• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Hydra over/under clocked kernal with wireless N

did you try all 3 of the overclocked kernels? He says to sequentially try them if the first/second don't work.

Sure did, even tried the very last one with no wireless n and overclocked a little less than than the others as I could care less about "N". I just downloaded and tried to install using rom manager. I'm a root newb so I could have screwed something up, but it all appeared pretty simple?

Upvote 0
Sure did, even tried the very last one with no wireless n and overclocked a little less than than the others as I could care less about "N". I just downloaded and tried to install using rom manager. I'm a root newb so I could have screwed something up, but it all appeared pretty simple?

I don't use ROM Manager, but it's really really easy if you just use ClockWorkMod. Put the .zip onto the root of your sdcard, go to the CWM screen and do install from zip, find the hydra kernal zip and then install it, reboot your phone and enjoy!

Upvote 0
I'll try that method, do I have to rename the zip file or anything? Just wondering if there is some "common knowledge" that i'm missing?

edit: NO GO with the above method either. just hangs on the htc incredible screen, restoring backup now. Guess my phone just doesnt like hydra?

It doesn't need to be renamed. What kernal did you try? I know the site is down right now, but I first tried the Overclock, Undervolt (without wireless N) which was #2 in the list, that one hung as soon as the phone got to the lock screen. So I downloaded the Overclock, Undervolt, with a slight overvolt (without wireless N), that was #4. That one worked. Maybe try the next one like I did.

Upvote 0
I tried 3 different ones, 7 was I think the last one I tried, mild Oc undervolt with no n. Mine won't go past HTC incredible screen. I tried to load a Rom today to and that failed, I gotta be doing something wrong. Have the log and reported it. Weird, I usually don't have issues with this stuff. This one has me baffled, guess I just fail at android ;)

Upvote 0
Well at least I'm not the only one, no responses to my Rom thread really. I was hoping it was something simple but I have yet to figure it out. I'm an android newb but there has to be either something simple I'm missing or a slightly different build or something on the phone. I really really want to mess with Froyo so it kind of irks me.

Upvote 0
i am having the same issue as you gruss...i haven't tried w/ ROMs but every non-stock kernel i've tried won't get past the htc incredible screen on bootup

What ROM's are you guys using? Any every phone is different. SOme people will be able to use kernels that some can't. I haven't had trouble with any of them. I know with CM6 i used the 1.15ghz Over-clocked with Undervolt and Wireless N. If you are having trouble with any of them not working. Try using the ones with overvolt. Undervolt will cause problems sometimes. Go on the safe side and use overvolt.

Upvote 0
Yeah just tried the simplest without n undervolt. No over clock and the same result. Just hung on HTC incredible screen. Maybe my phone doesn't like hydra kernels and that's why skyraider won't work? Any help appreciated folks, at this point root is worthless to me as I have no use for wireless tether other than saying I have it :p

Upvote 0
I tried all of the overclock versions, and had no luck with any of them. Same experience as last few posters. Heard in some irc channel, that it might be because of the qualcomm SOC manufacturing variance or something... The stock speed with the undervolt kernel is solid for me, and I do use the wireless-n, but isn't it backwards compatible with a/b/g?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones