• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Increase Speaker Volume

RWil85

Jan 17, 2011
I've searched and searched..only to find runaround after runaround.

can someone please elaborate (preferably on something that they have experience with and know works!) on an app/hack/mod that will allow me to increase the output of the main speaker on my Droid X?

I already have root access if that helps..thanks in advance!

Good luck,the Xs speaker is small,esp for such a big phone. The volume was increased with the froyo update,it was a noticable gain,but even after that it is still barely adequete compared to the original droid and blackberrys...I dont think theres anything else you can do without modifying the internals to accept a larger speaker,which probably wont fit.I try to cup the speaker with my hand to reflect the volume forward so you can at least hear it a little...

Reactions: RWil85
Upvote 0
I've searched and searched..only to find runaround after runaround.

can someone please elaborate (preferably on something that they have experience with and know works!) on an app/hack/mod that will allow me to increase the output of the main speaker on my Droid X?

I already have root access if that helps..thanks in advance!

There's a free app called Volume+ from the maker of the paid app Louder Volume Hack that I've been using to increase the volume beyond stock for both my headset and phone speakers. It works pretty well and you can definitely notice the difference. Has a bunch of presets too.

The developer said that it works like dsp manager but can get much louder. Make sure you have the system dsp manager turned off (that is, uncheck "enable audio effects" under media audio effects in sound settings) before using this app.

Anyway, here's the link:

[WIP/APP] Volume+ (Gingerbread) v1.6 - Bluetooth, Stereo Widening & Virtual Rooms! - xda-developers

I hope it works for you.

Just a quick edit, I know it might have been implied, but you do need to be rooted.

Reactions: RWil85
Upvote 0
thanks for the help guys..

I am already rooted and I downloaded Volume+..I played a song in PowerAmp and raised the speaker volume through Volume+ to the +3 setting and noticed a serious difference in the volume output through the phone's speaker..

now, here goes my stupid question..does that increase in volume output only affect 'media volume' or will it also increase volume output during phone calls (which is my real goal)??

Upvote 0
Well I tested it out by calling my phone from my wifes cell and the volume for the ringer never changed. I tested EVERY last setting I could in this app and my volume never changed. I even made sure the audio effects in the phone were off. Nada.

have you tried it while playing a song..that test worked for me.

however, i haven't found it to work for ringer/speakerphone/etc. which is why i wanted it, haha. i'm not trying to blow out my phone speaker playing music. :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones