• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Desire HD not responding digitizer

phyce

Lurker
May 2, 2013
Hello. A friend of mine, who is a computer technician has tried to repair an HTC Desire HD phone, which had a broken digitizer.
He replaced the digitizer correctly, but apparently the new digitizer is a newer model which needs newer drivers to work (atleast that's what I've been told). I've been investigating a little bit, tried to upgrade the android, but there is one problem: Debug mode is disabled.
I've tried to connect a tablet keyboard to the phone but it doesn't work(tried the same keyboard on a samsung galaxy note and it does work fine).

So, my question is, is there any way to upgrade android without debugging mode enabled?
If not, is there any other way of enabling debug mode with the non-responding digitizer?
What else should I try?
The digitizer seems to be in a perfect state, I've dissasembled it to check the contacts and everything seems fine.

That's a new one on me. Not sure what the digitizer has to do with drivers after all its only an input method like say the same thing a keyboard does on a computer. I done a few digitizers now on DHD and I've always found the ribbon that connects to the back of the LCD display the hardest part as in you have to pry the LCD screen off the back of the metal chassis to get to the connector. Problem is as soon as you bend the LCD screen its knackered and tbh its worth the extra getting the whole digitizer/LCD in one part. You say you checked the connections as in the digitizer ribbon that attaches to the back of the LCD screen and the LCD screen that attaches to the motherboard? I'd say if its not working after checking the connections then its a faulty digitizer or something else. Why was it changed?

Upvote 0
The digitizer was changed because it got broken and stopped working.
And yes, I've check both of those connections, and they are connected properly.
I'm not sure if it's true, but I've been informed that the replaced digitizer was a newer model and the phone needs an android upgrade to make the new digitizer work.

I'm not really sure about this, since I've started working with mobile phones not a long while ago.
I did my research on the internet, but didn't find any relevant information though.

Upvote 0
Tbh I think you been told lies about it requiring an update. I've looked too and I can't find anything suggesting this and nor have I ever heard of any digitizer needing an update to work. Its a simple replace job and it should work straight away unless its faulty or they've screwed something else up when they replaced it. All I can suggest is you buy the correct digitizer for your phone and try again. Sounds like they fitted the wrong one and expect you to find a driver that's non existent. I bought mine from ebay, but don't go for the cheapest ones!! Find your model number eg A9191 (G10) in the UK . Oz and Canada have different model numbers A8182, A8183 etc.

Reactions: phyce
Upvote 0
Are you on the latest rom for the DHD as in gingerbread? I take it your not rooted and on stock? Tbh I'm not sure changing to another rom would fix your problem. If you're on Gingerbread and unrooted that's as far as you can go on a stock rom. To do what they suggest in that post you would need to root your phone so you can use a custom rom but like you said its not based on the DHD and even after rooting you may still be left with the same problem you have now. A thought........have you tried a factory reset?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones