• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I897UCJH3 Firmware (NEW)

Well, it finally worked and I got it flashed. GPS doesn't work at all now, even worse than before, it can't even see any satellites, much less lock on to them.
This is a step back.
Also, in a thread about "lag" I mentioned that I didn't experience it with either stock nor JH2 firmware, with this firmware, I know exactly what everyone was complaining about. The lag is very obvious.
On a positive note, my problem with market downloads taking a few minutes to start is gone. Downloads start right away again.

Keep working Samsung.

Upvote 0
I flashed the ROM tonight..

For me, I am now getting a GPS lock indoors - If you've seen my posts before, I posted about NOT being able to get any lock indoors - Here are my settings:

Turn on "use wireless networks"

Dial: *#*#1472365#*#*

Application Settings
Session Type: Tracking
Test Mode: S/W Test
Operation Mode: MS Based
Start Mode: Hot Start
GPS Plus: ON
Dynamic Accuracy: ON
Accuracy: 100
Use Skyhook: ON
Use PC Tool: OFF

SUPL/CP Settings
Server FQDN Type: AUTO Config
SUPL Secure Socket: ON
AGPS Mode: SUPL

Reboot.

Upvote 0

For me, I am now getting a GPS lock indoors - If you've seen my posts before, I posted about NOT being able to get any lock indoors - Here are my settings:

Application Settings

SUPL/CP Settings

Reboot.

So you are essentially using cellular towers to help triangulate your position. How accurate is your lock with this newer firmware?

Upvote 0

Application Settings

SUPL/CP Settings

Reboot.

Don't use wireless networks, if you want GPS to truly work. I flashed to this firmware and ran GPS Test app and it can't even see any satellites now. It's worse than before.

Upvote 0
In my office using GPS Status, I see 4 satellites with and without "Use wireless networks" on..

I have to be near a window to get a lock in my office - I get a lock indoors at my house (obviously the construction is different at the two places)

My lock time outside is under 10 seconds. Accuracy is usually 50m and less, most of the time 5 - 15m

I still believe Samsung will release an even better fix with the update next month - I don't think we should have to change any settings in the LBS menu..

Upvote 0
I flashed jh3 last night, installed super rooter, and then I installed the circle battery. (just so everyone knows what's on the device)

I work in a building that is a fortress apparently. When I tested the EVO with Sprint the phone could not get service in my office. My old iPhone couldn't get me with a lock. With both JH2 and JH3 the phone is unable to find me, unless I have use wifi on and it has a blue circle a mile in diameter.

However, with JH3 today as I was walking toward the exit door and observing my phone it auto locked when I was about 10 feet from the glass door. I had thought I would need to stand outside for a few seconds (I would have to do that with the JH2). I pulled up gps test and observed it find 10 sats and lock on 6 in under 10 seconds. JH2 was not quite this good.

However, doing a drive test, JH3 did not fair quite as well.

JH2: Home To Sonic To Tanning - Google Maps (I remembered to start while I was getting on the highway. The loops at the top of the map are me driving circles and parking at a fast food restaurant a few times just for kicks.) And no I wasn't tanning, I had to take my wife. :D

JH3: JH3 - Google Maps (Leaving work, driving in some residential areas, and then coming back to work.)

While I know Jh3 is not as long as JH2, I will have to say the JH2 faired better in tracking me from this initial test. JH2 updated my position on maps more accurately and did not have the choppines I observed with JH3 either.

It worries me a little bit, but then I remember who are we to know if JH3 is actually suppose to be better? For all we know, JH3 could have been developed to specifically isolate an issue for them to analyze. So keep that in mind.

I'll do some more tests over the course of the day.

Oh yeah, this is all with the google ssl and wifi on to use location. I use the wifi because in the real world I would keep it on. I use google because I'm lazy and that's what titanium backup has stored for my gps settings and it auto updates that for me when I run that program after flashing.

Reactions: WalMarx and Galroc
Upvote 0
By the way, quadrant score with this firmware I got was 893.
In case if anyone cares :)

That's not too good. I got so sick of the lag I did a lagfix when I flashed this new firmware. Just ran and got a 1751. Real world is just as amazing too. No more waiting for freezes and stuff. I highly recommend you apply one of the fixes. JH2 fixes will work for JH3

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones