• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help iDont display embedded images in gmail?

Well first its not a Droid problem for those who keep blaming the phone
it is the way the person sends it to you, (usually as a forward)

You sir, don't get it. If it won't come up on the gmail app on the phone, but does come up on the computer in Gmail, it's not about the way someone sent it. The phone app isn't handling imbedded images correctly.

I love my phone and I'm sure that this will get fixed.

Upvote 0
I found this twice on the google list of bugs.. it doesnt have that many votes though... if yu have ever seen this issue you should go here and mark it with a star.

Issue 2507 - android - Gmail doesn't display images - Project Hosting on Google Code
Issue 1180 - android - Email app does not display inline images - Project Hosting on Google Code

I would also recommend that you post a comment asking them to combine the issues as that will combine the stars and get it listed further up the list

As others stated.
1. pictures attached to the email work fine
2. html links inside the message pointing to pictures on webservers work fine(this is how most of the tiger directs, bed baths and beyonds of the world send their ads)
3. images that are imbeded in the middle of the message dont work.

the last one is an issue for my father, all his pervert buddies foward around emails with embedded pictures, mostly jokes etc but my father would like to view them on teh phone so he can clean his email box out from the phone.

Upvote 0
If you setup your gmail account within the Email app, NOT the GMAIL app, the pictures that are embedded in the email will show up. I have tested this so far with 5 different emails and all the pictures showed up, after clicking the show pictures button within the app.

I know this isn't a permanent fix, but for those of us who need this, this can be a temporary fix until the 12/11 update.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
There is not good workaround yet. But here's a curious thing. If you view the email in the Droid's web browser and preview the image, then, when you view the message in Gmail's app, the message shows the picture. It's the most curious behavior I've ever seen. For some reason, Gmail app just isn't downloading the image to our SD cards. Maybe it's a rights issue.

Upvote 0
The people who are not having problems are not getting what the issue is here. I have the same problem on my Eris.

The email that has a "show pictures" or "download pictures" options: either the mail was sent as attachments or the pictures are hosted on a server and Gmail gives you these options.

What is being talked about here are embedded images, i.e. those images that are directly inserted in an html message. Messages from Outlook have this capability as well as certain other programs such as Photoshop Elements.

This may be a bug or a security feature. Spammers use embedded images to report back to a server that the address is good. However, if this was the case, why does the full version of Gmail on the PC allow embedded images to be show.

Also the BB email client displays embedded images properly.

Exactly. My wife and I received the same email from her dad, and she wanted to compare the picture quality between her iPhone and my Droid, and the pictures didn't even display on my phone. It is really annoying

Upvote 0
I found this twice on the google list of bugs.. it doesnt have that many votes though... if yu have ever seen this issue you should go here and mark it with a star.

Issue 2507 - android - Gmail doesn't display images - Project Hosting on Google Code
Issue 1180 - android - Email app does not display inline images - Project Hosting on Google Code

I would also recommend that you post a comment asking them to combine the issues as that will combine the stars and get it listed further up the list

Everyone PLEASE go click the star on Issue 2507 so that Google will pay attention to it. If we can get enough votes for it, they'll assign it to a programmer to troubleshoot. Technically they're two separate issues; some folks are having this problem in the Gmail app (issue 2507), some having it in the Mail app (issue 1180), and some--including personalt, I assume--are having BOTH.

Upvote 0
I just added a star to both issues. It's interesting to see how some people dont understand the problem; and, think its normal to press "Show Pictures" or "Show HTML" (for non-gmail accounts) every single time you get an email from anyone.

I am pretty sure the only reason why some images are displayed is because the embedded images point to a SSL'ed URL: ie, https://bofa.com/bofa.logo.jpg. Since almost no email clients embeds pictures using a signed certificate, we will just get emails from with blue boxes with a question mark until you manually press the show pictures button.

I even tried K9; which is supposed to be better than the builtin email app; but, thats just as bad.

I guess the engineers who develop these apps are used to using crummy text based linux email clients.

If anyone knows of an email app for android that actually shows emails correctly by default please let us know!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones