• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps [In Need of Feedback] RPG Engine

Hey folks! Tetiro here.

Woohoo! The Legena Engine is now in a state it can be revealed. It's not pretty but it provides the feel of the gameplay mechanics for the Legena trilogy! The engine is a turn based RPG like Final Fantasy, Rain-Slick and many others!

But I want to polish it. Smooth out the rough parts and ensure it is the best it can be. That's why I've made this topic. I hope to get plenty of feedback both praise and criticism to improve the project. The engine is built in Game Maker as Game Maker ports to Android and the devices related to Android very easily. Though I have ensured that the programming could be replicated in other languages too. I needed a challenge :p

I was hoping to provide you with a .apk version so you can try it out on the smartphones and tablets. And if anyone could manage it, the OUYA too! But my tablet died and I need to go get it fixed. So that will be an ASAP. But I before it died I had it working on my tablet perfectly :)

Now I don't need to say it's not finished. But just in case. It's not finished!

Without further ado, here is the link. And before you do, be sure to watch the youtube videos!

The controls are provided while the game is loading. And a few more notes before you get started

• One NPC disappears when you talk to her. This was intentional for testing purposes
  • If you go to the top left of the room you are starting in, you can trigger the cutscene feature
  • The battle screens are only colours. This is because each game has difference backgrounds/enemies/etc
  • PC Versions of the engine don't like the music. It will stutter during looping. This is a Game Maker issue but I will be producing a PC-only version of the music engine to get around this.

Have fun testing the engine! I hope for plenty of feedback! I will update it throughout the next 3 weeks. After that, I close the feedback as I want to ensure we have enough time to build a demo for the Game Event we're exhibiting at!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones