• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help In a poor-reception area, killing battery life - any way to disable 3G?

MFFNike

Jan 6, 2010
TX
So, I am currently on a new client where it's constantly on 1X and occasionally switches back to 3G with 0 bars, then back to 1X.

I got in to work at 8:30 am and by 5:00 the battery was at 30%. Battery Manager shows Cell Standby as 21% of the battery usage. I had about a 15 minute call this morning (presumably on 1X, I didn't check) and have not used the Internet at all for the rest of the day.

This is obviously unacceptable. On my Droid Eris, there was a way to turn off the Mobile Network and use only 2G/1X for calls. I have researched and not found a similar option for the Droid X (Why would Motorola leave this out?)

Does anyone know what my options are? I've heard you can go into the #*#*INFO*#*# menu and set it to 2G only, then restart, but that would be a pain to do every morning.

Thanks,
MFFNike

Wow, what a receptive and helpful Droid community. I suppose I'm off to droidforums.net, or at least somewhere where legitimate problems won't be ignored. :thinking:
Fact is this section of the forum doesn't get enough traffic. I post support questions in the main DX forum. They get more traffic until they are moved here. I'm also curious about this as I never use my phone for calls and 1x is fast enough for what I do. I'd rather save battery since I'm away from charger for 12+ hours a day.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones