• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I want the Galaxy Tab 2 player on my Nexus!

mrspeedmaster

Android Expert
May 16, 2010
So I got a Galaxy Tab 2 $250.

Man, it smokes the Galaxy Nexus in just playing videos.
It plays wmv up to 1080p. PLayed a few mkvs and no problems.

The Nexus w/ MX player and a paid version of Dice player plays at 15 fps with drop frames and bad audio synch.

The Tab 2 has an 1ghz TI OMAP 4430 CPU vs our 1.2 ghzTI OMAP 4460.
So the player should work. I tried apk backup but it is a protected file.

Just goes to show, a Google Experience device isn't as great as it hyped up to be. Even on the box, Samsung said the Tab supports all these codecs. I guess they (samsung) paid for those codecs whereas Google skimped on video codec royalties for the Nexus.

Personally, I don't know why your trying to play 1080p video on a 720p device. In that sense, your creating unnecessary stress for the device which doesn't even support those formats. Plus, your wasting memory space.

Not trying to defend the Nexus's apparent shortcoming, but I've always gone under the assumption that if a video is not less than or equal to the device's native resolution, and isn't MP4, there is no guarantee it is going to work.

That's my philosophy, you may disagree, but I digress.

I personally would try converting it to 720p H.264 MP4 since its a tried and true format. I know its a bit inconvenient, but for a PC with a modern processor, this shouldn't take more than a half hour, maybe an hour, tops.

Upvote 0
Personally, I don't know why your trying to play 1080p video on a 720p device. In that sense, your creating unnecessary stress for the device which doesn't even support those formats. Plus, your wasting memory space.

Not trying to defend the Nexus's apparent shortcoming, but I've always gone under the assumption that if a video is not less than or equal to the device's native resolution, and isn't MP4, there is no guarantee it is going to work.

That's my philosophy, you may disagree, but I digress.

I personally would try converting it to 720p H.264 MP4 since its a tried and true format. I know its a bit inconvenient, but for a PC with a modern processor, this shouldn't take more than a half hour, maybe an hour, tops.

Let see. I have 6 TB of videos.
I have 4 tablets ranging from Ipads to Android Galaxy
I have 4 smartphones in the household.

So I would have to convert each and every video for each device. I would need to create un-necessary space on my home's file server.

Most importantly I usually just stream off the file server 80% of the time. When I in my garage, I mount a samba volume on either my iOS or Android device and watch off the file server.

So when I head out to the gym, I am going to waster 20-40 minutes before hand to re-encode the videos to a specific device. After my work-out, I'll just end up deleting the videos off the device.

It is really convenient just to drop the movies in, watch them and delete them when I'm finish. Especially when I am just heading out.

So I know the videos exceed the device's screen resolution but I rather not have to downsample and make un-necessary copies of "temporary videos"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones