• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I Really Need Your All Help..

Xavier Black

Android Expert
Sep 21, 2015
Texas
Let me start by saying the big issue:
Every times I soft or manually remove the external sd card from my phone it makes it crash and bricks..just like that and nothing less..the touchwizz isn't recognize..so I have to install over again the firmware and start all over again.
Now allow me to say what is been done on the phone that can give you some light to a good advice:

Well, my phone is rooted, it has a 4extension on the external sd card, also I've moved the 3th party applications to the sd card(about 95 of them)..but apparently they don't dwell in the 4extension..my phone won't let me move them in there.

That's the only unusual settings in my phone..
And it's like the third time has bricked because of a external sd card was removed..

Please guys, help me on this, you have not idea how much I believe on you all..

Also thank you for taking me under your wings..you have not idea how much this forum has making me feel important..i sincerely appreciate it.

What's the reason for the Ext4 partition on the SD card? That's so you can extent the internal partition and move apps, correct?

Well, by doing that, it becomes non-removable while the phone is running. It would be similar to pulling out a hard drive while a PC is running. Of course it's going to lock up and quite possibly corrupt the OS. If you need to remove it for file transfers then don't mount the Ext4 partition, but keep it a FAT32, or use the Ext4 partition and never remove the card. use WiFi or OTG for file transfers.

Reactions: svim and steve
Upvote 0
What's the reason for the Ext4 partition on the SD card? That's so you can extent the internal partition and move apps, correct?

Well, by doing that, it becomes non-removable while the phone is running. It would be similar to pulling out a hard drive while a PC is running. Of course it's going to lock up and quite possibly corrupt the OS. If you need to remove it for file transfers then don't mount the Ext4 partition, but keep it a FAT32, or use the Ext4 partition and never remove the card. use WiFi or OTG for file transfers.

Spot on Luna. And let's not forget possible corruption of the SD card's filesystem.

Upvote 0
Yes, that's ext4 filesystem format, but with adoptable storage, the data is encrypted.

Except, I think when the adoptable storage option was introduced there were some failsafes built into the system to prevent total failure if the SD card was removed while the OS was running.

I think (guessing here) that it's like the difference between removing a hot-swappable disk and just your standard hard drive from a running PC

Upvote 0
Except, I think when the adoptable storage option was introduced there were some failsafes built into the system to prevent total failure if the SD card was removed while the OS was running.

I think (guessing here) that it's like the difference between removing a hot-swappable disk and just your standard hard drive from a running PC

Interesting. There must indeed be some sorcery going on there then, or my knowledge of Unix filesystems is pretty old, quite likely actually. Well anyway, AFAIK the thing that makes the filesystems quite susceptible to corruption, is the in-memory dynamic data structures like i-node tables. Every so often these data structures get flushed out to the disc (synced). I still remember the days when we had to shutdown from the command line in single-user mode, like this:

# sync
# sync
# halt

The extra sync command was to make sure that stuff was *really* flushed out to disc :)
But yeah I can see with hot swappable discs etc, that filesystem resilience has improved.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
THANK YOU ALL GUYS!!!, I feel the love through your words..I appreciate that!, hey listen..bear in mind that even I have the ext4..couldn't use it..it's just there taking about 5 gigs(the space I assigned to)..it is empty..the way I moved the apps was through the "move to sd card" option available in LinktoSDcard and some with the application manager(I don't get the grey out not available option..it's active)
The reason I couldn't use ext4 is because it makes the apps disappear..the icons become like ghosts in some of them.

That makes sense what you say..but what I don't understand is why the whole system crashes when I remove the sd card..if I simply moved the user apps..not an essential system application..

No, I am not locking of disk space any more..suddenly my phone came up with 7.5gigs of system space out of nowhere..

There's not such thing as a stupid question, my brother..not at all..
By both ways it becomes unstable and makes the whole system, rom, firmware if the phone to totally and completely crash and brick it right then and there..so I learned a lot with James(thank you bro!) to umbrick it..but I have to start all over again since format stage every times the problem happens..

I added a picture showing you all the available spaces..

Any light in this problem¿

So I guess removing the sd card, not good any more???

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-10-11-12-21-31.png
    Screenshot_2017-10-11-12-21-31.png
    204.2 KB · Views: 107
Reactions: Member243850
Upvote 0
Can you reinstall Touchwiz without the the sd card inserted into your phone? Very unusual issue but for all I know could be very common (I don't have much experience with Samsung phones).

From what I read it all points to files used during runtime on your sd card. Maybe you already tried to reinstall everything without the sd card inserted?

Upvote 0
Steve!, thanks for checking on..nice of you..I haven't had the courage to remove the card again..it's a painful process..it's the only way to prove your intriguing and very interesting suggestion..I'm very tempted, trust me..I really like yours..

But hey, my question still stands..why do you think it makes the whole system crash if it is just 3th party applications that were moved..nothing essential..

Thanks bros..

Reactions: steve
Upvote 0
When I posted free issue..I already had the phone unbricked, master reseted, rooted, reinstalled ALL over again..it's true..it takes me about 5 to 7 hours to finish that process to the teeth the way I like my phone to work and look..that's the main reason I haven't done your suggestion(remove the card while it's on)..

Upvote 0
Yes I made a copy with CWM Manager and then when the phone started again, moved that back up to the external sd card..but like I said, that copy was no where to be found..even when I copied it back to the internal storage(or where was created in first place)..fortunately I always keep an outdated back up of Titanium..so with that is like 6 hours of extensive work to put the phone back how it was..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones