• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

If not the G1, what about the zzzPhone?

i dont mean to say your wrong, but you are. this is how business happens in china. in many, if not all cases, factories like this compete for dell, sanyo, rimm to win their business. you guys are just witnessing it because you stumbled upon a website for a product your now inteterested. big companies to supervise, hogwartz, the big companies buy by the container after the factory takes the risk of r and d. the big guy might do the final steps. sorry to inform you this info if you dont like it.

The difference between this zzzPhone guy and Dell, Sanyo, and Rim is HUGE. You seem to still be thinking we don't trust the phone.

We don't trust THE GUY.

Upvote 0
The difference between this zzzPhone guy and Dell, Sanyo, and Rim is HUGE. You seem to still be thinking we don't trust the phone.

We don't trust THE GUY.
Sorry but its not different, Dell, Sanyo and Rimm acquire new mfgt products from other factories on a daily basis, the only difference is that we stumbled upon a product we are currently interested and talking about. I really don't care about this product but don't be surprised when someone picks it up and puts their logo on it ... probably was the same situation with the phone you just bought. You think dell makes computers, no, they make a brandname. That little custom built by dell .... purely fluff.

Upvote 0
Sorry but its not different, Dell, Sanyo and Rimm acquire new mfgt products from other factories on a daily basis, the only difference is that we stumbled upon a product we are currently interested and talking about. I really don't care about this product but don't be surprised when someone picks it up and puts their logo on it ... probably was the same situation with the phone you just bought. You think dell makes computers, no, they make a brandname. That little custom built by dell .... purely fluff.

Again, I'm talking about THE GUY. NOT THE PHONE. THE GUY.

THE GUY.

The phone probably is great and I'd be happy to buy it FROM DELL, not from THE ZZZPHONE GUY.

Once again, talking about THE GUY, not THE PHONE.

Comprende?

Upvote 0

THE GUY.

The phone probably is great and I'd be happy to buy it FROM DELL, not from THE ZZZPHONE GUY.

Comprende?

Yes! How many times in how many ways does it have to be said!

The phone and the people who make the phone are probably fine. And yes we understand that MOST of what we think as innovative and reliable products are made in asia, hell my mac book pro, a wonderful pice of hardware was designed by Apple of California, and built in Taiwan.

The fact is this site has all the same quality look and feel of a gas station laser pointer. Which makes the guy whose selling these phones look like he has the same business sense as a gas station manager.

I don't trust my money DIRECTLY with the manufactures in china, i trust my money to Dell, Apple, and other name brands. Who have teams of people to design, and communicate with the manufacturing processes. They also back up their sales, and absorb the risk.

If the website had a professional look i would definatly change my tone. However the site as it is... you may as well try and sell me this phone out of the back of a van.

Upvote 0
THE GUY.

Comprende?
If you haven't figured it out "the guy" is raising red flags for distributors, not single sales. Single sells he'll take ... but he's looking for the big win. This is how it's done every day there .... every single day.

I would be just about any amount of cash this is legit ... seen this hundreds upon hundreds of times, he's doing what all the factories in China are doing. PM if your interested. Have PayPal and would be happy to put the money in escrow.

http://www.unifiedtelcom.com/ - Here is one of the distributors ... and when ZZZ wins a contract with Nokia, Motorola, HTC .... these other distributors will be cutoff. It's a game that all electronic factories have been playing in Asia for a very long time.

And if you don't want to buy it ... don't .... they won't care ... they don't care. They want HTC ... not Joe Shmoe. As you can tell it's not that easy to purchase a phone from that website.

But what I do find funny is when someone says they would buy a product from a website that would look more legit! Ha! Again this is the mentality that voting for Obama ... they think he's legit because how he speaks on the outside. Tell ya what ... I'll slap a really cool website together and start selling rocks from my backyard paint them and call them gold nuggets ... but hey the website will be nice and flashy!

Upvote 0
you're right, gewgluvr you've opened my eyes. I'll buy one of these sketchy looking phones and I'll even change my vote for president.

Eveyone should do the same! McCain '08 and questionable phones for everyone!
Not trying to convince you to buy anything, just letting you know how it works over there as I import about 40 containers of toys a year into the USA.

Dollars to donuts that HTC phone you have in your hand was plucked from a factory ... that's how technology companies make profits in a tight market. They buy what you think looks shady ... put a label on it and call it their own.

Surprise!

Upvote 0
Gents, this is my first post, but I have dealt with vendors like this in China.
The ad shows the phone you want, but nevr really spells out what product your going to get.
This is one of the more deceitful vendors, stay away from them.
Go to Wal-Mart instead, you will have terrible trouble getting any kind of warranty from this guy. Trust me, I know, I have 4 phones stuck in limbo in China now, the vendor has disappeared, so now I have to figure out who will fix them.

Upvote 0
Not trying to convince you to buy anything, just letting you know how it works over there as I import about 40 containers of toys a year into the USA.

Dollars to donuts that HTC phone you have in your hand was plucked from a factory ... that's how technology companies make profits in a tight market. They buy what you think looks shady ... put a label on it and call it their own.

Surprise!

Again fixating on the phone. Get it straight.

THE PHONE isnt whats shady. Its THE GUY that's shady, FFS.

I 100% realize the phone is probably fine.

I WILL NOT buy so much as a soda from such a sketchy site. For god's sake it doesnt even have a pic of the phone that isnt obviously photoshopped.

One last time, its the SITE, NOT the phone. Are you dense or something?

Upvote 0
Gents, this is my first post, but I have dealt with vendors like this in China.
The ad shows the phone you want, but nevr really spells out what product your going to get.
This is one of the more deceitful vendors, stay away from them.
Go to Wal-Mart instead, you will have terrible trouble getting any kind of warranty from this guy. Trust me, I know, I have 4 phones stuck in limbo in China now, the vendor has disappeared, so now I have to figure out who will fix them.

See this is the exact real life example we've been trying to show. Unless you happen to be a company dealing with manufactures like these you have very little voice or legal action you can use.

Upvote 0
Again fixating on the phone. Get it straight.

THE PHONE isnt whats shady. Its THE GUY that's shady, FFS.

I 100% realize the phone is probably fine.

I WILL NOT buy so much as a soda from such a sketchy site. For god's sake it doesnt even have a pic of the phone that isnt obviously photoshopped.

One last time, its the SITE, NOT the phone. Are you dense or something?
Yes, I'm dense, this is why I showed you a link to one of their distributors and if you Google ZZZ phone you'll find a plethera of information about other distributors, reviews, interviews etc.

But no ... I do not judge a product based on the looks and feel of a website. Only someone very silly would do something like that. I do a little due dilligence if I'm interested and get the scoop from other sources. But you say this is "the guy" ... well this guy certainly has a pretty decent network of products and distributors.

There is lots of good information on the web about ZZZ phone and can't find anything that claims to be a scam. Even an interview with an androidguys. If there was a scam ... well it would be on the web. But now unfortunatley this thread is probably going to work it's way through Google and give this company the reputation it doesn't need because you guys disprove of their website.

Sorry but I give them much more credibility than the conspiracy theorists on this website. Next time before you scream "scam" why not go find out the information for yourself before you pass judgment of capitalists trying to earn a living.

In regards to the phone, well it's not ready till Nov 30. Yes, you'll be a beta tester, but this is why they are $150 and not $450. When HTC picks them up, then they will be $450, again, that's how this game works. Risk for reward. Keyword risk. Don't want it now ... wait till someone else buys it. But for christ sake, why pass judgment?

Upvote 0
Read thru the specs on the phone. Interesting. First is not really that cheap, once you add wifi and gps the phone is 247.

Memory size not listed, only described as enough for 4 or 5 programs. Hmm. You can upgrade memory though.

Saw no mention of memory card type.

Battery option of 3800 sounded interesting.

Said is supports reading pdf and excel files-intersting. Also plays videos in a ton of listed formats, wonder what player they are using.

Concerned about how the android patches will get to it.

The concept of a customizable phone is interesting though. Would be nice.

Upvote 0
But no ... I do not judge a product based on the looks and feel of a website. Only someone very silly would do something like that. I do a little due dilligence if I'm interested and get the scoop from other sources. But you say this is "the guy" ... well this guy certainly has a pretty decent network of products and distributors.

Once again.... sigh... I'm NOT judging the PRODUCT.

If Dell sold the phone and wasn't saying "It'll be ready real soon now, so send me your money and I'll send you the phone I photoshopped (badly) a bunch of android images onto as soon as it's ready", I'd buy one. It seems very nice, but all we have to go by is what he says and what he hacked together badly in photoshop (ms paint?).

Call me crazy for not just taking the guy's word that it WILL run Android and that he WILL eventually have it.

It's like this: If I wanted a bunch of money and I didn't want to go through the trouble of actually EARNING it, one way I could get it would be to find an obscure chinese phone running a pirate copy of winMo6, photoshop the pictures to show what it would look like running the latest fad phone os, and put up a website where I swear to god I'll have them real soon now. I'd be a dolt and probably only get the money of really stupid people, but that would be one way to do it.

Since I'm a firm believer in Occam's Razor, I believe that the simplest explanation is most likely the best one. If I'm wrong, who cares? I may have missed a great phone for a great price, but I'm much more likely to have not pissed away 200 bucks on wishful thinking.

Upvote 0
its not a scam, ive done lots of mfgt in china. this is def a chinese company trying to bring a new product to the usa and trying to give themselves an american look and feel. seen sites and companies like this a thousand times. while their product may be junk, or maybe twice as good as htc ... you shouldn't start making up stories till u know what ur talking about. unless ur an obama supporter, then it's just a-typical of you.

Straight from the Palin school of grammar.

:D

Upvote 0
I did my research after this post.. and what the conclusion is.. the phone is real. Its another generic china-based knockoff. However, dont expect to see android on it. Their phones were using Symbian OS even though they advertise that it had windows mobile. Then they say stuff like it works just like windows mobile, but isn't. I bet they'll just say their OS works just like Android. Its a half-working phone that they're trying to put together really quick without any type of R&D team for quick buck. However as far as it goes, its not a scam.. just somewhat of false advertising. You still will get some type of thing that looks like a phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones