• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I think I'm pulling the trigger..

rogue_slc_vzw_rep

Android Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2010
An upgrade is available for 2 lines on my account, (perk of working at vzw, can upgrade every 10 months at 2 year pricing) and from the moment the Droid X hit the market I've been set on it until now. Now, if the DX would be bogo and available for over night shipping this decision would be 100000x harder but I am passing on waiting for the DX to be available for a few reasons. They are as follows:

1. Boot loader on the DX is locked. This will be the case with all Motorola phones moving forward. Having had a Droid since last Novemeber I would like nothing more than to stay with MOTO but they have pushed me away from them because they locked down their phone.

2. BOGO

3. Battery life seems to be better on the fascinate than the DX from what I'm reading here.

4. While I like the screen on the DX its just too big for my pocket and the bump does turn me off a little.

Here are a list of things that I know I'm passing up...

1. FM radio. (whens the last time I listened to FM radio again?)

2. 2.2 will not come to me as quickly as it will the MOTO. This is a big one coming from a phone that HAS 2.2. I'm hoping from root I'll be able to flash a version early but thats a hit I'm willing to take. I rarely use flash now and with the phone having VCAST and NFL mobile I'm set.

3. .3 inches of real estate on the phone.. but see list above to counter that.

4. I am a little worried about the GPS on the Fascinate and know that it will be working right from day 1 on the X. Again, thats something I will have to risk since I am no longer investing in MOTO phones.

5. 6 GB of internal memory.. that does suck..

So there are more losses than benefits of the route I'm going but I think its worth it. The price alone BOGO with a 50 dollar gift card I can use is pretty awesome and undeniable in my decision. If anyone has anything to counter my "pros" and "cons" feel free. I'll be up with my my verizon open on a tab in my browser ready to pull the trigger....

GPS works well, but you may have to reboot the phone prior to using Google Navigation to get satellites to lock, unless you guys get free VZNav as well.;)

Also, Google Navigation volume is really low right now, hard to hear.

Signal reporting is wonky on the Fascinate. I think it is software only though. Performance doesn't seem to be affected as far as dropping calls goes.

Upvote 0
GPS works well, but you may have to reboot the phone prior to using Google Navigation, unless you guys get free VZNav as well.;)

Also, Google Navigation volume is really low right now, hard to hear.

Signal reporting is wonky on the Fascinate. I think it is software only though. Performance doesn't seem to be affected as far as dropping calls goes.

I'm using the mobile signal widget.. will that give me a more true reading?

Google Nav at low volumes is ok.. I'm pretty good with getting around here and have only used nav while traveling out of state..

PSh.. i would get vznav half off but have NO intentions to pay for that program..

Are you saying I am making the right decision here? My thought process here is MOTO is locking their shit down, theyre out of the picture. ALL HTC phones I've used have been nothing but problems and the INC and Eris both have major issues whether it be battery or UI which turns me off to all future HTC offerings. I am basically seeing this as my best option for the next several months especially at that price.. Hell, if my wife doesnt want the extra Fascinate I can sell it for 450+ online..

Upvote 0
I was using Mobile Signal Widget as well. No, it wont be more accurate because it is just reporting what the phone is getting.

Look at the signal strength, the number in -dBm and note how it fluctuates quite a bit. Also note how it increases/decreases in increments of 5 dBm and not increments of 1. I've never seen a phone do that before.

My Droid 1 will report a signal that may drift up and down a little, but it will do so by 1 dBm increments, or random larger numbers, not always by 5.

Upvote 0
But I believe all that signal shenanigans is just a bug that doesn't affect the actual performance of the phone. ;)

lol right.. I guess if samsung is willing to play ball with updates and support their devices id be ok. You kinda think theyd have to since theyre spreading their galaxy line across all the big carriers. I really hope theyre serious about playing in the android game

Upvote 0
eh.. im an analyst there now.. i am going to talk to our "data guy" at work that doesnt give me bullshit cause he knows what hes talking about though.. tier 2 wouldnt really know anything unless it was a known issue provided to us by samsung or something we've found then you'd just get your phone replaced

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones