo. if you want to follow the devs on ICS here you go:[DEV-ONLY] |WORKING TOUCHSCREEN| ICS on Evo 4g [WIP] - xda-developers

So when ya' coming back over to "THE DARK SIDE" and the EVO 4G?? Your new profile picture looks like your "surrendering" your gun! ;)

If ya want to come back and ditch the 3D, I'll donate a working USB power cord to ya!! ;);):p

Upvote 0
At least AOSP wise we'll be covered. It is great to see that the dev community is still extremely active on the Evo. It's certainly not something I considered when I bought my Evo, but it will be considered heavily when (if?) I upgrade to a new phone in another 9 months. I am perfectly content with my Evo though and will be even happier when ICS is up and running from the CM team. I saw the thread on XDA, but is that just a port of the SDK? True source hasn't been released yet from what I have seen.

Upvote 0
Yes its an SDK port.

I'm still considering upgrading to either the Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G touch or the 3VO. When Evos are selling for like $50 used its hard to pass up best buy's offer of $300 for it with the buy back program.

Neither of them seem to have the kind of Dev support I'm looking for...

I've got till December to make up my mind... So we will see.

Upvote 0
Still hoping for an OTA update. It would just make life much easier for the devs and we'd have many complete ROMS very quickly compared to our ported sense 3.5 roms where we have a bunch of them but none are really 100% yet.

:D

I'm gonna assume since we're in the "All things Rooted" forum that we're rooted...so wouldn't an OTA be a big no-no for us no matter what if we're rooted?? I was rooted Froyo and flashed the Gingerbread rooted ROM...no OTA for me.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding and perhaps you're saying NOT for US to accept an OTA but IF there was an OTA, then the devs would be able to push out a full rooted ICS more easily for us who are already rooted??

Upvote 0
I'm gonna assume since we're in the "All things Rooted" forum that we're rooted...so wouldn't an OTA be a big no-no for us no matter what if we're rooted?? I was rooted Froyo and flashed the Gingerbread rooted ROM...no OTA for me.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding and perhaps you're saying NOT for US to accept an OTA but IF there was an OTA, then the devs would be able to push out a full rooted ICS more easily for us who are already rooted??

yes i believe that is what rxpert was saying. but the source code will be out long before there will be an ics ota (which will never happen for the evo) :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones