• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I have been rooted less than 24 hours

Like PARick, I have a few questions on where to really go from here. SuperUser is correctly loaded, but I need help correctly operating ROMManager(premium) and setcpu.

I DL ROM Manager(premium) from appbrain as well as set cpu. But I heard you need to have specific kernels to safely overclock the phone. I instantly created a backup so I can feel free to play around from here. Late last night I in installed CyanogenMod but decided to go back to my backup after i was unable to sync my gmail and facebook accounts using CMG.

My question to you guys, is what ROM/Kernel should I DL to allow me successful overclocking as well as that WOW factor to make me feel like I truly made the right choice.

Thanks to everyone for all their help in here.

Upvote 0
Nice Mr. Chaffin. We need a "No Thanks" button.

Denied! :D

Like PARick, I have a few questions on where to really go from here. SuperUser is correctly loaded, but I need help correctly operating ROMManager(premium) and setcpu.

I DL ROM Manager(premium) from appbrain as well as set cpu. But I heard you need to have specific kernels to safely overclock the phone. I instantly created a backup so I can feel free to play around from here. Late last night I in installed CyanogenMod but decided to go back to my backup after i was unable to sync my gmail and facebook accounts using CMG.

My question to you guys, is what ROM/Kernel should I DL to allow me successful overclocking as well as that WOW factor to make me feel like I truly made the right choice.

Thanks to everyone for all their help in here.

This will pertain to the OP as well as anyone else that is new to Root.

First of all, I was chillin with a rooted Droid in December and didn't really know why either. Why?...cause I could. If someone wants to root their phone and ask "now what"...no reason is needed...no justification required...nuff said.

Instead I will ask a different question. What do you want to do with your phone that you couldn't before? You can load a new ROM, you can overclock (usually ROM's come with a 800MHz or 1GHz OC kernel already), you can theme it (with or without a custom ROM, you can move apps to the sd card using a variety of methods (I prefer Titanium Backup), you can run apps that require root access (like drocap2 from the market so you can take some screenshots of all those custom ROMs and themes :))...you can do lots of things.

What I think kennychaffin was trying to say is that you SHOULD know what you are doing before you do it. You now have root access...you now have super user status with your phone and your phone will "allow" you to do all kinds of stupid things :D. You can delete things you shouldn't delete, you can create a lot of work for yourself fixing mistakes you make. It's okay...we all have been there...but you need to understand a few things before you move forward.

RECOVERY IMAGES!!! This is a biggie. Your custom recovery image (aka ClockworkMod, or SPRecovery) is VERY important. Read through some posts...do some searching...figure out how to make backups...how to restore backups and this is the most important thing...MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE YOU MAKE SIGNIFICANT CHANGES TO YOUR PHONE (new kernel, new theme, new ROM...you get the idea). If you only learn this...you will be fine ;)

Overclocking is not the same for everyone. If you load a 1.25GHz or 1.3GHz kernel and then can't boot your phone up...I bet I know what your problem is :D. My phone can be clocked to 1.2GHz but it's not usually 100% stable. 1.1GHz is 100% stable for me so that is usually what I run. OC'ing also = decreased battery life and increased cpu & battery temperatures. I'm running at 1.0GHz right now cause that's all I need and that extra 100Mhz could cost me 30 minutes of battery life...with no real gain. You should definitely play around to see what your phone can handle. loading a 1.3GHz kernel won't hurt your phone...it just probably won't run (or you'll see random reboots, force closes everywhere, etc.).

Hopefully this helps... Just remember that when people tell you to read the instructions...or to "know what you are doing", they are looking out for you. Now you may not brick your phone (it is pretty hard to do that anymore), but you will spend hours...frustrated...trying to fix things you broke. But if you are familiar with your recovery image...make periodic backups as well as timely backups (before you do anything significant to your phone), you should be just fine.

Upvote 0
I'm surprised no one ever mentions AdFree Android of one the first things to download from the market after rooting. For me it was worth it to root just to get rid of all the ads

You know, you're right. When I rooted my first phone (Eris) that was why. It was all the reason I needed; no more ads. Now most of the ROMs I end up using have this option built in as script so I don't think about it anymore. After looking though, I still have the program installed.

Upvote 0
I have read that people should do a "wipe" of their phone prior to rooting. Is this true and can someone maybe explain how to go about doing that and what it exactly removes from your phone (ie photos, videos that are saved on your memory card).

I really would like to try and root mainly because I like the idea of being able to customize my phone and the wireless tether would be great also

Thanks for the help...I'm trying to get up the courage to finally root. This thread has really helped with this.

Upvote 0
Doing a wipe will not affect your sd card

You should wipe data/cache to avoid problems if you are switching between different devs roms but with the 2.2 roms you don't necessarily have to, I've only wiped cache (not data) when updating since the first 2.2 rom was released and went from that to FRF57, 84, then FRG01B, FRG22, and now FRG22D and haven't had an issue with not doing a data wipe.

Upvote 0
:D How silly.

Something useful like this post.

:D

You know know nothing of the sort, which is why I brought it up. I don't think he knows either - just that it's something "cool" to do.

Clearly if he knew then he wouldn't be asking -- that's my point. And that too is the purpose of "these" forums.

I'll refer you to your own advice in your last sentence above.
may the crabs of a thousand hookers infest your crotch with while your hands are bound behind your back .... you sir ... are a jagoff

as far as the OP goes most of what i have thought has been suggested over and over, but while skimming i didnt see these
-wireless tether for root users
-adfree

-rommanager
-setcpu

Upvote 0
I have read that people should do a "wipe" of their phone prior to rooting. Is this true and can someone maybe explain how to go about doing that and what it exactly removes from your phone (ie photos, videos that are saved on your memory card).

I really would like to try and root mainly because I like the idea of being able to customize my phone and the wireless tether would be great also

Thanks for the help...I'm trying to get up the courage to finally root. This thread has really helped with this.

These are instructions I wrote specifically for the Liquid Frozen Yogurt ROM but I have used this exact procedure for a very long time... If you don't follow these instructions, you may (most likely) see problems ;)

1) Reboot into recovery (ClockworkMod Preferably)

NOTE: If you haven't already done a backup...do one now. I always perform my backups via ROM Manager so I can properly label my backups. If you need to do a backup at this point it will work exactly the same way but it names your backup with time and date information (you can rename the file later)

Here's how to create a backup in ClockworkMod Recovery
From the main recovery screen, go to: Nandroid and then select "Backup"

2) Select "wipe data/factory reset" - This will actually format your Data, Cache, and SD-ext partitions

3) Go into the "partitions menu"

4) Format "Boot"

5) Format "System"

6) Go back to the main screen (power button backs you out to the previous menu)

7) Install zip from sdcard

8) Choose zip from sdcard

9) navigate to where you have stored the zip file and select it (no need to rename the file)

NOTE: You can do the same thing if you are using SPRecovery (you will need to rename the file to update.zip) but you have to format partitions using ADB shell (there are no menu options to format partitions like there is with ClockworkMod).

Reactions: Grey1001
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones