• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Incredible Boot Animation Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Video Tutorial (source: crashdogy)

YouTube - How To Change Motorola Droids Boot Animation HD( Make Your Droid Look Like a Nexus One Pt. 2)

Detailed Instructions for MS Windows(source: DevHead)

This was completed on a Windows 7 system. Linux and Mac may or may not be similar. You'll have to adapt the instructions for your OS. Sorry.

Note: DO NOT plug the phone to your computer yet.

1. Download
    • Your choice of: bootanimation.zip and android_audio.mp3 (.mp3 file must be named "android_audio.mp3")
  2. Edit desc.txt file
    • Unzip bootanimation.zip and edit desc.txt file
      • Use editors of your choice (textpad, jEdit, Notepad++)
      • Your desc.txt would be something like:
        Code:
        480 638 15
        p 1 0 android
        p 1 0 eye
        p 0 0 loading
      • Make sure you save it as a UNIX file, otherwise it won't work
    • Zip the folder up again (without compression) - bootanimation.zip
    • Note: I only extracted the desc.txt file and not the entire contents of bootanimation.zip. After editing desc.txt, I just re-added that back into the original bootanimation.zip file. This worked for me. YMMV.
  3. Install Android SDK
    • Android SDK | Android Developers
    • Extract .zip file; you could rename extracted folder to whatever you like (e.g., "Android")
    • Copy/move "Android" folder to the root of your drive (e.g., C:\Android)
    • Run "SDK Setup"
      • Follow SDK installation directions
      • Download USB drivers into a folder inside your SDK as Google tells you to do
        • My drivers ended up in C:\Android\usb_driver
    • Edit "android_winusb.inf" to add support for the HTC Incredible
      • Find the section labeled [Google.NTx86]. At the end of that section, add the following lines.
        Code:
        ;
        ;HTC Incredible
        %SingleAdbInterface%        = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C9E
        %CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C9E&MI_01
      • Find the section [Google.NTamd64]. At the end of that section, add the following lines.
        Code:
        ;
        ;HTC Incredible
        %SingleAdbInterface%        = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C9E
        %CompositeAdbInterface%     = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0C9E&MI_01
  4. Copy/Move
    • Copy/Move your bootanimation.zip and android_audio.mp3 files into the "tools" folder of the SDK (e.g., C:\Android\tools)
  5. On Your Incredible
    • Turn USB Debugging ON (Settings->Applications->Development)
      • You should get an exclamation mark icon on your Incredible notification bar
    • NOW, you can connect your phone to the PC
      • Be sure to set/mount your USB connection to "Disk Drive"; do not use "Charge only"
  6. On Your PC
    • Go to Start->Right-Click My Computer->Manage
    • You should see a device with a warning on it called "Other->ADB"
    • Right-click it and choose "Update Driver Software"
    • Install the drivers manually and point that to your usb_drivers folder (e.g., C:\Android\usb_driver)
    • Ignore any warnings about unsigned drivers and everything should install just fine
    • After the driver installation, you should see "Android Phone->Android Composite ADB Interface" in the Device Manager
  7. Test Your Setup
    • Open command prompt/window
    • Change directory to the "tools" folder in your SDK (e.g., C:\Android\tools)
    • Run the following command:
      • adb devices (you should get an output similar to below)
        Code:
        * daemon not running. starting it now *
        * daemon started successfully *
        List of devices attached
        HT048HJ00425    device
  8. Reboot Your Computer
  9. Push Animation/Audio
    • Make sure your USB connection is set/mounted to "Disk Drive"; do not use "Charge only"
    • Open command prompt/window
    • Change directory to the "tools" folder in your SDK (e.g., C:\Android\tools)
    • Run the following command:
      • adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local
      • adb push android_audio.mp3 /data/local (if you want sound during bootup)
      • you should have seen that a certain amount of data was added to the phone after each command
  10. Reboot Your Incredible
    • You might want to go through the proper procedure for unmounting/disconnecting your phone from your computer first
    • You might want to turn off USB Debugging
    • Enjoy your new animated boot screen :D

Sources: Incredible Boot Animation, Android SDK | Android Developers, Installing HTC Incredible Android SDK Drivers

Note: this worked for me. This may or may not work for you. If, by following this, you brick your Incredible, I am not liable for anything. :D

Detailed Instructions for Linux (source: Excedio)

This was completed on an Ubuntu 10.04 system. Information adapted from DevHead's How To..

Note: DO NOT plug the phone to your computer yet.
1. Download

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones