• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC One Compatibility with in-car Audio/Bluetooth/Hands Free

I've had some fun with connections recently. I replaced the Head unit in my car.

There are 3 methods to connect Phones to stereos; Via AV lead for standard stereo connection with out only and no control. Via USB to provide limited control and stereo connection, control varies from device to device greatly and most are only fully conpatable with iOS. And lastly Bluetooth again varing from device to device.

However with the Jellybean update the Mass storeage option has been removed from Android. This has created a number of issues as nearly all USB connection options will no longer work! (well done Google :mad:)

Hats off to the guy in Halfords, who was very helpfull while we systematically tried USB connections on all headunits on display...None of which would connect correctly to the phone. We then proceeded to try all the Bluetooth units, Again there were lots of issues and most are only compatible with iOS. Finally one connected, a Kenwood I believe...but the so called Red illumination Glowed Pink!... No Way
Down to desperation I noted that on the website they had another Sony model which was not on display...The store guy offered to install the unit in to my car for testing, so off we went.
Success!, Everything worked. being the lastest model it had the latest bluetooth standards and specifically compatible with Android phones. The Sony MEXBT3900U:- Halfords | Sony MEXBT3900U CD/MP3 Player
Bluetooth connection is excellent and easy. one setup it automatically connects without touching anything when i'm near my car. Phone numbers can be stored on the headunit and dialled. It announces when you get a text and can read then to you. Call sound quality is excellent and even though there is only a small hiden mic on the headunit I've had no complaints as it seem to pick up really well. music wise sound is good (just have to balance sound on phone as phone on full will cause distorsion went sent to headunit, mid way works) volume goes very loud. full control of tracks via unit and remote. Stream music whilst using sat Nav which then switchs to announcements at junctions.
Just about everything you could want and expect.
Only critisism would be Sonys App remote software (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sony.evc.app.launcher&feature=search_result#?t=W10.), I can't seem to get it to work correctly on the phone, but the HTC Ones built in Car mode app is excellent and connects great.

However with the Jellybean update the Mass storeage option has been removed from Android. This has created a number of issues as nearly all USB connection options will no longer work! (well done Google :mad:)

Does this mean you can no longer use OTG? Is Jellybean the latest firmware,newbie here. Thanks

Upvote 0
i have no issues with any of my machines (win 8 plus XP) seeing the phones internal storage. phone attaches in the car at the usb port to see files as well (although I use BT almost exclusively).

OTG works just fine on the ONE. i have an otg adapter and have used it to transfer files to/from a 64gb card.

Are you on Jellybean?

Upvote 0
I drive a 2012 Subaru WRX Base. It connects to Blue Tooth, but after 5 minutes.... also when I go to manually connect it tries to connect and it fails...

Anyone else drive a Subie and know a work around? Sometimes it'll connect immediately... sometimes it'll connect after a few minutes... sometimes it wont even connect at all.

I like the phone... and I know this issue is trivial since it does connect eventually (most of the times)... but seriously this is irritating me. My iphone was always seamless....

Upvote 0
Hi everyone nice forums here.

I just got my HTC one today , seems like a really nice phone. One thing i cant work out how to do is play music through a usb cable? I usually use my phone to listen to music in my car and at work but when i plug it into the car headset the tunes just play through phone? Any ideas? Thankyou jamie

Upvote 0
My car has an aux, USB and Bluetooth

When I connect to Bluetooth I can make calls hands free but no music
When I connect to USB it will only charge. Doesn't recognize it as a media device
If I plug my iPod or girlfriends iPhone I can play all audio (including YouTube) but haven't tried to make calls with this method
Obviously AUX I can have calls and music through car speakers.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
I have an HTC One Developer's Edition phone that I'm using on T-Mobile. I also have the Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS car stereo installed in my truck. I was able to pair the phone with my stereo, but when I make a call, I can't hear it dialing nor hear the person or message on the other side. They can hear me just fine. All other audio (i.e. radio, CDs, etc.) play just fine, but I can't seem to get the audio to come out through the speakers or hear anything when making a call. Has anybody had this issue? If so, have you been able to resolve it? Thanks in advance! :D

Upvote 0
Experience of using HTC One hands free bluetooth calls.
The phone pairs properly, transfers the phone book and call history to the car bluetooth system. When I use my car stereo to place phone calls, I can hear very well, but the people on the other side complain about the sound quality. Like there is some additional noise as well as the sound is distorted. As a side note, I didn't have this issue with iPhone 4 or Nexus 4.
When I switch to the phone speaker and microphone, the people on the line say the sound has improved dramatically.

Now, one friend suggested that it might be the noise canceling microphone. I am guessing, when I use the car stereo for making calls, I am using the microphones in my car and the phone is been used only to transmit cell data received via bluetooth. When I switch to phone speaker, then I am using the microphones built in the phone, and the noise canceling function works fine.

My 2 cents, what about if the noise canceling microphone doesn't turn off in car stereo mode, or any bluetooth mode. I think it should be disabled if the bluetooth function is used. In my case this would mean that there will be interference between my car microphones and the noise canceling microphone in the phone.

Is there a way to check it with further tests?

Upvote 0
I recently bought a HTC One and I am very plesaed with it.

As a frequent motorcycle driver I have an intercom system in my helmet (Sena SMH5) which connects with the phone through bluetooth. It works for listening to music, and I can even Pause/Play and switch to Next or Previous number with the controls on my helmet.

But when i try to use the phone from within the helmet, it does not work.
I press the Phone button on the helmet, and then some unrecognizable message is read out by a male voice. The phone itself turns black with a single word "Initializeren" (which is dutch for "Initialising") in the center. Then nothing happens :-(

How can I get this to work, as it would be very nice if I could be able to call home to let them know i will be a bit late because I can't stop riding ;-)

gr
Bas

Upvote 0
sounds like thats the voice prompt waiting to hear a command from your voice. however, usually there is a mic icon on the screen when this occurs but seems you dont see that

do you have the latest update for the smh5?

and are you saying the unit works fine otherwise in that is plays music, pauses, skips to the next track, etc., but when you want to initiate a call nothing happens other than this "initialising" message?

have you tried un pairing and re pairing the unit?

have you had previous android phones that worked with this unit?

look in the bluetooth tab of the phone under the settings tab and see what profile the phone has setup with the smh5....

Upvote 0
sounds like thats the voice prompt waiting to hear a command from your voice. however, usually there is a mic icon on the screen when this occurs but seems you dont see that

do you have the latest update for the smh5?
Yes

and are you saying the unit works fine otherwise in that is plays music, pauses, skips to the next track, etc., but when you want to initiate a call nothing happens other than this "initialising" message?
Yes

have you tried un pairing and re pairing the unit?
Yes

have you had previous android phones that worked with this unit?
No, No previous phones connected to this unit

look in the bluetooth tab of the phone under the settings tab and see what profile the phone has setup with the smh5....
Phone audio, media audio

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
contact the dev of the app and see if you can get a list of tested devices.

unpair and try "phone only" pairing.

1. Turn on the headset and press the Phone Button for 5 seconds
until the LED flashes red and blue alternately and you hear multiple
beeps.
2. Within 2 seconds, tap the Phone Button again, then the LED turns
to blue flashing and the beeps turn to multiple mid-tone beeps. You
will hear a voice prompt saying “Phone selective pairing”.
3. Search for Bluetooth devices on your smartphone. Select the Sena
SMH5 in the list of devices detected on your phone.
4. Enter 0000 for the PIN. Some smart phones may not ask for PIN.

make double sure the mic is connected properly and in the correct port.

another possibility is that the phone is not properly recognizing the button that is used for making calls.

difficult to diagnose over the internet.

if this product is portable, take it into a local shop and pair it with another phone, or if you have a friend who has a mobile phone, test with theirs. if you have an old phone lying around, test it with that.

if you have access to wired headphones (or wireless) with a mic, connect those and test to see if the voice call function works properly on the phone.

ASSuming you are not rooted and you are running the latest stock firmware, there is not much else to troubleshoot. being that your device is form a different country, there could be subtle software differences from US models that could also be causing an issue.

again, contact the company and see if you can get some official info on a list of compatible devices....

Contact Us

Upvote 0
Dropped a support request at Sena, will keep you posted.

Ok, heres the answer from Sena:

Chris Woodyard, Sep 06 16:51 (PDT):
I cannot say that there are any known problems between those two products as it is difficult to test every phone on the market. However, I was able to find this while researching and I think that it applies to your issue. http://androidforums.com/htc-one-s/571425-how-do-you-set-default-launcher-htc1s.html. The 5th post details how a user was able to set their wanted app to launch when a specific action was performed. The same thing could apply to setting the voice dialer on the HTC One to be launched when the phone button on the SMH5 is pressed.

Chris Woodyard
Technical Support Engineer
Sena Technologies Inc.

Upvote 0
LOL!!

I mean no disrespect to this gentleman, but who knows whats going on at his place. BT uses the crowded 2.4 ghz band and we all know microwaves, wireless routers and other devices can blow out things on this freq.

the op places the phone on some covered up table/book--why? whats the purpose?

your concerns are streaming bt in the car, well your experience can vary as with anything, but again i have zero issues with streaming in the car. i can stand outside of the car and still stream. if i walk away from the car then of course it starts to break up but this is to be expected.

the op uses a logitech gadget, so it could be part of the problem.

there are so many reasons as to why the op in the video is experiencing that. the op, with all due respect, could be a troll or a samsung shill paid to bad mouth the one. there were reports early this year that samsung was paying people to bad mouth the one. i am not saying this is what the op in the video is doing but i dont know. the op could have something rigged up to cause this issue, etc etc etc.

if you want me to personally send you a video demonstrating how the one streams in MY car, i am happy to do so. if you want me to go in my home and stream to my system, i am happy to do so.

i am sure some people are having issues but i dont think that are as dramatic as the video denotes. again i can only speak on my experience with this device and i have not ever had those issues.

one issue the evo 4glte had was broken streaming in the car. the workaround was to make a call (a random call) then hang up and start the stream and all was well. htc fixed this and i never saw it since.

some people have had some bt hiccups in the car and they mention disabling wifi helped. i never had to do this workaround in my car (2012 qx 56) so i cant comment.

yeah i know i went on a rant and i rarely EVER go on such things, but i just wanted to make a point to say dont take everything you read (even my post!) or see online as the LAST WORD--go out and test drive things for yourself.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
All good points marctronixx! :thumb:

Even though I've had issues w/BLUETOOTH & the ONE (which I cured w/a new,one-of-the-latest model B/T Headsets,which I would have bought anyway),
there's no humanly possible way to relate this experience to another,especially this one depicted/(scripted?) in the video.(Funny how the 1st thing you saw in the video was the SAMSUNG label on the TV,but,I digress)................:rolleyes:

I'm certain all HTC ONE's have had an update since release,which this could have been addressed,whether stated so or not.

Bottom line:ALL phones have a 1YR warranty MINIMUM.If it's defective take it back.It's not rocket science......... :alberteinstein: :banghead: :argh: :D

Upvote 0
I went out yesterday to test drive this to then Samsung galaxy 4 but all the wireless dealers here have these fake demo ones that don't work!!! For all their phones, what dumbass came up with this idea? I currently have an iPhone 4 and back then (3 whole years ago) these dealers would have the real phones so a customer can try all the different ones! And in that short time this has completely changed. Isn't this the whole point of retail over online shopping, seeing , feeling, playing with whatever it is your buying over just seeing it and reading stats on it?

Anyways I'm calling Rogers and seeing what their return is so I'm going to order the HTC One this weekend and have it next week, overall I think this device brings everything I want and I've seen some good and easy ways around my iTunes music and googles music to play nice with each other. I just hope that software update happens this month like HTC is saying, I heard you can turn the HTC logo as the button its missing?

Also can you make blink screen you lock screen?

And

With that sense tv it send notification about reminders about shows? Do you have to go into blinkfeed to see it? And does it show it at the start of the day in blinkfeed so at the start of the day I can see what shows are coming on, if my hockey team is playing today?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones