• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Im not rooted...I dont know what froyo is...I havent been here in 2 months...

Let me take your questions in order:

1) Yes, people are running Android 2.2 there was a leak of it about 3 weeks ago and there are quite a few stable ROMs based off of it.

2) Yes, you need to be rooted.

3) As long as you follow the instructions to root your phone there are very few risks, I have not heard of anyone bricking their Droid doing it.

4) Yes you need a computer

5) Froyo is Google's codename for Android 2.2

6) The OTA update for the Droid has not been sent out, so no it is not officially out for the Droid, only a few Nexus users got an official OTA update.

7) Flash is out and can be put onto a rooted droid running a Froyo/Android 2.2 ROM. I have it on mine and it works quite well.

Upvote 0
Thank you, I'm out of town as of right now so my access to a computer is limited. Was kinda hoping I could just download something and automatically be rooted....obviously that's not the case, haha. I appreciate the answers. One more question though - is there an official release dat for 2.2 on the droid?

Upvote 0
You really shouldn't consider rooting IMO unless you're willing and able to take the time and initiative to read up on it. The info's out there and you really need to determine what works or you and what doesn't. If you're in a rush or have limited computer access then definitely hold off until you have the time and connectivity.

Upvote 0
You really shouldn't consider rooting IMO unless you're willing and able to take the time and initiative to read up on it. The info's out there and you really need to determine what works or you and what doesn't. If you're in a rush or have limited computer access then definitely hold off until you have the time and connectivity.

Not arguing with you, but one needs to consider and/or evaluate their computer skills. I've been rooted since December, and it was a LOT tougher back then. And even then, it only took me a couple of hours, if that.

I have NEVER felt that rooting was "dangerous". I've heard many people throw around the word "brick", but have yet to see anyone who actually bricked their phone. A boot loop is hardly a "brick". The bottom line: If you can get to your Recovery console (SPR or ClockworkMod), you're safe.

As for Froyo ... it has totally stepped up the Moto DROID to be the phone I've been wanting since my purchase. I absolutely love it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones