• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I need some help with a samsung galaxy tab 2 that I just got

reble

Android Enthusiast
Sep 1, 2012
Kennewick Wa
I just got this Samsung Galaxy tab 2 -10.2 model gt-p5113 at an Amateur Radio swap meet on Sat. It boots up just fine. But the manual that I found online at http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...03869/GT-P5113_English_User_Manual_LH3_F1.pdf . On page 13 it talks about putting in the SD card. I have looked over that tablet stem to stern and top to bottom with a lighted magnifying glass. I found on top what looks to be like 2 very small micro miniature USB plugs. But I still can't find the SD port. I uploaded a few pictures so you can see what I have. I hope they help.

Also does this tablet have external mic jack?

Steve

Attachments

• samsung tablet1.jpg
    samsung tablet1.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 177
  • samsung tablet2.jpg
    samsung tablet2.jpg
    417.6 KB · Views: 138
If I recall, in portrait mode, the slot is on the left-hand side. I put one in on the one I gave my dad. Perhaps, it's covered by your case? (Just remembered, this on a Tab 4.)

See if this helps:
Scroll half page down and on the left,
Click on: Understanding Your Device and select Back View, then see 'C', next to 'D'(volume), 'E' is the built-in mic, no separate jack for an ext mic.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/GT-P5113TSYXAR

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
I finely figured out the problem about the SD port. The tablet was encased in a water proof Otter Box. There is 2 layers in this Otter Box. The rubber outer shell, than the inner plastic case covering the tablet it self. It took me a bit to figure it out. When there is a discrepancy between what the manual says and what I see. I move very slowly when I need to open any kind of an electronic device case.

On the separate jack for an ext mic: I can do a bit of jarry rigging on the ext mic. Or is there a USB mic available? Or a Bluetooth mic available? I got the tablet to run sound card powered digital ham prog's And run the to and from audio lines from my laptop. The digital decoding software won't run if they are in the same computer as the remote base software.

Upvote 0
I finely figured out the problem about the SD port. The tablet was encased in a water proof Otter Box. There is 2 layers in this Otter Box. The rubber outer shell, than the inner plastic case covering the tablet it self. It took me a bit to figure it out. When there is a discrepancy between what the manual says and what I see. I move very slowly when I need to open any kind of an electronic device case.

On the separate jack for an ext mic: I can do a bit of jarry rigging on the ext mic. Or is there a USB mic available? Or a Bluetooth mic available? I got the tablet to run sound card powered digital ham prog's And run the to and from audio lines from my laptop. The digital decoding software won't run if they are in the same computer as the remote base software.
Not following your specific application needs, but
If you don't want to use the built in mic, perhaps pick up a cheap cell phone headset w/mic and see if that that will work.

I looked at the Otter Box again. There is no way to get access to the SD port through the Otter Box case.
So the case is covering the slot, yes? If that's the case, then you need to remove the case.
This might help:
et. al.
or, Google: how to open otterbox

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
To AnciusD

I said before "On the separate jack for an ext mic: I can do a bit of jarry rigging on the ext mic. Or is there a USB mic available? Or a Bluetooth mic available? I got the tablet to run sound card powered digital ham prog's And run the to and from audio lines from my laptop. The digital decoding software won't run if they are in the same computer as the remote base software.

And AnciusD replyed back with: "Not following your specific application needs, but If you don't want to use the built in mic, perhaps pick up a cheap cell phone headset w/mic and see if that that will work." In answer to your question. Look at the attached picture file.

Attachments

• digital tx setup.jpg
    digital tx setup.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 207
Upvote 0
To AnciusD

I said before "On the separate jack for an ext mic: I can do a bit of jarry rigging on the ext mic. Or is there a USB mic available? Or a Bluetooth mic available? I got the tablet to run sound card powered digital ham prog's And run the to and from audio lines from my laptop. The digital decoding software won't run if they are in the same computer as the remote base software.

And AnciusD replyed back with: "Not following your specific application needs, but If you don't want to use the built in mic, perhaps pick up a cheap cell phone headset w/mic and see if that that will work." In answer to your question. Look at the attached picture file.

Not sure I can offer much more. I'm just giving you basic suggestions. No personal experience with ext mics on a tablet much less jerry-rigging input/output. Please keep us apprised of any progress you make. Might be of help to someone else. Best of luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones