• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Import contact list from previous phone

arielola

Mar 22, 2013
When I imported my previous contacts on my Galaxy S2, they basically spread the numbers out from every single contact.

For example...
My old phone stores as 1 contact: Mary (Home#, Mobile#, Work#)
Galaxy S2 stores as 3 separate contacts: Mary Home#, Mary Mobile#, Mary Work #

I would like to hear suggestions, because going over all thousands of contacts and group them together again will be way too time-consuming.:thinking:

Did you use a CSV file last time you imported your contacts?

Here's what I do. Make sure all your contacts are setup as Google contact and not phone. Then go into settings > Accounts and be sure Sync contacts is checked under Google. Then all your contacts will get backed up in Google. Then, you can go to a PC and log into your GMail account and setup your contacts however you want them on your phone. Then, when you log into your new phone your contacts will show up exactly like you set them up on the PC.

Or, if you use a CSV file, import then into your GMail using a PC. Edit them however you like then sync your phone contacts and they will appear on your phone like you set them up.

Reactions: arielola
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones