• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I love love love my droid....but tempted by incredible

Simply put, Motorola makes better phones than HTC. No I'm not a Droid fan considering I've been using Blackberries for the past 5 years.

Side by side, HTC might have a higher spec, better looks, etc, but the quality is simply not there. For example, speaker problems, reception problems (design flaw). I also do not use the physical keyboard on the Droid. I can only hope Motorola makes a Google phone without one.

Upvote 0
I should also have clarified that I'm referring to the specific Snapdragon used in the Incredible (~768MHz model) when referring to CPU performance. There are dual-processor Snapdragons that are significantly faster than either.

That is 100% wrong. It is full 1Ghz. It down clocks when IDLE to 245Mhz, which means when the phone's screen is turned off to conserve battery. It is not underclocked at all. Complete 1Ghz of power.

Upvote 0
That is 100% wrong. It is full 1Ghz. It down clocks when IDLE to 245Mhz, which means when the phone's screen is turned off to conserve battery. It is not underclocked at all. Complete 1Ghz of power.

I agree that me saying 768MHz as fact is contestable, but bringing up full 1GHz as a "100% truth" is just as questionable.

1GHz is listed in the same manual that doesn't list 8GB of extra memory, and then there's the Evergreen thread that calls 576MB questionable when the manual clearly says it, but lists 8GB and 1GHz as fact.

It's all questionable as far as I'm concerned. If it comes out with a totally different 3.7" (if not larger) panel, full 1GHz, and 8GB of internal storage then it will be interesting.

If we're taking the manual as the truly factual document or the only true information we have, then there's no true evidence that the CPU will be down clocking to 245MHz.

In the end, the "word of mouth" sources disagreeing with pieces of the manual makes everything contestable imo.

Upvote 0
Simply put, Motorola makes better phones than HTC. No I'm not a Droid fan considering I've been using Blackberries for the past 5 years.

Side by side, HTC might have a higher spec, better looks, etc, but the quality is simply not there. For example, speaker problems, reception problems (design flaw). I also do not use the physical keyboard on the Droid. I can only hope Motorola makes a Google phone without one.

As of right now I dont think you can say motorola makes better phones then HTC hands down. IMO the only good phone motorola has made in a while is the droid although I haven't tried the more recent ones like the backlfip and devour although I don't like them at all from the looks. Also the droid has some quality issues of its own. I remember before they shipped out new battery covers it would come off all the time, the headphone jack is awful and the camera is nice but not as good as I thought it would be. Everyone phone is going to have quality issues. I guess the phone for you is how many of those issues actually effect how you use the phone day to day.

Upvote 0
I agree that me saying 768MHz as fact is contestable, but bringing up full 1GHz as a "100% truth" is just as questionable.

1GHz is listed in the same manual that doesn't list 8GB of extra memory, and then there's the Evergreen thread that calls 576MB questionable when the manual clearly says it, but lists 8GB and 1GHz as fact.

It's all questionable as far as I'm concerned. If it comes out with a totally different 3.7" (if not larger) panel, full 1GHz, and 8GB of internal storage then it will be interesting.

If we're taking the manual as the truly factual document or the only true information we have, then there's no true evidence that the CPU will be down clocking to 245MHz.

In the end, the "word of mouth" sources disagreeing with pieces of the manual makes everything contestable imo.

True, I agree. But there is no way it will be down clocked to 768Mhz. I also read some where (again forgot the source, I am sorry.) that the snapdragon processor can't be down clocked to 768Mhz for consisent running. Like they only make 1Ghz and that it. Then it has it's idle speed and what not. That is what I read too. Not sure how true it is.. Beside, if it is, I'll just root it and bring it up to where it needs to be on processor speed lol.

But in the end, I HIGHLY doubt they down clocked it... We'll find out monday though. There is some announcement from Verizon coming out, not sure if it's phones or in regards to Verizon's new NFL thing or whatever it is. I'm just excited for it! :D

Upvote 0
Wow- A lot of you folks do not use the keyboard? Must be a lot of non-gamers here ;) need the keyboard for all of the great emulators on Android :) Touch screens are weak for inputs unless very basic games like Tetris. Even the much touted iPhone screen sux for game emulators due to touch screen input. Without a keyboard, you are missing out on playability with:

NES
SNES
GBC
Genesis
Turbografx
MAME
GBA
Sega
Commodore 64
Amiga

I have a lot of devices and Android's emulators are the best of any phone type OS. No contest. Need the keyboard, unless games are not an issue. Not to mention this takes care of the app space issue, since all the roms are zipped on the microsd card :)

BTW, I used a Droid for a few weeks back in November (could not get out of my Tmo contract then, so returned it). The keyboard must have been improved, since the live demo at best Buy today was not as flat and hard to press as the one I had then. I would grade the November keyboard a C- and the one today at BB a B+. I thought it was just as good as my N900, if not better, since more space at the top row of keys than the N900 (Display bezel gets in the way on N900).

Upvote 0
I've been thinking about switching to the Incredible over the past few days. But... I do love my Droid as well; it's the best phone I've ever owned. The only thing that is holding me back is the lack of a physical keyboard. It's pretty much a must for me right now (I used to own the Dare and had nothing but headaches without one, so I swore off virtual keyboards...). I guess I'll make a decision on a switch when I can play around with a floor model and see what it does for me.

Upvote 0
As of right now I dont think you can say motorola makes better phones then HTC hands down. IMO the only good phone motorola has made in a while is the droid although I haven't tried the more recent ones like the backlfip and devour although I don't like them at all from the looks. Also the droid has some quality issues of its own. I remember before they shipped out new battery covers it would come off all the time, the headphone jack is awful and the camera is nice but not as good as I thought it would be. Everyone phone is going to have quality issues. I guess the phone for you is how many of those issues actually effect how you use the phone day to day.

And while the Droid (moto) is SOLID, nobody will argue that, it's not like they haven't had issues of their own. Camera's didn't work until they sent an update well after they started selling them. Some people reported loose cases. Some reported loose screens. They are not perfect.

I am not saying HTC is better, in fact I really have no idea. But I find it hard to believe Motorola makes such a superior phone to HTC. Droid v.s Eris, well sure. Let's wait for the Incredibe before we start making assumptions.

I will agree Moto has better reception. but that comes with it's prices if you believe in radiation level warnings. Moto is the worst one out there.

Again, not saying I believe in that stuff. Just saying other phone makers are not willing to take it that high. And that being said, my wife never had reception issues with her Eris, which by the way turned out to be a pretty solid device. I will say this, her's never broke and had to be sent back like my Moto's.

Upvote 0
I'd wait. All that speed sounds fantastic, but... it is HTC. Their "superphone" that was supposed to put Apple and RIM out of business, save America's economy, and lead cell phones into the 25th century... has had all kinds of issues. Now the fanboys will say that is a superphone and all this "character" is part of having the bleeding edge. But even pro-Android sites are questioning the build quality.

I've never used a N1, but the Droid is well built and I trust Motorola more than I do HTC. HTC does tempt me, and would have probably tempted me to get one of their phones, but because nothing was released at CTIA, I ended up with a droid and am happy with it. No regrets or complaints.

I would wait for a month or two and see what people here say about it.

Upvote 0
Reasons for why to get the HTC Incredible instead of the Droid for me:

1. 1GHZ Snapdragon processor
2. 576MB ROM
3. HTC's Sense UI w/ HTC widgets + Android widgets
4. Sexiness (I can't say that the Droid is very sexy)
5. 8MP camera
6. HTC's onscreen keyboard (much better than stock Android's)
7. Lighter

Overall, the HTC Incredible is a better phone, even if it doesn't produce the "crisp text" that Motorola Droid does. That is just being extremely, annoyingly picky. Also, it's unfair to immediately assume that it will have 3G connectivity issues considering that HTC most likely will have already fixed the issue after the whole Nexus One fiasco and since now it'll be on Verizon's network and not T-Mobile's. The phone design itself is far different from the Nexus One's also.

Upvote 0
Reasons for why to get the HTC Incredible instead of the Droid for me:

1. 1GHZ Snapdragon processor
2. 576MB ROM
3. HTC's Sense UI w/ HTC widgets + Android widgets
4. Sexiness (I can't say that the Droid is very sexy)
5. 8MP camera
6. HTC's onscreen keyboard (much better than stock Android's)
7. Lighter

Overall, the HTC Incredible is a better phone, even if it doesn't produce the "crisp text" that Motorola Droid does. That is just being extremely, annoyingly picky. Also, it's unfair to immediately assume that it will have 3G connectivity issues considering that HTC most likely will have already fixed the issue after the whole Nexus One fiasco and since now it'll be on Verizon's network and not T-Mobile's. The phone design itself is far different from the Nexus One's also.

I agree with all those reasons as to why to get it. But also on the hardware issues, my G1 worked awesome for me.. HTC product... Mytouchs are amazingly made! HTC Droid Eris's have not had a single problem yet! So that is just wrong to say. The Nexus One just had a FEW bad batches. Some people had problems, some didn't. Trust me, Verizon of all people wouldn't release it if it wasn't well made. .... Maybe why we haven't seen the Nexus One yet?! :thinking:

Upvote 0

I think it's all in the matter of opinion here... because i've used phones from most major manufacturers these days, and HTC is top of the line for me, and will the my only direction for manufacturers for quite some time until someone better (in my opinion) comes along with a better device.

So, not really simply put. Motorola just makes better phones than HTC in YOUR eyes.

Upvote 0
I will certianly get a HTC N1 or Incredable when they are avaliable. The only time I used the keyboard was when I put the 2.1 update on the phone. Other than that I have no use for it... It unnecessarly adds to the weight and bulk of the phone. It's squared off shape also makes it hard to get out of a pocket.

The HTC phones seem to be significantly faster as well...

Upvote 0
Unless moto comes up dry in the next 8 months to a year, I'll look elsewhere, until then, it's moto all the way. The only phone from HTC that seems decent in my eyes right now, is the EVO and that's mainly because of the screen size. But until I get confirmation that their recent problems haven't carried over to their other phones and is a thing of the past, I'll always be skeptical. I'm confident Moto will have a replacement, I just hope it's at least a 4.3 inch screen.

Upvote 0
The best way to determine if it's a good wine, is if tastes good to you.

The best way to determine if it's a good phone, is if it works well for you.

There are so many different smart phones on the market today (not all), that are well built and loaded with features. The top tier phones out there are similar on so many different levels, it really comes down to personal preference.

Just my 2 cents -

Upvote 0
See the EVO 4G is awesome and all, but I don't need an HDMI output, or a front facing camera. And I've never used a 4.3 inch screen so I can't comment if i'd like one that big or not. But it will be nice.. Just sprints network it ehhh. Verizon's is :D

Seems to me I've heard that before somewhere....when was....oh that's right...June 29, 2007.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones