• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help IMAP settings on the GS4 (i337 stock ROM)

speedlever

Android Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2012
North Carolina
I have no problem setting up IMAP on my GS4 for receiving email. But I can't get the outgoing settings to work for my work email using the stock email app.

Of course work uses MS Exchange... and I absolutely hate giving control of my phone to device administrator. The control restrictions are simply draconian in my view. So I'm trying to bypass MSE by using IMAP.

I can receive email just fine, so my incoming settings are fine. But I cannot find the right combo of settings to make my outgoing email work. I've tried multiple ports, no joy. Different to no security... no joy. My SMTP server starts with mail.xxx.org. I copied the settings of a colleague with an iPhone (and their phone sends and receives email fine), but no joy.

When my GS4 checks the outgoing server settings, I get an alert that says unable to connect to email server to verify my account... no response from server. Or I get a response saying it can't safely connect to the server.

Anyone have any tips for making my outgoing server connections work properly? The only non-stock part of my GS4 is using Nova Prime launcher.

I am stumped at the moment.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones