• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC People widget

Thanks, that helped, although it's still quite a few clicks to get to it. Scared me though!

I logged into the Gmail website, and looked under my contacts. There are 237 contacts under "My Contacts" and 312 contacts under "All Contacts". I created a new group called "Phone Contacts" and added all of "My Contacts" to that group. I then opened my Phone app on the Eris, and went to the Sync Groups option, selected all groups. Go to the Phone app, and now everything is gone!! They all say "Unknown" :eek: And there are only 13 contacts in my "Phone Contacts" group... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

So of course, I started to panic, thinking I lost over 200 phone numbers. I looked on Gmail, and they were still there, so I thought that was strange...

Looked back on my phone, and there were 187...

ahhhhhhh, now I get it... It just takes a few minutes to sync, haha...

WHEW!!!!!

Anyway, all synced back up now :D

However, my original problem still persists, lol...

Oh well, at least I learned a couple new things :)

Thanks for all the help (or at least attempts) guys!

Upvote 0
if you sync you phone up with google, all contacts, there is a easy interface you can use to sort people and create groups.
Ok, I don't get it. I am attempting to select my Gmail groups from my phone but I can't find where this is an option.

What I am trying to do is send out an email to one group only, but don't see how I can do that. Exactly where do I go to get the ability to designate which group of people I want to view? If I go to people>menu>view I get the option for Contact source (either Google or Phone, all of mine are Google) and then an option to show contacts that are duplicated. Where are the different groups I created in my Gmail listed on the phone?

Upvote 0
I have all mine set to automatically text. This way if i slip, it just goes to my text message.

The other cool thing is, I don't know if other programs other than Handcent do this, but if i'm in text message conversation, there is an icon on the top left that will call the person.

I forgot to mention this yesterday, but this is genius, good tip W4LLY

Upvote 0
I wasnt able to find a way to do this, so I created shortcuts to view certian people ... I like it better than the widget anyway.

To do this, goto the home screen and click the + button > shortcut > person > select the person > view contact. If you have bettercut or anycut (free) you can change the text to anything you want.

Edit: Guess there is an answer!

Hi Everyone,
Where to you get anycut and how do you use it?

;)I found a workaround for changing the shortcut persons name just using the Droid Eris. When you want to have two shortcuts for the same person, such as cell & home, it will list the shortcut with the My People name you have saved the contact as. So you would get two identical names for the shortcuts with the two different #'s, but not know which was cell or home until you tap it.

To correct his problem, since I couldn't change the name in the shortcut area, I did this:

1. Open My People, change the contact persons name to "Pats Cell", save.
2. Create the shortcut as advised above by "thetomlin2" contributor.
3. Open My People, change the contact persons name to "Pats Home", save.
4. Create the shortcut as advised above.
5. Open My People, change the contact persons name back to the original name for all his phone #'s email etc. I list all My People alphabetically by last name, so I changed it back to Smith Pat.
6. When you tap the shortcut for Pats Cell it correctly dials the cell #. When you tap the shortcut for Pats Home it correctly dials his home#.
When you look in My People the contact is listed correctly as Smith Pat.

Don't know how this works, but it does.:thinking:

This also works when you have more than one Smith etc. in your My People. You can just change the contact to a first name or nickname etc, save as a shortcut, then just change it back to the original name you had.

I tested this by shutting down Droid and rebooting and everything was still as I said above. So I guess it really does work.

Has anyone else ever tried this???

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones