• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I'm looking for some information on using tc for throttling my bandwidth.

This is probably an uncommon request, but what I would like to do is slow down my phone's connection so that I don't use as much bandwidth. I've been up and down and all over the place and I haven't found a whole lot of information on how to go about doing this.

The closest I could find was one post that suggested using the tc command to set up traffic shaping rules if the phone has it. Mine does. I have a rooted Huawei U8652 with OS 2.3.5. I installed both Root Explorer and Terminal Emulator and I confirmed my phone has tc, and I have a very basic knowledge on running scripts.

I found a couple scripts that were made for linux that I set to my desired speeds and tried running, but I couldn't even tell if they did anything at all:

One script I tried came from:
topwebhosts.org/tools/traffic-control.php

Another I tried was Wondershaper V1.0:
lartc.org/wondershaper/

So I guess what I'd like to know is if what I'm trying to achieve is even possible using tc? If anyone can shed any light on this I would appreciate it greatly. I don't think this was the forum that I found that post with the tc suggestion, but I'm having trouble finding it again, so I can't post there. I have lurked here a bit for a lot of good Android information, so I thought I'd toss it out here and see what comes up. Thanks for your time!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones