• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Desire S

WTF were htc thinking?

they post amazing profits, yet reveal the crappiest phones to date. all this wait for what? android 2.4??

both "S" phones are not a step forward, hell the Arc from sony is miles better!

wheres the dual-core? the hdmi port? dual flash? etc... they have even gone backwards with the screen tech!!!

i'm sorry HTC, but i'm sticking to my black desire. i love it even more!

and you know what? i'm going to root (i'm still running the stock software), once i root, my phone will be the best in the world!

now thats what you call a phone worth shouting about!!

:)

Upvote 0
and you know what? i'm going to root (i'm still running the stock software), once i root, my phone will be the best in the world!

now thats what you call a phone worth shouting about!!

:)

got that DAMN RIGHT my friend....I just reflashed my desire again with a 'custom' version of LeeDroid 2.3d and its running better than ever...

ok the 'custom' label is a cheat...thanks to LECTER and Dan's help I just removed loads of bloatware from it so it runs how I WANT it to run now more so :D

Upvote 0
Well if I was a company like htc, I would be really interested in this thread.

Like me, everyone seems really disappointed with their new lineup. Seems like we all want htc to at least match others in the market place. Duel core, hdmi mirroring, 8mp+ camera, better battery, greatly expanded internal phone memory, higher resolution screen, sensible screen size.

Small incremental changes is not what we are interested in, innovation is key. Why not reduce your range and develop a couple of uber phones with our entire wish list.

If htc is counting on customer loyalty to remain top phone maker, then that's a very risky strategy and doomed to failure.

Guess our hopes lie with htc in 2012 now, hope you read comments on threads like this and carefully plan your next strategy.

Htc desire gave you record profits but look at your competition and better them, that will be your success...

Reactions: hiten
Upvote 0
Like me, everyone seems really disappointed with their new lineup. Seems like we all want htc to at least match others in the market place. Duel core, hdmi mirroring, 8mp+ camera, better battery, greatly expanded internal phone memory, higher resolution screen, sensible screen size.
With a sensor the size of a phone camera more megapix usually = worse quality (smaller pixel = less light = worse signal/noise). If you want a better camera you'd probably slightly reduce the resolution, and you'd put your effort into the image processing (and I don't mean "smear everything with noise reduction"). But that's harder to market than "more pixels", so we can most likely wait in vain.

Battery, internal storage I'll give you. I think 3.7" is a sensible screen size, and as they have both larger and smaller I don't see the beef there. Faster processor, yes, if not at the expense of battery life. Don't feel screen resolution is limiting on the Desire - might be on a bigger screen, but then the phone gets too big. Daylight visibility would be a better area to work on IMO.

Bottom line: we don't all have the same ideals. Actually I also think that these updates look rather incremental (one of the features that's not been mentioned here, but Rastaman noted, is of more interest), but I'm not seeing a lot of things that make me want to replace my Desire from anyone else. Which is fine, as I'm not going to be replacing it this year anyway. ;)

Upvote 0
With a sensor the size of a phone camera more megapix usually = worse quality (smaller pixel = less light = worse signal/noise). If you want a better camera you'd probably slightly reduce the resolution, and you'd put your effort into the image processing (and I don't mean "smear everything with noise reduction"). But that's harder to market than "more pixels", so we can most likely wait in vain.

Battery, internal storage I'll give you. I think 3.7" is a sensible screen size, and as they have both larger and smaller I don't see the beef there. Faster processor, yes, if not at the expense of battery life. Don't feel screen resolution is limiting on the Desire - might be on a bigger screen, but then the phone gets too big. Daylight visibility would be a better area to work on IMO.

Bottom line: we don't all have the same ideals. Actually I also think that these updates look rather incremental (one of the features that's not been mentioned here, but Rastaman noted, is of more interest), but I'm not seeing a lot of things that make me want to replace my Desire from anyone else. Which is fine, as I'm not going to be replacing it this year anyway. ;)

I agree with you hadron..word for word especially the last part about not replacing yet...

hell I got my Desire tail end of last year....and I'm STILL happy with it....im usually a person who tires of a phone after a few weeks...trades it in for something else.....only my old Nokia N95, LG Renoir and Samsung Jet were keepers for any time...but they lacked something..

oh and a word on cameras on phones....yes upping the megapixels will not ultimately help it drastically...what DOES help is a GOOD..not scratch that...BLOODY good lens...thats why the older LG and Samsung phones did SO well awhile back with their cameras...hell I already mentioned the F*CKING AWESOME LG Renoir camera phone....as a phone it was bog crap standard...and failed if you wanted more than 1000 songs on it due to how the media player sorted and coded itself...but holy crap was the camera on it great....like the lil brother Viewty before it as well..

Reactions: hiten
Upvote 0
Incredible S is 4"

Ultimately HTC have done nothing wrong. Everyone on here has built up expectations to levels which are near impossible to meet. I reckon they're waiting til later this year/next year to see how new tech works on the mobile scene and if it works they'll come back stronger

I'm looking forward to April next year when I can upgrade, exciting times

Upvote 0

Yeah totally.

What happens is 1 big leap, 23 miniscule leaps, 1 big leap, 23 miniscule leaps.

I reckon that time next year, 1 big leap will happen.

I'll be gutted if by Feb, that leap hasn't happened. I'll have to keep my finger on the pulse...

Upvote 0
I reckon we've all been spoiled by just how good the original Desire actually has been / still is. How many people on here are actually disappointed by the power of the CPU, or the quality of the camera (scratched lens cover aside), or the size of the screen on their Desires?

Personally, and although I won't be upgrading my Desire for another year or so, I'd be happy with the Desire S just for the extra memory. The faster Wifi, one-piece case, and other incremental updates would be the icing on a very nice cake.

Just my tuppence worth.

Upvote 0
Incredible S is 4"

Ultimately HTC have done nothing wrong. Everyone on here has built up expectations to levels which are near impossible to meet. I reckon they're waiting til later this year/next year to see how new tech works on the mobile scene and if it works they'll come back stronger

Yeah totally.

What happens is 1 big leap, 23 miniscule leaps, 1 big leap, 23 miniscule leaps.

I reckon that time next year, 1 big leap will happen.

I'll be gutted if by Feb, that leap hasn't happened. I'll have to keep my finger on the pulse...

Couldn't of put it better myself.. :D

seriously companys that are constantly making BIG changes everytime they release a model are just showing that their consumer base ISN'T truly happy with what they came out with...

hell I remember a time when Nokia released the N95 then released the N95 8GB and that wasn't a massive change...SLIGHTLY larger screen and onboard flash memory....that was it...and everyone loved it...the big change was the N96 with the memory card slot returned, 16GB onboard and a slight design change and a few tweaks....but ultimately it wasn't far different from its previous N95 counterparts. That was how it USED to be...nowadays if you dont up the screen by a million inches or add 3D (which still im not sure of the application on phones really yet...just more of a toy) or some other MAGICAL new gizmo then its worthless...

Upvote 0
I feel like most other people here... I think it's really disapointing! The Desire 12 months ago was just a WOW phone, even got phone of the year because it was so good - like nothing we have seen before... But the Desire S is not much better than the original Desire what I have at all! Yes it looks nicer, has a front camera, more RAM (slightly), mew sense and more internal memory (because the original Desire has way too little :mad:) But other than that its the same as the original and in my eyes not worth the upgrade. I mean i'm the kind of person that likes the latest tech but this is disapointing, so although I would like the Desire S because of its 1.1GB internal memory but other than that, its a waste of money really if you have a working original Desire like i do. So I won't be getting one for the reason that it's not that much better. Even though i like the latest tech I will keep my Desire, I don't like it any less now i just like the letest phones but i can't get something for more money that's so similar to what i have already :thinking:! The DHD is even better than the Desire S but its too big!! :mad:, even the Incredible S isn't a massive improvement over the Desire :thinking: - HTC really need to get this right, Hopefully they will have something really special for 2012 (maybe 1 HD and 1 normal size :)) because thats when I will get a new phone most likely :D I guess it's maybe a good thing that they havent made it too much better so Desire users wont feel like their Desire is old or bad, Also many people have 24 month contracts. - So my verdict... Disapointed and keeping my good old Desire :D

Upvote 0
I reckon we've all been spoiled by just how good the original Desire actually has been / still is. How many people on here are actually disappointed by the power of the CPU, or the quality of the camera (scratched lens cover aside), or the size of the screen on their Desires?

Personally, and although I won't be upgrading my Desire for another year or so, I'd be happy with the Desire S just for the extra memory. The faster Wifi, one-piece case, and other incremental updates would be the icing on a very nice cake.

Just my tuppence worth.

The battery life sucks and the S only had increased battery capacity a small bit. The camera is utter rubbish. Any sort of movement and all you get is a blur, movement either of phone or subject.

This is a major fail by HTC as users will just jump to whom has the best android phone.
And the DHD is just too big

Upvote 0
The battery life sucks and the S only had increased battery capacity a small bit. The camera is utter rubbish. Any sort of movement and all you get is a blur, movement either of phone or subject.

This is a major fail by HTC as users will just jump to whom has the best android phone.
And the DHD is just too big

No, the camera is not utter rubbish. Maybe not as good as a DSLR, but perfectly capable of taking very good pics, especially if you pop out the plastic lens cover. Moving the subject or the camera is bound to produce blur (notwithstanding sophisticated anti-shake compensation - I don't know if the Desire, or other smartphones, have this), especially if you're shooting in low light.

And the battery is as good as I would expect it to be, given what I ask the phone to do!

Upvote 0
Men in skinny jeans/Ugg boots/make up = EPIC FAIL!!! :D

100% agree. Also if your jeans hide less than 45% of your footware also = Fail.

A guy at work has a dhd and it looks fine in his hands. He is 6'5 though.

I'm 5'8 and I do have fairly small hands. Im sure it would be fine in my hands, but even in the pocket of my not-exactly-tight jeans, im sure I'd have issues.

Upvote 0
No, the camera is not utter rubbish. Maybe not as good as a DSLR, but perfectly capable of taking very good pics, especially if you pop out the plastic lens cover. Moving the subject or the camera is bound to produce blur (notwithstanding sophisticated anti-shake compensation - I don't know if the Desire, or other smartphones, have this), especially if you're shooting in low light.

And the battery is as good as I would expect it to be, given what I ask the phone to do!

I agree, I was amazed of the difference in the pictures after I popped out that cheap plastic cover.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones