• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

in what situations do the on-screen navigation buttons get hidden?

Megaroad

Lurker
Oct 18, 2012
I was playing with the Razr HD and the Razr Maxx HD in the Verizon store today, and I was kind of surprised that the on-screen navigation buttons (home/back/menu) stay on the screen during most activities with the phone, such as web browsing. I was watching a video review of the phone this evening, and it looked as if those on-screen buttons stay there even when playing a game (the person in the review was playing Modern Combat 3). That seems to effectively make the screen significantly smaller than some of the competitors, even though the phone itself is about the same size.

Under what circumstances do these buttons get hidden? Because it seems as if, in most situations, it's not really a 4.7" screen.

I'm quite interested in this phone, and I think it has some really nice advantages, like the battery and the build quality, but this seems like a drawback.

Buttons stay on screen for most apps. They get hidden for most video applications including Netflix and YouTube. In some cases, such as Kindle, they bar stays on screen but the buttons turn into dim dots so they aren't distracting but you still don't get the full screen. Haven't had a chance to try out games yet.

Upvote 0
I just picked up a Maxx HD coming from the Galaxy Nexus, so I've been used to the on-screen keys for a while now.

I really have grown to prefer them.

Eventually, you will be able to make the navbar less tall/thick. It's an easy mod on the galaxy nexus and I'm sure it'll be easy on this too. So, once you shrink it down to 40 pixels high (my preference with the nexus) compared to the 96 pixels its at right now you'll feel much better.

Plus, it does go away for video. Also, on many ROMs for the nexus there is the option to toggle the whole navbar on and off from the power menu. I'd imagine you'll eventually see that feature too. Lastly, you're able to change the buttons since they're software! Change their order, maybe add search, search instead of recents, change color to match your overall color scheme, change the icons to something cool, etc, etc. Trust me, you'll come to like the software navbar!

Upvote 0
I just picked up a Maxx HD coming from the Galaxy Nexus, so I've been used to the on-screen keys for a while now.

I really have grown to prefer them.

Eventually, you will be able to make the navbar less tall/thick. It's an easy mod on the galaxy nexus and I'm sure it'll be easy on this too. So, once you shrink it down to 40 pixels high (my preference with the nexus) compared to the 96 pixels its at right now you'll feel much better.

Plus, it does go away for video. Also, on many ROMs for the nexus there is the option to toggle the whole navbar on and off from the power menu. I'd imagine you'll eventually see that feature too. Lastly, you're able to change the buttons since they're software! Change their order, maybe add search, search instead of recents, change color to match your overall color scheme, change the icons to something cool, etc, etc. Trust me, you'll come to like the software navbar!

When you mod the phone to turn the navbar off, how do you navigate?

Upvote 0
There is an app called LMT that puts the nav buttons in a side-sliding pop-out just like the quick controls in the stock browser. Or you can just toggle them back on. I know some used LMT all the time. Point is, with the software keys you have lots more options.

Hmm this is interesting. I like this phone so I'm kinda looking for a justification for choosing it. I'm not too familiar with rooting and ROMS and stuff. So basically I'd be installing a modded version of the OS?

Upvote 0
Future hacking abilitiy to mod the keys or not, the onboard keys are probably the main reason I will get either the SIII or the Note 2 (when it comes to Verizon). I have yet to play with a Maxx HD in hand, but my daughter and wife both have the SIII and that is one very nice phone. And I have found the screen on the SIII to be significantly better than on my RAZR, although I have not gotten a chance to compare to the Maxx HD. Overall, I've waited until the Maxx HD and hopefully Note 2 are available to use my upgrade. Seeing how good the SIII is I'm leaning towards one of the Sammy's, although I do believe the build quality of the Maxx HD will likely be a bit better.

Upvote 0
It's kinda surprising this isn't a bigger deal in reviews, isn't it? I mean, when you compare this phone to the SIII, the One X, and the Optimus G, this screen is a lot smaller if you don't count the space where the navigation buttons are.

I agree. I spent some time in the store with the Razr M when it was first released. I currently have the Droid Incredible 2 which has a 4" screen. The "M" has a 4.3" screen, but because of the onscreen buttons it was effectively the same size as my Inc 2. Since I'm wanting a larger screen that was a deal breaker. I'm hoping to get a look at the Razr HD this weekend, but I'm already a little disappointed to hear that it has the same design as the M. Someone said it's possible to turn off or move the buttons, but does that require rooting? I'm not interested in hacking the phone and in any case I'd rather have the buttons off-screen and always available as they are on the Inc 2.

Upvote 0
I think basically if you're going to have on-screen keys, then you need to make the bottom bezel smaller. Otherwise, what's the point? This phone is the same size as the HTC One X and Galaxy SIII, but you simply get to use less of the screen. It would make sense only if putting the keys on the screen meant they could reduce the footprint of the device.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones