• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

insurance let's me do what?

discohornet

Dec 27, 2009
I bought insurance at 5 bucks a month from Verizon, but I'm curious about what that might actually mean for me. Rather than calling the people who are issuing it to me, fearing they might just tell me what I want to hear, I figured I'd hit you all up!

I just bought a new case for my droid razr, wanting to protect it from my own fumbling hands. But then my girlfriend asked, why do I care? After all I have insurance! If I drop it or break it I'll just get a new one, right? Something didn't sound right about that deal. So what gives? I get a crappy refabbed unit? I have to jump through tons of hoops?

So what happens when I actually break this thing and need to call on this insurance?

i have the insurance too, and while i can't give you specifics of how it works right off the top of my head, i generally don't want my phone to get damaged just because it's insured and i can get a replacement. i have insurance on my truck too, but that doesn't mean i park it with the windows down and leave the keys on the seat.

Upvote 0
I don't know the exact specifics but while insurance will replace your device (likely with a refurb) for any reason it's not free. There is a deductible, depending on the device, it's between $45 to $100.

When we got my wife her Droid Charge, the deductible was $100. We said f-it and put it in a case and got extended warranty ($3/mo) that has no deductible and will replace the device (with a refurb) if it has issues on its own accord.

When I got my RAZR I'm pretty sure the deductible dropped to $45, at least on the pre-release sale. You can look at VZW's site and find all the info.

Upvote 0
Insurance will replace your device for ANY reason , lost, stolen, dropped, cracked, bricked, water damage, etc... pretty much anything you can imagine. Only cons for some people are that you get a refurb, which in my opinion is just fine if not better, cause a new device is no different within 2 or 3 days of having it and was put in the box and shipped, versus being troubleshooted and repaired of any bugs before being sent out. Also, there is a deductible which is 45 or 50 for normal phones, and 100 for smartphone as far as I've experienced, as well as the fact your only allowed 2 claims in a 12 month period. Should be pretty factual info as I've dealt with asurion quite a bit in the past ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones