• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

IMAP and data usage question

mwilson1987

Nov 9, 2009
Hi, I hope that this is not answered elsewhere, had a search and couldn't find anything.

I have had my Hero for about a month now, on Orange with the annoying 500MB data limit. I originally had my gmail set up in the HTC mail widget using POP settings. However a few days ago I changed it to IMAP...now I'm not clued up on what exactly the difference is but I obviously noticed that now when I read emails on my Hero they come up as read in my Gmail online, and vice versa. This is great, but I then noticed in my NetCounter that I have started to use WAY more data since I started doing this.

Just wondering if it is normal for IMAP to use way more data than POP settings? Is it best just to stick with POP instead? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Have you tried using the GMail app to check your gmail?

POP uses less data usage as once you have downloaded the emails they are then on your phone, you don't need to re-download them to read them again.

With IMAP, you basically grab the emails from the server each time you access it, so it uses more data usage as you are downloading the emails more often.

I would try the gmail app, as it is imap, and it may use a cache to lower data usage, but that's just speculation on my apart ;)

(If any information is wrong please feel free to correct!)

Upvote 0
I updated my post, and you guys posted in the meantime so check it again (sorry)

Have you tried using the GMail app to check your gmail?

POP uses less data usage as once you have downloaded the emails they are then on your phone, you don't need to re-download them to read them again.

With IMAP, you basically grab the emails from the server each time you access it, so it uses more data usage as you are downloading the emails more often.

I would try the gmail app, as it is imap, and it may use a cache to lower data usage, but that's just speculation on my apart ;)

(If any information is wrong please feel free to correct!)

Upvote 0
Thanks lekky, I'll give the gmail app a go.

Quick question about the gmail app as I've just been having a look at it. When I go into settings and then labels, it says that my 'number of days to sync' is 4 - I thought this would mean that I would have the last 4 days emails displayed in my phone, but i have messages in there going back about 2 weeks, and even more if I keep scrolling down!

Thanks for your help

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones