1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

HTC Hero Sim-free

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Martin Dude, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Martin Dude

Martin Dude Lurker

Hey all, I have been reading about the HTC Hero and I am thinking about getting one. Living in Spain the Hero is only available with Orange, but I want to stay with Movistar, so I am looking at a sim-free Hero.

I was just wondering about your position about this and if I will be able to update normally etc. Since I have read about provider specific updates and since Movistar normally doesn't provide the Hero I was wondering if this might be a problem.

Any other pro's and con's for getting a sim-free Hero?

Thanks in advance!

Martin

2. Anthony1

Anthony1 Android Enthusiast

Hi

I bought a sim free Hero a few days ago. It's great. Accepted my existing sim and started working perfectly immediately. I downloaded the updates directly from the HTC web site and everything worked fine.

You should have no problem as far as I can see. Of course I'm in the UK so I'm not sure about the situation in Spain.

3. daveybaby

daveybaby Android Expert

If anything you will get updates sooner with an unlocked/sim-free hero than you will with a branded one.

4. Martin Dude

Martin Dude Lurker

Ok, thank you both for the information :)

5. brykins

brykins Android Enthusiast

Is there not still an on-going problem with the Market, protected apps and unlocked devices? Google seems to find it hard to differentiate between a ROOTED handset and a SIM UNLOCKED handset and lot's of people with unlocked (sim free, non network branded) handsets have reported trouble with forward protected apps not showing up on the Market.

Apologies if I am wrong and this has been fixed, but might be worth looking into.

6. Martin Dude

Martin Dude Lurker

7. Anthony1

Anthony1 Android Enthusiast

Which Apps are supposedly affected? I haven't had any problems and I've downloaded most of the more common ones.

8. brykins

brykins Android Enthusiast

It's apparently forward protected apps and something to do with ROM signatures or something. Anyway, I have a locked G2 (Hero) and I was not able to find a lot of apps on the market by searching, browsing, direct links or bar codes. Turns out that a new rom image from the T-Mobile web site (even though it had EXACTLY the same build number) sorted it and I can now access these apps.

The one's I recall not being able to find were Twidroid Pro, Flight Director (full version), Jewellust and Record It. I have them all now.

9. Bhav

Bhav Well-Known Member

I have a sim free Hero on vodafone uk. There has been a couple of occasions where an app doesn't show up on search, but it's pretty rare...and the app does show up later/the next day. It might just be a cache/refresh issue.

If you really struggle, you can probably find a lot of the apps online and then just install via HTC Sync

10. Martin Dude

Martin Dude Lurker

Thanks a lot for all the feedback!

HTC Hero Forum

The HTC Hero release date was July 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7200A processor, and 1350mAh battery.

July 2009
Release Date
Reviews