• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I have had a lot of phones this year and x batt is

I've had the Blackberry Curve, Curve 2 (8530), Tour, Storm, Storm 2, Pearl, LG Dare, LG Env 2, LG Env Touch, Droid, Incredible, Touch Pro 2, Devour, Eris, Palm Pre Plus, and the Droid X in the last year or year and a half. The X is the best battery life when it comes to touchscreens, and can only be beat by phones that can't do 1/8th what the x can.

Upvote 0
I carry the EVO and the X, and do not find the X battery any better than the EVO, though I'd call them both satisfactory. I do keep the X in 'performance' mode though, I didn't get this phone to slow it down. Likely that if I dropped to the other modes, it may out-perform.

They do get warmer than I think they should though, especially the X.

Upvote 0
They do get warmer than I think they should though, especially the X.

That's an interesting point, and it's one that I'd argue is the opposite of what you'd think.

The guts of these devices are all surprisingly similar when it gets right down to it. Yeah, the big ticket items that we notice - CPU/GPU/storage - are all different, but the biggest thing that people notice, that the bottom of the phone gets hot, are all radios being activated. These radios across all phones are drawing very similar levels of voltage and thus will produce similar heat output.

That means that the phones that don't feel hot, are likely insulating the heat from the radios from your hand. Which is bad - you want the heat dissipated as quickly as possible. So, phones that feel hot may be the ones doing a better job at moving the heat away from the radios.

The are other possibilities, of course, like some phones may be designed to dissipate heat over a wider area, but it's unlikely on a complex device of this size that the heat is designed to go anywhere but right next to the radio and then out.

Upvote 0
That's an interesting point, and it's one that I'd argue is the opposite of what you'd think.

The guts of these devices are all surprisingly similar when it gets right down to it. Yeah, the big ticket items that we notice - CPU/GPU/storage - are all different, but the biggest thing that people notice, that the bottom of the phone gets hot, are all radios being activated. These radios across all phones are drawing very similar levels of voltage and thus will produce similar heat output.

That means that the phones that don't feel hot, are likely insulating the heat from the radios from your hand. Which is bad - you want the heat dissipated as quickly as possible. So, phones that feel hot may be the ones doing a better job at moving the heat away from the radios.

The are other possibilities, of course, like some phones may be designed to dissipate heat over a wider area, but it's unlikely on a complex device of this size that the heat is designed to go anywhere but right next to the radio and then out.

Thanks for the explanation.

Upvote 0
My Droid X battery life, unlike the Blackberry's I've owned including the Storm 2 I used up until four days ago, seems to fluctuate quite wildly in comparison. On one hand, intensive use does seem to drain it pretty quickly. On the other hand, light use with a little bit of setting tweaking suddenly increases the battery life an unexpected amount.

The shortest I've had so far as being at 30% after about 12 hours off the charger with some heavy use. On the other hand with pretty light use and some settings changes, my DX was at about 70% after being off the charger from around 8PM last night until 4PM today. That's what.. 20 hours? I should just go get a couple of spare batteries and then play around on the thing to my hearts content. :D

Upvote 0

i have only noticed my battery getting hot when plugged into the car dock and charging while using either nav or playing music.

my car mount has since broke due to an accidental crashing of it, but since not using it i havent noticed any heat issues while using the standard car charger and having music and or nav running at the same time.

Upvote 0
You can get as much or as little out of this battery that you want, which is great. I have mine in Nighttime saver mode. I have the social networks updating and all of that. With texts and phone calls I usually end the work day with 60% of the battery left and I am usually to about 30% to 40% by the time I go to bed, which is when I charge it. I could get more out of the battery if I changed by settings, or less, but this is what works great for me and I get all the information I want out of it. I love how you can control how long your battery will last.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones