• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC extended battery cover question....

jfever311

Jan 8, 2012
In a pleasant melody
Hey, I have searched thoroughly and cannot find the answer to this question. I bought my wife the Hyperion 3500 extended battery for her Inc2. The cover, as you all know, drastically reduces the signal strength. Would the OEM extended battery cover by HTC fit over this battery? The stock extended battery is only 2140, but in the pictures the extended cover looks to be the same size as the one that came with the Hyperion, and it will have the proper contacts for the antennae.

Anyone been through this already?

yes sir it does. The batteries are the exact same size. I went through the exact same problem you did. I still cannot get my gps to work though even with the htc battery cover. The signal strength is better with the htc battery but it still isn't great. I'd reccomend buying it off of Amazon. You will pay half the price

Thanks for the info. Her phone actually just crashed again. This is the second Inc2 she has had in less than a year. Luckily, both times they have been under warranty still, so Verizon is just sending out a new phone. We took her phone to the local Verizon store last night and while they were on the phone getting us a new Inc2, I inquired with the Verizon rep about getting just the OEM extended battery cover. She informed me that they cannot send out just the cover because they come as a set. So instead she is sending out the OEM extended battery kit with the battery and cover, GRATIS!! Now if we could find a non-silicone case for it my wife would be ecstatic..... ;)

Upvote 0
For everyone's information i checked the signal strength with the original case, the htc case and the hyperion case. With the original stock case in my area, i got about -85 db, with the htc extended battery case it went up to -94 db, and with the hyperion case i saw it go all the way up to -101 db. It is still disappointing that htc did not put decent effort into their accessories. With the HTC case i would lose signal completely in areas where i would get bars with the stock case. If it came down to an emergency, things could be pretty bad without signal. Hope some of the this information comes in handy for people who might think about extended batteries.

Upvote 0
When compared to the Hyperion that she has now, that Mugen Power battery is a rip off. Why pay $30+ for 25% more juice when you can get 125% more juice for only $25?

So yes, that 25% increase is only slightly more when compared to the Hyperion.

But as has been pointed out, the extended batteries that require a different battery cover just don't work well enough to be a practical solution.

The other option is something like this (which I use and is excelent):

Can't get the link form eBay to work. Just search "APC UPB10".

Upvote 0
I just did some experimenting with the covers. The only cover that reduces the signal here is the Hyperion cover. The HTC extended cover gets the same signal as the regular one. Luckily the HTC cover fits over the Hyperion battery. That power pack you linked is a really good idea, but my wife wear those painted on tight jeans. She would never get the darn thing out of her pockets.... :rolleyes: However, that might be just the thing for me w/ my Casio Commando. Either that or I will just get a couple extra batteries.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones