• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Insurance after 30 days?

busybee

May 9, 2010
Hi all - I'm a long-time lurker, new poster because I've finally come across a question that wasn't already answered (at least that I could find). These boards are incredibly helpful - thanks, guys!

I've had my Eris since December and chose not to buy insurance when I first got it because I've never had any trouble at all with my previous phones. However, I'm now regretting that decision since I seem to be way harder on my first smart phone than on traditional cell phones.

My phone has gone flying a few times since I purchased it and while it's a testament to the phone that it's still in great working condition, I'm envisioning the next 18 months and am a little worried. I'd really rather not have to pay full price for a new phone or get a new contract if/when my beloved Eris does kick the can.

So my question to the boards is this: Is it possible to purchase insurance from Verizon, Asurion, etc. after the 30-day grace period? I don't have homeowner's insurance, so that option is out. I called Verizon to ask and was told no, but the woman who helped me also very confidently assured me that if I would just turn off my phone and turn it back on, I would have Android 2.1 on it (no really, she did), so I'd really rather get a second opinion.

Sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere, but I searched multiple times and couldn't find a relevant response. Anyone got any ideas whether about ways to get insurance after the grace period, or other cheap ways to replace my phone? Trying to be proactive here. Thanks!

i would suggest going into your local store. Maybe if one of the reps was able to see your phone in person (to make sure nothing is wrong with it up till yuor purchase of insurance) then he/she could maybe work something out.

while i have never had your specific question the verizon reps have always bent over backwards to get me what i wanted and save me money in the process! :D

Upvote 0
For the SGSII, anyway. I've seen instructions on how to remove the phone backing, then loop a lanyard available for the SGSII near the battery. However, upon opening the back of my phone, there was no way of connecting any lanyard. I honestly did not get the insurance because I was going to count on the lanyard wrapped around my wrist to avoid dropping it. But this was not to be. I explained this to the rep, saying this was an extenuating circumstance, and for that, they should give me the insurance.
He then put me on hold, got back on the line, and place a call to my phone to see if it would go through. Of course, it did go through, and I got my insurance!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones