• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ICS notification bar brightness question

foo

Android Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2008
Chicago, IL
I just updated my wife's maxx to ICS. All went great except her notifications are quite dim. Has anyone else noticed this? The indicators in the top right are max brightness but all notification icons are barely visible. I know on my galaxy nexus rom there is a tweak for ICS that makes all notifications max brightness. I'd be surprised to hear that there isn't this option in stock ICS update for motorola's ics.

Anyone know how to change it with a non root option?

So this was the first thing I noticed as well with ICS. I dug around, and in emailing a developer, I found that with ICS, some idiot that works at Google decided that minimizing the notification icons and dimming them 40% is the new rule so as not to distract the user from the main screen. Really!?!? That is the dumbest idea I have ever heard of. They are useless now, especially in sunlight. That genius must live/work/survive in a cave and therefore isn't affected by the new change.:mad:

But I digress...there is a way to make them full brightness, just not something we can do as end users. Developers have to put it in their code. I found a battery icon app (Battery Circle) that was at full brightness. It was still too small for my liking, and I really missed Battery Monitor by Sim2k. BM's developer and I exchanged lots of emails and eventually, he updated his app to show at full brightness and in 4 different color choices!!! I don't know squat about coding, but there is a way to get around Google's rule. Obviously, it's not a widely known workaround.

Upvote 0
I really missed Battery Monitor by Sim2k. BM's developer and I exchanged lots of emails and eventually, he updated his app to show at full brightness and in 4 different color choices!!! I don't know squat about coding, but there is a way to get around Google's rule. Obviously, it's not a widely known workaround.

Works great and is bright! Thanks for the tip!

Upvote 0
go into WB > menu button & select Preferences...scroll all the way to the bottom 2 options "status bar text color" & "notification text color"

Well I don't feel so stupid for not being able to find the setting, because I'm even stupidier than I thought. I thought I had WB, but I actually had The Weather Channel which doesn't have a setting to change the color of the notification. So, go ahead and laugh at me. I am.

Thanks. I like WBs app layout with lots of good info. The WB notification font is still too small to be able for me to read it, but it does show up slightly better than TWC's font which I can't read either. At least with WB you can turn off the notification setting. Why have it if you can't read it? With TWC I see no way to turn it off. I've already proven that it might just be me that can find something.

Upvote 0
I switched from Weatherbug (have used this app for forever) to Accuweather. Font is bigger than WB. Then, the I turned off automatic brightness on the phone and cranked it up to 98%. Not sure what effect this will have on battery life, but I can now see the temperature much much better. Hopefully ICS bug fix will address this issue we all seem to be having.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones