• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I wanna root but.....

jammallnyte

May 2, 2010
But I have a couple questions.

1) Is on ROMs...... man there are so many out there. Honestly I like the 1.6 but there are a few reasons to move to a 2.x ROM(Cyanogen 2.1 interests me alot). Where would a rookie like me go for the more stable and useful ROMS???

2) When you root I assume you lose the Apps on your phone, right?? But when you flash different ROMS do you lose the apps there too??

The one thing that scares me is things like this:

Radio Required: Latest Radio

SPL Required: Death SPL

Everything makes sense they I get this stuff. Looking at rooting and trying

KiNgxKxlick Espresso2G1 v1.3, Release 1.3

but it says it needs the above. So when I use the Unlocker one click version how do I do the radio and slp? And what exactly are these?

Upvote 0
The radio is how your phone communicates with the cell towers for voice and data. Chances are pretty good that yours is current, but I doubt that it matters much if it isn't. Nonetheless, go to Settings>About phone and look for the Baseband version. If it ends in 23.02, it's current. If not, I can find a link to download a flashable file.

Danger/Death SPL is only required for the G1. It's mentioned as a requirement for the ROM because the ROM was written for G1. The MT3G has enough space to retain the stock SPL, the G1 doesn't.

As for the Unlockr videos, there are a few people here who've used them successfully, and liked them. I used Cyanogen's tutorial, so I don't have any firsthand experience with the videos.

Oh, and yes; you'll lose your apps when you root. Download Astro if you don't already have it, and back up as many as you can with it. You won't be able to back up the paid apps and maybe some of the free ones, but it'll save you some time from having to re-download them all.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones