• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire, battery not charging beyond 30%

Hi guys,
I've have a Desire for several months now, and it's been relatively problem free up until this last week or two.
I normally leave my phone on charge overnight, so it's always fully charged in the morning. However, as of several days ago it will never reach 100% charge even after 10+ hours of charging. I know the trickle charge mechanism means sometimes you might only find your phone at 90% charge or so, but this is different. Sometimes it wouldn't charge at all and my phone will be at the same % I started charging it at hours ago, or it will be around 50% or so, again after hours of charging.
I found to fix this I could normally just unplug the charger and plug it back in, and it proceed to charge up to 80-90% max.

However, even this has stopped working now and I can only charge my phone up to 30% no matter what I do. Restarting, charging from PC or mains, replugging the cable in...none of this works. It always shows that it is charging (the lightning symbol in the battery icon), but doesn't physically charge. (not past 30% anyway)

It's not rooted and is running HTC sense. I've made sure to take good care of the battery in order to prolong its life, but as I said I've had the phone only 3 months or so.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Also, after unplugging it this morning, the battery dropped from 30% to under 15% within 5 minutes of use!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones