• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I5700 Galaxy Spica/lite officially gets Android 2.1

I've just called Samsung who said that they definitely do not know when the update will be available. It is a known issue with NPS and Head Office are working as hard as possible to get it resolved but there is no estimated fix date yet!

I suggest everyone keeps calling them each day until they eventually realise that it is a wanted update and its no good saying its available when it actually isn't, and to encourage them to pull thier fingers out.

If you're interested (and you're in the UK) the number is 08456 SAMSUNG (08456 7267864). For those outside the UK you might be able to Google the number to get a version that works outside the UK or use something like saynoto0870.com

Upvote 0
I doubt very much that hassling some poor guy/girl on the support desk in the UK is going to influence the decisions made by a huge Korean electronics manufacturer...

I would think the best thing to do is get used to 1.5 and see what happens in the next few months, or upgrade now using Odin (and accept the risks).

Upvote 0
Any one know the technical reasons why NPS is needed to update. The recent droid 2.1 updates are available manually if you wish - you have to download the official update image (and I presume this is the first sticking point - is a real offical firmware avaliable - are the samsung firmwares the final builds?) - transfer to the SD card and go through the recovery process to update.

http://androidforums.com/motorola-d...l-android-2-1-update-motrola-droid-ese81.html

The odin process seems a 'bit' more risky and I'm not convinced the firmwares are the final official ones? I suppose someone may argue that the unofficial builds kicking around that are based on 2.1 and have been optimised to be quicker etc are better anyway?

Cheers

Upvote 0
I doubt very much that hassling some poor guy/girl on the support desk in the UK is going to influence the decisions made by a huge Korean electronics manufacturer...

I would think the best thing to do is get used to 1.5 and see what happens in the next few months, or upgrade now using Odin (and accept the risks).

I don't really want to hassle the people that work at that call centre as to why it is not available, but the more that ring and ask where it is/when are we getting it/I'd like to complain that you said it was out already when actually it isn't and I'm sure they will get passed up the chain until eventually the Korean overlords take notice and do something to keep the people that keep them in business happy.

Upvote 0
found this on the german android site googlr translate

I, the Austrians had the 2.1 Android update got installed as follows:

Installation (latest version downloaded) by New PC Studio.
As a language and as a country I have always' Germany elected "!
Sim and SD card removed from the phone! (Without this step, it does not work!)
Then Spica to USB port. Installation of the (modem) driver from the supplied CD.
On Samsung i5700 Galaxy checked under Settings / Applications / Development (development) the debug mode.
In Settings / Information "only as a mass storage ..." Tick away.
Important: Start the New PC Studio application on Vista as "Administrator"!
(Otherwise the fix is in "unpacking the binary information depends"!)

Now begins the game of chance: If I did not recognize the NPS software mobile phones. Staked out, plugged in new, then once the debug mode, then back on, "Find newly clicked, after about 20 attempts, NPS is gracious and takes the phone as" I5700 "in the menu.

So, now to flash: update update / device selected. NPS now connects to the server. This works but sometimes not. Just try again until it works! If NPS downloading the update and have unpacked the binary information, but reports an error and the emergency recovery mode suggests -> do not panic, get out of the battery device. Battery clean up (even if the device NPS proposes to connect to the PC turned off - what a strange proposal, for off NPS recognizes the phone at all times) that connect via USB and click on the menu Update "disaster recovery".

NPS now reveals that one should "press the soft volume" + "Camera Shutter" + "off / power button" simultaneously and if the cell phone on the screen, something with "Download" indicating to continue the process of "disaster recovery". If we do that, then load NPS the new Android 2.1 on the phone and we have completed the update successfully to 2.1!

Very confusing and nutzerunfreundlich. Just Samsung.
The phone is indeed quite decent.

so it looks like the update is out

Upvote 0
found this on the german android site googlr translate

I, the Austrians had the 2.1 Android update got installed as follows:

Installation (latest version downloaded) by New PC Studio.
As a language and as a country I have always' Germany elected "!
Sim and SD card removed from the phone! (Without this step, it does not work!)
Then Spica to USB port. Installation of the (modem) driver from the supplied CD.
On Samsung i5700 Galaxy checked under Settings / Applications / Development (development) the debug mode.
In Settings / Information "only as a mass storage ..." Tick away.
Important: Start the New PC Studio application on Vista as "Administrator"!
(Otherwise the fix is in "unpacking the binary information depends"!)

Now begins the game of chance: If I did not recognize the NPS software mobile phones. Staked out, plugged in new, then once the debug mode, then back on, "Find newly clicked, after about 20 attempts, NPS is gracious and takes the phone as" I5700 "in the menu.

So, now to flash: update update / device selected. NPS now connects to the server. This works but sometimes not. Just try again until it works! If NPS downloading the update and have unpacked the binary information, but reports an error and the emergency recovery mode suggests -> do not panic, get out of the battery device. Battery clean up (even if the device NPS proposes to connect to the PC turned off - what a strange proposal, for off NPS recognizes the phone at all times) that connect via USB and click on the menu Update "disaster recovery".

NPS now reveals that one should "press the soft volume" + "Camera Shutter" + "off / power button" simultaneously and if the cell phone on the screen, something with "Download" indicating to continue the process of "disaster recovery". If we do that, then load NPS the new Android 2.1 on the phone and we have completed the update successfully to 2.1!

Very confusing and nutzerunfreundlich. Just Samsung.
The phone is indeed quite decent.

so it looks like the update is out

Somehow the lack of proper English made this unreliable :)
Atleast for me that is.

Unless somebody here can confirm it ofcourse.

Upvote 0
I asked the guy over on the Android Market Place forum who had issues with the market place after his i5700 official 2.1 upgrade (he lives in Germany), what the update process was; here's his response:

"Upgrade:

Via New PC Studio V1.4 because V1.3 did not recognize the phone at all. I had to enable the USB debug mode in order to make the phone show up in the NPS. Otherwise, only the SD Card shows up as a storage device. When NPS recognizes the phone, you can use the update button (somewhere on the bottom of the NPS interface as far as I remember). The NPS contacts a server and pulls the update. *Sometimes it did not show the update, so maybe you have to try 2-3 times.* The update process is divided into several steps. First it downloads the firmware. After that, it promts you to have the phone connected with good battery power. NPC then reboots the phone and tries to push the firmware on it. Problem for me at this point was that it just hung up when trying to push the firmware - it was just showing the Samsung splash screen and that's it. The NPC recognized that something is wrong and suggested a recovery action. The recovery procedure has its own wizard in NPC. That involves booting the phone into recovery mode by holding one volume button and some other buttons (forgot the exact combination). Then NPC pushes the *new* firmware on the phone (yes that means recovery = recover to latest firmware from servers). So that's how I finally got 2.1 on my phone. The phone rebooted and everything was fine. I had the feeling that the whole NPC update software was not very robust. I needed a lot of patience until it worked out. Sometimes it was unable to download the firmware, sometimes there seemed to be no update. Then it hung up 3 times during the pushing. Then I needed 2 attempts to recover the phone. You should really disable all background programs, virus scanners etc.

The facts:

Firmware-Version:
2.1-update1

Baseband:
i570EXXJC1

Kernel-Version:
root@SE-S611 #2

Build Number:
ECLAIR.XXJCB"

Obviously sounds like the Samsung firmware is ready and waiting, just seems the actual process to do it is not fit for purpose and prone to problems. You can understand them not rolling this out until it works properly as it would otherwise cause a support nightmare. You have to wonder why they announced to the world that the i5700 update was available before making sure it could actually happen!

Many thanks to robuzzed - Samsung i5700 Galaxy Spica: After official 2.1. update *NO* copy protected apps in market - Android Market Help

Cheers

Upvote 0
I asked the guy over on the Android Market Place forum who had issues with the market place after his i5700 official 2.1 upgrade (he lives in Germany), what the update process was; here's his response:

"Upgrade:

Via New PC Studio V1.4 because V1.3 did not recognize the phone at all. I had to enable the USB debug mode in order to make the phone show up in the NPS. Otherwise, only the SD Card shows up as a storage device. When NPS recognizes the phone, you can use the update button (somewhere on the bottom of the NPS interface as far as I remember). The NPS contacts a server and pulls the update. *Sometimes it did not show the update, so maybe you have to try 2-3 times.* The update process is divided into several steps. First it downloads the firmware. After that, it promts you to have the phone connected with good battery power. NPC then reboots the phone and tries to push the firmware on it. Problem for me at this point was that it just hung up when trying to push the firmware - it was just showing the Samsung splash screen and that's it. The NPC recognized that something is wrong and suggested a recovery action. The recovery procedure has its own wizard in NPC. That involves booting the phone into recovery mode by holding one volume button and some other buttons (forgot the exact combination). Then NPC pushes the *new* firmware on the phone (yes that means recovery = recover to latest firmware from servers). So that's how I finally got 2.1 on my phone. The phone rebooted and everything was fine. I had the feeling that the whole NPC update software was not very robust. I needed a lot of patience until it worked out. Sometimes it was unable to download the firmware, sometimes there seemed to be no update. Then it hung up 3 times during the pushing. Then I needed 2 attempts to recover the phone. You should really disable all background programs, virus scanners etc.

The facts:

Firmware-Version:
2.1-update1

Baseband:
i570EXXJC1

Kernel-Version:
root@SE-S611 #2

Build Number:
ECLAIR.XXJCB"

Obviously sounds like the Samsung firmware is ready and waiting, just seems the actual process to do it is not fit for purpose and prone to problems. You can understand them not rolling this out until it works properly as it would otherwise cause a support nightmare. You have to wonder why they announced to the world that the i5700 update was available before making sure it could actually happen!

Many thanks to robuzzed - Samsung i5700 Galaxy Spica: After official 2.1. update *NO* copy protected apps in market - Android Market Help

Cheers

interesting... firmaware i570EXXJC1 is available from WWW.SAMSUNG-FIRMWARES.COM for a while and is quite old - it is dated a middle of March.
how do you think it is an 'official' one?
is it possible that on samsung-firmwares they have the ORIGINAL not EXPERIMENTAL f/ws?

Upvote 0
I was able to find it here http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/SW/201002/20100210183453156/New_PC_Studio_1.4.0.IL2.exe

This was by choosing upgrade FAQ and galaxy somewhere on the samsung site..

Still no updates for me tho :/

I tried following and it didnt work however using the link above by mrprofx my NPC was finally able to recognize my i5700 and by continually trying to update the phone I found that sometimes I was faced with an error message stating that my phone was not supported and others saying the update has not been found very strange....

**Update - I also tried this process with & without simcard + sd card and no change.**

Upvote 0
I tried following and it didnt work however using the link above by mrprofx my NPC was finally able to recognize my i5700 and by continually trying to update the phone I found that sometimes I was faced with an error message stating that my phone was not supported and others saying the update has not been found very strange....

exactly the same here. once no sever available and once device is not supported :D LOL

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones