• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC EVO 4G getting Android 2.2 Froyo very soon

I dont mean to be the downer. But anyone that waited for the Hero 2.1 update from sprint will believe soon means December 2010.

I thought 2.2 was just released officially on the nexus one this week? If so and if google just released it then HTC will have to build it first then send to sprint who will have to test it for weeks of not months.

Maybe the update is easier and it wont require as much time. However, the fact that we just got an update (fix) tells me that 2.2 isnt that close. Sprint and htc would have waited to fix the minor bugs with the 2.2 release instead of pushing out 2 different updates that close together.

With the hero we got the sleep problem update and then 2.1 about 6 months later. According to an HTC email they blamed sprint for the delays. They said sprint kept rejecting the 2.1 htc would send them. It was a back and forth for months.

It would be nice if this doesnt repeat itself. But i'm going to assume December.

Upvote 0
It would be nice if this doesnt repeat itself. But i'm going to assume December.

I am assuming by July 15th since thats when they said the fix for their free 4g hotspot was going to be available... just a wild guess on my parent and the two have nothing to do with eachtoher... but sprint's been very good about releasing updates when they come out officially and say they are... it just usually takes forever for them to say they are....

Upvote 0
I dont mean to be the downer. But anyone that waited for the Hero 2.1 update from sprint will believe soon means December 2010.

I thought 2.2 was just released officially on the nexus one this week? If so and if google just released it then HTC will have to build it first then send to sprint who will have to test it for weeks of not months.

Maybe the update is easier and it wont require as much time. However, the fact that we just got an update (fix) tells me that 2.2 isnt that close. Sprint and htc would have waited to fix the minor bugs with the 2.2 release instead of pushing out 2 different updates that close together.

With the hero we got the sleep problem update and then 2.1 about 6 months later. According to an HTC email they blamed sprint for the delays. They said sprint kept rejecting the 2.1 htc would send them. It was a back and forth for months.

You have to take into consideration the jump from 1.5 to 2.1 was totally different than going from 2.1 to 2.2. And remember 1.5 was hacked all kinds of ways to get it to run on the hero. Thats not the case with our current software so the time it takes to convert should be drastically reduced.

Upvote 0
HTC has had Froyo for awhile now, Google just released the final build. HTC makes the Nexus one so I would think they've had Froyo longer then everyone else. Now they just have to make sense play nice with it. But then again we did have to wait way to long for 2.1 on the Hero, we'll see if Sprint's promise on this summer holds up.

Upvote 0
HTC has had Froyo for awhile now, Google just released the final build. HTC makes the Nexus one so I would think they've had Froyo longer then everyone else. Now they just have to make sense play nice with it. But then again we did have to wait way to long for 2.1 on the Hero, we'll see if Sprint's promise on this summer holds up.

Htc only made the nexus one. Google supplies the upgrade to 2.2. Htc didnt have its hands on that project. Google and only google work on the nexus one. That's why they are the first to see upgrades. I doubt we will see froyo in july.

Upvote 0
Htc only made the nexus one. Google supplies the upgrade to 2.2. Htc didnt have its hands on that project. Google and only google work on the nexus one. That's why they are the first to see upgrades. I doubt we will see froyo in july.

This is the only downfall of HTC w/ Sense. It always takes so damn long for them to wrap sense around the next build of Android OS. It pisses me off, I really wish users had the option to do either:

1. wait for the HTC release with sense

OR

2. legitimately upgrade to the newer software W/O Sense included.

Let us decide is what I say!

Upvote 0
Lots of doubters. Well, the Evo did come in June vs July. Sprint and HTC both want 2.2 to happen. It'll help them both sell phones.

I'm sticking with my call for early July. Yes, I'm optimisitic. But I also know HTC and Sprint tried to get 2.2 into Evo before release. The only thing that stopped that was bumping the release up to June.

The news itself is not new and won't be until the headline reads "Froyo Released To Evo Today."

Reactions: raqball
Upvote 0
I was under the impression that the Evo was originally developed to run 2.2 but was downgraded in order to release in time to beat the IPhone 4 announcement.

That may be all speculation, but if there is any truth to it then HTC/Sprint have probably already done significant work on an Evo 2.2 ROM in advance of the 2.2 RTM code. I'm sure early 2.2 builds have been available to manufacturers for months.

Upvote 0
From what I was told my my sales rep (hacker) is that this upgrade is nothing like the last upgrades. That this one will be very rapid, and easy for Sprint. He explained why in more detail, and I wish I had been paying more attention to the technical end of what he said. He did seem to be knowledgeable.

UPDATE: The article said SOON, and it was written JUNE 25.

Upvote 0

If you've ever worked in software Dev, this is a good thing. Sprint is kicking it back because it isn't right.

I'm sure the people with Brick'd EVOs are wishing HTC had a bit better quality checks before they turned code out.

I'll be happy to wait till Froyo is done right.

Shawn

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones