• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I want to access Temperature data remotly.

Skidaddle

Lurker
Sep 23, 2010
I have an idea about using an old phone to tell me the temperature at a remote location. I need to know when a greenhouse or any remote location approaches freezing by sending an alarm to my computer or another Android phone. I thought about something similar to remote GPS locating but getting the temperature data instead of the GPS data. I could just leave my old Android phone in the Greenhouse. I know absolutely nothing about App development, I started to look at the SDK but first I needed to know Java, BASIC is as far as I ever got on a BBC.

How would you get the other phone to detect the temperature? That's the main issue I can see. Getting the phone to broadcast a signal of some sort (email, SMS, phone call, whatever) when the temperature reached a certain point wouldn't be terribly difficult. Getting the phone to pick up the ambient temperature of the room would be the harder part. I don't think the phone is designed to do that or has that kind of sensor in it.

Upvote 0
Is the temperature sensor on these phones just measuring the CPU temp or perhaps the battery? Like I said, I know very little about this stuff, only got my first Android phone 2 weeks ago.

It can monitor CPU temp and it can monitor battery temp (at least on some phones). I don't know of any that monitor ambient temp. I know you can purchase sensors that monitor ambient temp, plug into a computer and can generate email and/or text alerts if the temperature reaches a certain point. I would look at something like that as a better solution.

Upvote 0
It might be possible to wire a thermostat to a 3.5mm plug, set the thermostat so that it closes (or opens) the circuit at the "alert" temperature to trick the phone into thinking that a headset has just been plugged in, and use something like Tasker to send an SMS on "headset plugged".

I don't know anything about how the phone detects the headset though, so this may not even be possible.

If that's not possible, you could wire the thermostat into a charger so that power to the phone is cut when the alert temperature is reached, and have Tasker react to that. Of course, it would also trip during a power failure.

Upvote 0
I found one of the services but it is $500+ and requires monthly subscription. I'm looking for the same idea. I take my dogs with me everywhere and during the summer I leave my a/c on for them in the car if I need to run in to the store or get a quick bite to eat. I'm so afraid that my car will turn off or a/c quits working...has anyone figured out an android app to get a temperature reading in a car or I guess anywhere? I purchased a wireless thermometer, but as soon as you enter a building, you lose signal. With so many apps and dog lovers like myself, there has to be something out there that is reasonable. Can anyone help?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones