• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Hero ROM update on Orange now available

One thing to add to those who have used MyBackup.

Apps which are re-installed are no longer recognised by the Market - so if you look in My Downloads, they are not there. This means that you cannot download updates through the Market.

After restoring apps from a MyBackup ... I use aTrackDog to check for updates on a regular basis ...

once you have done an update via aTractdog it will register in the Apps db index and should in the future show in the Market Downloads ....

I think there is a problem in the backup/restore of the apps Index db ... which causes this ...

So use aTrackDog along with you use of Mybackup ... and all will work itself out !!

Upvote 0
Hi,

I bought this Orange HTC Hero from mobiles.co.uk, when I try to download this ROM Upgrade for HTC Hero (Orange)_2.73.61.5
it not allow me to do that, it shows error message:
Sorry, this software download is not suitable for your device.

Then I try my s/n for ROM Upgrade for HTC Hero_2.73.405.5 then it work.

So can I go ahead to upgrade using Hero_2.73.405.5 firmware?

By the way, I got another HTC Hero which is bought directly from Orange, and that s/n allow me to download Hero (Orange)_2.73.61.5.

:thinking:

Upvote 0
It's actually the build number (just below 'Kernel Version') that the new ROM refers to. If you have 2.73.--- or higher, then you don't need to update.

Like I said, I think the Sprint Heroes come with the newer, optimized ROM; if it happens that they don't, and your serial number won't let you download the update, then I wouldn't try it anyway.

Upvote 0
build number is 1.29.651.1 cl69164 release-keys

Hmmn, from what I can remember, the slow ROM is 1.22.x (it's the one Engadget had, for example, and they were the only ones to complain of lags on the Sprint Hero).

So long as you aren't experiencing any lag, I don't think you need to(/can) update - perhaps someone else who actually has the Sprint version could confirm?

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

We have updated Sprite Backup so that contact backups work well with syncd data, that is including 'phone' contacts don't restore as 'google' ones, we don't break the sync partnership also if you use exhange, or gmail for your contacts, and we will restore the rest of your on-sync contacts. We also can migrate from G1 to Hero contacts without 'google' tagging issues.

We have added very deep support for HTC widgets, plurks, footprints, UI and extended contacts plugins like facebook,

Hope this helps you guys when doing ROM upgrades,
http://www.spritesoftware.com/Blog/October-2009/Android-Backup-1-2-is-out!

A shameess plug from a Sprite software team member,

Julian

Upvote 0
i just did the update for the first time and went well but a few things i dont undersand is why i didnt loose my contacts/pictures/music/games (except for the market ones)

since the update i have not been able to reconect to the wireless in my home it jus says unable to connect

the update didnt really do alot very slight speed increase not really noticable maybe a little better signal but signal was sometimes good anyway (rarely)

Upvote 0
Hi,

I bought this Orange HTC Hero from mobiles.co.uk, when I try to download this ROM Upgrade for HTC Hero (Orange)_2.73.61.5
it not allow me to do that, it shows error message:
Sorry, this software download is not suitable for your device.

Then I try my s/n for ROM Upgrade for HTC Hero_2.73.405.5 then it work.

So can I go ahead to upgrade using Hero_2.73.405.5 firmware?

By the way, I got another HTC Hero which is bought directly from Orange, and that s/n allow me to download Hero (Orange)_2.73.61.5.

:thinking:

I did exactly the same thing, got the mobile from mobiles.co.uk and I had to use the real hero rom to update it. It works great, better than the rubbish orange branding imo

Upvote 0
managed to get my contacts back using htc sync. no messages but never a ba thing to clear that out.

seems ok but will update with any probs!
Hero updated quickly. Now runs a lot smoother. Only problem since the upgrade is the camera. Can no longer zoom with the ball, and the focus is now very difficult (focus brackets keeps disappearing). Is anyone else having this problem on their Orange phone since the upgrade?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones