• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Sense UI, is it worth it?

Jethro10

Aug 4, 2010
Hi.
I have a Motorola Milestone (droid) - stock android by choice - probably more curiosity than anything else.
A friend whole lives a long way away has a HTC Legend and I was able to spend 1/2 an hour with it over the weekend.

The wife is after a new phone and I was pondering if the HTC was good or bad for this custom interface.

What i saw was a keyboard supposedly better, but didn't seem to be, a Picture viewer, different but no better than mine, a contacts app that looked different, but why?
etc
etc

Am I missing something with the HTC Sense UI?

Thanks
Jeff

The htc Sense UI is perfect for a basic user. Its very fast, smooth, and the widgets are easy to use. If you're wife is not the techy type. She won't have problems using the phone. Every things set up to perform all basic phone operations easily, and quickly. (call, text, internet, mail etc)

If you're wife is looking for more of an advanced interface the Sence UI sort of falls short. It's not like a desktop where being able to multi-task in any direction is the main focus. It's set up to be a phone 1st, then a PC second.

Upvote 0
I don't know what the big deal is with sense, personally I hate it. I use other apps to replace everything anyways (LauncherPro Plus, Handcent, widgets, etc)

Sense just puts a lot of crap on your phone to run for no reason, just like Moto Blur, or any of the other skins.

Stock Android is WAY BETTER than any skin.

Upvote 0
Well The Sense UI in the Incredible and Evo is technically not using resources the way you'd think. Traditionally, like with WinMO devices, The UI overlay was technically a special program that was set up to run when the phone was booted and add a UI overlay to the phone. Yes, in these instances (and perhaps also with lower HTC devices like the Eris and Hero) they really did use resources and slow the phone down.

However, Sense in the Incredible and Evo does not use the kind of resources you'd think. Its very few and it adds a lot of added features and convience to the phone.

Upvote 0
HTC >> Moto

:)

Thanks for all the help folks, well except for this comment, which tells me nothing and seems to be trying to be provocative or inflamatory?
What does it mean anyhow? HTC is a bigger company than Motorola? or what?
Sorry, this didn't help.
To be honest, I though my Milestone was way better than the HTC I saw, not that it matters

Anyhow, looks like Sense UI is not going to be a problem either way to be honest.
Thanks
Jeff

Upvote 0
In all honesty, HTC Sense can only enhance your Android OS experience. Edges are smoothed out, and the system is set up intuitively. Some of the cool android GUIs are lost over the Sense ones, but nothing you can't live without. I think Sense is a great addition to Android, it just makes it more wholesome. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the help folks, well except for this comment, which tells me nothing and seems to be trying to be provocative or inflamatory?
Sorry, this didn't help.
To be honest, I though my Milestone was way better than the HTC I saw, not that it matters

Anyhow, looks like Sense UI is not going to be a problem either way to be honest.
Thanks
Jeff

Hardware wise I would take a MOTO over an HTC any day. I have never seen an HTC with good build quality other than the Nexus 1, which wasn't branded as an HTC phone. I replace most of the stock stuff anyways with stuff on the market so hardware is a bigger deal than software overlays anyways.

Upvote 0
Sorry, this didn't help.

Thanks
Jeff

pretty sure that guy was just stating his opinion...which you asked for.

so stop being a nancy and unbunch your panties...

Upvote 0
Thanks
Jeff

the symbol " > " means greater than. for example 2 > 1 means 2 is greater than 1. so what i'm assuming that person meant by " >> " is that HTC is A LOT greater than MOTO. That was his opinion which I don't think was meant to be provocative or inflammatory by any means, esp. with the " :) " at the end. .................. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones