• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Mail and Gmail sync

SnoopyWG

Dec 23, 2009
I have a weird problem in that I can get the GMail app on my HTC Hero to sync properly, but the same gmail account set up in the HTC mail app stopped syncing about a day ago and I can't get it to update itself. Sending works fine from the HTC mail app, so I believe it's configured properly... I just can receive any more... This was working just fine yesterday and nothing has been changed in my settings...

Also, the HTC mail widget doesn't display the emails properly (but they used too).

Any ideas about what's going on?

w

Snoopy,

Mine stopped working also about the same time it seems yours did. I am wondering if its a bigger issue. I find it funny that on a Google OS that the only email I have issues with getting consistently is email from Google's email platform. Its odd because this has happened in the past and then it just starts working again. Its been more and more frequent though in the past 2 weeks.

Treborcj,

Factory reset is not really a solution. That may fix if for the time being but it will just happen again. My understanding is a factory reset will reset everything and I will have to resetup everything on my phone. Just not a true solutions but rather an easy way out lol.

Upvote 0
I think they are two entirely different email systems. The GMail app, is push, where the HTC is a Pull.

I have mine only setup for the gmail app as I feel that is going to consume less power as it does not have to check email at every interval.

Certain things I like about the HTC app that I would like to use, but I find the gmail app to be the most like gmail mobile.

Upvote 0
It's still weird... even when I do a refresh of my gmail in HTC mail, I don't get any new emails since when I initially set it up in HTC mail... Maybe there's some tag that makes the client think it already pulled those emails down? It's current in the Gmail app, but it would be great to have it in both since the HTC client offers some functionality that the Gmail client doesn't (like saving attachments).

Definitely a work in progress...

Upvote 0
I had an issue with gmail too on my hero, the gmail app just stopped working completely downloading new emails, unless i manually hit refresh, I got now emails at all. Took it to a sprint repair center, they couldn't figure it out and said they only saw this once before. They exchanged the phone and now it works again.

Upvote 0
I have a very similar issue. I've had my Hero two weeks, now for the third time, I have stopped receiving email. The Exchange ActiveSync says that it synced, but the new mail isn't on the phone. I can send without any issues. The first two times, I removed the account and recreated it, and all works fine. But three times in two weeks is a little crazy.

Any thoughts to the cause?

Upvote 0
I get the same issue here with my HTC mail app and my work Exchange Email. Mine always seems to stop after I power cycle my phone. Then if I go into settings->Data Sync-> and Exchange ActiveSync, I get the same security certificate pop up several times in a row. I keep hitting "Continue" but the same message pops up over and over again. But when I hit "Cancel", my email sync starts working again. I guess HTC's android email app isn't perfect with Exchange yet.

Upvote 0
I also have this issue. I use gmail for business and personal mail, so I have the GMail app sync'd to my personal account and the HTC app sync'd to my business account. My personal account has worked flawlessly since day 1. But I can't even count the number of times I've needed to delete the business account and recreate it. Like others have said, the HTC app will just stop fetching new mail at some point. It actually goes through the sync operation and it says the inbox is current, but no new mail will arrive. Very frustrating.

Upvote 0
Ok i found the solution for this issue with my phone. I have the 4g EVo and its rooted as well with new update. So i remember starting to have that issue when i downloaded the update on the market for gmail. As soon as I uninstalled the update for gmail then i could preview and open attachments. YES! it was horrible not being able to use it for work. I'm over there showing off my phone and my email doesn't even work. ;) hope this help people!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones