• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I'm Ready!!! But Root keeps failing.......

Mskgreenel

Android Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2010
ATL
www.youtube.com
I'm ready to root!!!! I've been snowed in for 3 days. I tried to root a few months ago and failed with unrevoked b/c of the Froyo issue which has since been fixed...
Is there a step by step guide that's updated out there. I'm getting so fustrated. I was using this Updated: Root the HTC Droid Incredible and I'm failing around this point I can't get the HBOOT Driver part correct. I fail here public:windows_hboot_driver_install [RootWiki] | Awesome Screenshot

Nothing is going right and I'm getting fustrated with myself because I'd like to master this. :mad:

I've even started from scratch deleting all of the things I've downloaded re-downloading and starting from square 1 over and over...

Is there a better guide out there that's not outdated??
Thanks In Advance

Crap, just noticed your screenshot was pulled from the posted Wiki. So you've already tried all that and still no dice? Are you saying the phone isn't ever showing up as Android 1.0 even?

Correct, and I recall when I attempted to root back in November that I didn't have this problem. Android showed up in 'other devices'

Upvote 0
That's kinda strange if you're using the same computer. Anyway, there's more than one way to get a device recognition driver but the failsafe method is to download HTC Sync. The download comes packaged with the driver (not to be confused with the hboot driver you're going to install later). The "Sync" driver may autoinstall but to be sure, go to Start > All Programs > Htc Sync on your computer once it's downloaded and along with the option to launch the software, there should be a driver there. Click on that and force the install if necessary. Then hookup and see if you get the Android 1.0

IMPORTANT NOTE: You're only installing Sync to get the driver. Once you have it and the phone is being recognized, you MUST uninstall the HTC Sync program as it may/will interfere with the rooting process, it's a known issue. Once it's unintstalled, then you can proceed with the wiki instructions to load the hboot driver and then root the device.

Upvote 0
IMPORTANT NOTE: You're only installing Sync to get the driver. Once you have it and the phone is being recognized, you MUST uninstall the HTC Sync program as it may/will interfere with the rooting process, it's a known issue. Once it's unintstalled, then you can proceed with the wiki instructions to load the hboot driver and then root the device.[/QUOTE]

^^^ I'm going to try this. I removed HTC Sync from my computer. So as soon as the device is recognized I should uninstall HTC Sync.

I'm ready to give this a go. I have nothing but time. ATL is covered in ice :mad:

Upvote 0
I'm ready to give this a go. I have nothing but time. ATL is covered in ice :mad:

I hear ya. We just got 8" of snow and it's 3 degrees and windy. Awesome.

Yeah, once it's recognized uninstall HTC Sync in add/remove programs. The driver MIGHT be in the list as a separate component. If so, leave that but uninstall the HTC Sync program itself.

Upvote 0
Hi All,

Funny thing, I was rooting for the first time last night myself and was running into issues. I downloaded the reflash, the hboot drivers and blah blah blah...it wasn't working.

I wound up installing HTC sync, then uninstalling it in order to get other drivers. Once that was done, BINGO....went without a hitch.

HOWEVER, now I am getting a read error with what I think is the Verizon bloatware crap. It says "can't read E: drive" (or something to that affect) when I plug the usb into the computer. I think it is the autorun and cdrom partition on the phone to install vcast mananger. Anyway to remove this?

Hopefully the OP made out OK because I know this thread helped me.

-noob:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
HOWEVER, now I am getting a read error with what I think is the Verizon bloatware crap. It says "can't read E: drive" (or something to that affect) when I plug the usb into the computer. I think it is the autorun and cdrom partition on the phone to install vcast mananger. Anyway to remove this?

There are several ways to get rid of it. One is:

Dial ##7764726
Hit Call
Type Password 000000
Hit Feature Settings
Choose CD ROM
Hit Disable
Hit menu, commit modifications

If you have root explorer, you can also navigate to /system/etc/CDROM.ISO and either move it to an app.disabled folder (if you use that method), delete it outright, or rename it with a .bak ending to replace the .ISO. (must be mounted r/w in root explorer)

It can also be moved with ADB but unless you're just wanting the practice, the other methods are quicker. Just in case you like a project though:

mv /system/etc/CDROM.ISO /system/app.disabled/

Upvote 0
THANKS Y'ALL!!!!! :)

2hdd3bb.jpg

Upvote 0
Me too!! now just make urself a back up and then all the fun begins with all the different roms and themes...you'll b like a kid in a candy store, I'm running gingerbread on mine 2.3.1...its vanilla without sense but its still nice i like vanilla android...but there are plenty of sense roms out for you to play with...just always make sure you have a back up that way you have sumthn to go back to thats stable...

Upvote 0
What are you installing and with what app? Don't recognize those words right off the bat.

I was trying to a Nandroid Backup. I was missing a step but got it now. I didn't flash the clock work mod recovery by using the unrevoked reflash tool.

I also re-read the instructions on Titanium Backup.
Get Titanium Backup from the market and install it like you would any other app. When you first run it you

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones